The secret: second-order change

lisa811
lisa811 Posts: 363
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've learned recently about "first-order" vs. "second-order" change. This is the key to changing any part of your life, including weight-loss/getting healthy.

I believe the reason most people fail, or gain everything back later, is they never get past making it a first-order change. Below is the gist of it, borrowed from The National Academy for Academic Leadership. SO...WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO MAKE THIS NEW LIFESTYLE A SECOND-ORDER CHANGE???

First- and Second-Order Change

* First-order change is doing more – or less – of something we are already doing. First-order change is always reversible.
* Second-order change is deciding – or being forced – to do something significantly or fundamentally different from what we have done before. The process is irreversible: once you begin, it is impossible to return to the way you were doing before.

The characteristics of first- and second-order change

* First-order change
o Adjustments within the existing structure
o Doing more or less of something
o Reversible
o Restoration of balance (homeostasis)
o Non-transformational
o New learning is not required
o Old story can still be told
* Second-order change
o New way of seeing things
o Shifting gears
o Irreversible
o Often begins through the informal system
o Transformation to something quite different
o Requires new learning
o New story is told

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Great post!!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Nice! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Great way of putting it. I've thought about it in those terms, but never expressed it so clearly. Thank you.

* Second-order change
    o New way of seeing things
    (Wow - my old diet sucked! I'm lucky to be alive)
    o Shifting gears
    (I can't do that anymore, I didn't feel good)
    o Irreversible
    (I don't want to go back, I feel better)
    o Often begins through the informal system
    (Ok,,, not for me. MFP logging and calorie control is one of the most "formal" and regimented things I've ever done)
    o Transformation to something quite different
    (Big salad, small steak, bicycle ride - in place of - No salad, chicken wings, Tv on couch)
    o Requires new learning
    (Am now conscious of everything that goes in the pie hole,,, constantly a "running tallly")
    o New story is told
    (I'm not fat anymore! I feel great! I never have to be fat again!)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    I am not sure how I got there but I must be in the second stage. I see food very differently now. Thanks for a great post.

PS Casper - you make me smile:bigsmile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Lisa, this was awesome! I love the part about not being reversible. I hope so!! I am always afraid that I will go back to my old ways and gain the weight back.

D
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I definitely agree that it's irreversible. I've been on this lifestyle change now for 4 whole months, going on my 5th month at the start of May and I never want to go back! Of course every now and then I eat junk food but I never want to eat JUST crap or NOT exercise because I feel amazing and I'm seeing results! I love this!! :happy:
  • This is a phenomenal concept and really something to think about. Hopefully all of us here can make this a second-order change!
This discussion has been closed.