Yoga girl with 35lbs to lose!

Options
Hey everyone,
I've never ever ever tried to actually lose weight before so this is all very new and kind of frightening to me! I've always been a 'large girl', I have a large frame, am very curvy and raaather tall (5'10), and there have been times when my weight has been somewhat okay although them BMI numbers have just never worked out for me (and probably never will, but it's a silly system anyway). I used to despise my body as a side effect of being a confused teenager battling her first depression and it went so far that I started cutting myself a lot because I couldn't stand how disgusting my body appeared to me. These tendencies have since been more or less suppressed but there are still a lot of times when I see my body and I get so anxious that I am close to grabbing something sharp and ruining it further, and I'm so tired of it. I realise that a lot of this is due to anxiety and difficulties handling reoccurring depression, but I also think that a change in my body might motivate me to look more positively at myself and who I am. Aaaand on top of that being healthy and exercising are two pretty vital things if you want to feel better in general. I also tend to feel better if I'm engaged in different projects and have something to work towards, so last year I've decided that I'm doing this; I'm going to lose weight!

At first I just wanted to get a bit slimmer, I was kind of okay with my general shape (when not being anxious etc) but I was unhappy with the flabbyness surrounding me like an ugly sweater. Actually getting started with my diet I'm now set on reaching a more ideal weight for my height and body; 176lbs/80kgs. This might still sound like a lot but I'm just too curvy and large in general to look good if I'd lose more weight than that, at least that's what I believe.

Since I can't stand exercising in general I've chosen to do weight loss yoga, which I absolutely love. And as for my diet I've replaced breakfast and lunch for Juiceplus shakes for two months, and on top of that I eat healthy snacks and a healthy dinner. I'm a strict vegetarian who mostly eats vegan meals, and so far it works really well and I'm enjoying food so much more ever since I got in control of what I'm eating. I'm cooking a lot more diverse food now and I've learned to finally control those portions, and I already feel a lot better. I used to feel bloated and sick after meals more often than not, this has turned around completely.

As for my progression, well, it's been 2 weeks and a half and I've lost 4lbs (even though it says 2 here since I put down the wrong weight initially) and I'm struggling a lot with motivation and patience. Aaanyway, this is far too long, but I'd love to hear from others who might be on a similar diet or workout scheme, or just get new friends in general. I need motivation!

Replies

• kayholt2012
    kayholt2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You will make lots of friends here! You can add me!

I have about 35lbs to lose total. In high school I weighed 198.8, lost 50 in order to join the military, got pregnant and now I am back up to 198.8. Having to lose all that weight AGAIN really sucks!!! But I have a goal in mind and I will do what ever it takes (healthy) to accomplish it!

Need someone to talk to?!?! We are all here!
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you've struggled so much with yourself but it's good that you're making positive, healthy changes :) sending you a friend request! :)
  • bluejerry
    Options
    Making a decision to act shows courage! Keep up the good work.

My only suggestion is something I have told my wife of 28 years, Numbers suck!
    The scale is not your friend, when you Feel good, you will naturally look good. Find the weight that makes YOU feel good, not what the world says you should weigh.

I was at 287, lost 100, gained 50 and just in the last few weeks lost 7. I completely Understand your comment about not wanting to get below a certain weight and that BMI sucks. When I got to 187 my wife told me to not go much further because of the way it made me look gaunt.

Long winded way of saying Keep at it and know you are not alone!

Jerry
  • klund73
    klund73 Posts: 10
    Options
    Add me!! Add me!!! We can support each other!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Hello, add me. I don't love high impact exercise, but I do like weights. I just find that I can't do them because my shoulders really can't take the strain. Too many years of being hunched over a computer. I am really loving barre exercises. They are low impact and great for toning. Good luck on your journey. You can do it!
  • minkmagic
    Options
    Oh, thanks for your responses, everyone! My yay!pool has already increased :D My main problem in general is patience, I find it extremely difficult to think forward and to believe in a change you can't necessarily see straight away, but that's why it's great being on here and seeing other people achieving their goals.

And I have to admit I'm pretty scared about the whole post-pregnancy weight issue, but I suppose that's just something you have to deal with. And if you did it once you can do it again :3

I couldn't agree with you more, Blueberry, it's all about how you feel and not what the numbers say. It's also important to be aware of your body type and what you need/don't need, rather than striving to reach a certain number on the scale. I have been checking the scales far too much lately and it's making me feel very uncomfortable, so I'm limiting it to once a week now. And again, thank you!!
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a tall lady too (5'11) and have around 35-40 lbs to lose as well! I've been trying to go completely vegetarian for a while and would love some recipe and menu suggestions. Adding you now!
  • SVPQR
    SVPQR Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your doing a great job Mink! 2 lbs a week is about what you should be losing per week. It can be tough to stay motivated but it sounds like your more than on the right track! Please feel free to add me and perhaps we can keep each other motivated towards our goals. From my experience greatness should be measured by how we react to our defeats, I have strayed from my diet on occassion (I did last night) but I beat myself up about it and continue to move forward, so as you move further down the road and as it gets harder try to keep in mind what you really want and why you are doing all this to begin with! best of luck Mink!