When you prelog workouts, do you stick to it and do them?

Options
I've heard that a trick to sticking to a workout routine is to prelog the workout. I don't know if this would work for me or not, but I'm willing to try it! The only thing is, I use an HRM so the prelog would be a rough estimate of calories burned and I would have to log back on post workout and adjust it to reflect accurate calories burned.

When you prelog your workouts, do you find it an effective strategy to stick to your workout schedule?

Replies

• saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do find it can push me more. Sometimes I log before, other times I don't. But when I do then think "err, I can't really be bothered" and it's prelogged I give myself a mental kick to just do it. Always feel better for it afterwards. :)
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I prelog all workouts except the cardio workouts. I also pre log my foods on the days I work because I pack all my foods for the day. I may not always eat them in that order but I don't cheat at work and eat the junk people bring in
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    I don't pre-log workouts as I use a HRM to track my workout cals. But I could see how it would benefit those that have trouble not wanting to do exercise, fortunately for me exercise is quite enjoyable :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Whenever I pre-log, I stick to it. I usually just pre-log my meals for the day.
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    i pre log my meals and exercise the night before. That seems to work for me,making sure i am right on track. I enjoy exercising so if I go more than I pre logged, BONUS! I just go back and add it
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my workouts is better for me simply b/c I always write mine out anyways. This way Im seeing the "calorie burn" according to MFP (I just use that # as an over estimate for my burn that day. I never consume many -maybe 100 or 200- of them back).

Added bonus of pre-loggin your workouts - if you have a supportive group of friends (and you're like me and your emails come thru on your mp3 player) you often get encouraging messages during the duration of your workout - they're pushing you and they dont even know it
    ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. You say the hrm may prevent you from accurate pre logging. Don't you find that when you do the same workout that the calorie burn is the same? Like, if you did the elliptical for 45 mins on weds and then for 45 mins on Friday at the same settings, wouldn't you burn a similar number of calories?

And if the number varied wildly, wouldn't you attribute that to the hrm being off? Or would you assume your body works differently some days than others?

To answer your original question, the trick to working out consistently is to commit to it. If you say you're going to do it, go ahead and do it. Pre logging works for people that were going to do the work whether they prelogged or not. Pre logging IS very helpful in figuring out your meal plan for the day, but commitment is what is going to get you to lace em up and get the work done
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've never pre-logged. I would do more than what I logged anyway so no point if I have to change it
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Yes the burn would most likely be the same, but I am the type of person that wants an exact calorie burn number to add in MFP.
    The reason why I posted this is I'm not very motivated to work out at all. I find every excuse in the book not to, so I'm trying to find anything at all to help motivate me more to just get it done.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just like I plan my meals for the week ahead of time (with flexibility), I plan when I'm going to go to the gym and what I ideally would like to do there. Kind of like making a date with myself. I've found that if I pre-log it, I will not go back and change it, and I'm being very honest with my diaries on here so I can't lie on it...thus, I need to go and do what I set out to do.

See if it works...if it does, great and keep at it. If not, keep doing what you're doing and log it in afterwards. So long as you do it! :-)
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I never prelog workouts. Sometimes I prelog my meals to plan ahead for the day but I never press the complete the day button until the very end of the day when I know I'm not eating anything else.