Diets Don't Work...This Does

Options

Replies

• peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am a numbers and science guy.

Attitude can change how you feel. It cannot change reality.

I'd advise against ignoring food rules and diet rules. No matter how you feel, 3500 calories is still 1 pound of fat and eating above TDEE is still weight gain.

it's funny you should point that one out. For me, I love the numbers too. I think it is a balance. I still watch what I eat and count the calories. And I'm not going to stop. I need that to continue to become healthier. Perhaps a revision of rule number 2 is in order. :)

Regarding the science I think every body is different. And due to the comlexity of the food combinations we need to eat to be healthy the benefit or harm any one food can do will take us decades if not centuries to figure out. This is very interesting and I look forward to what more reserach reveals. For sure we know most veggies and fruits are good. Processed foods bad. red meat bad. Strength training and cardio good.
  • peterdt
    Options
    The one thing that has helped me most as a binge eater isn't on there.

Know your triggers, then avoid them.

Maybe there aren't as many of us as I thought there were, though.

this kind of addresses binge eating:
    4. Become a mindful eater.
  • peterdt
    Options
    I have always known that diets dont work however it took me years and years of failed diets to come to the realization that what I needed to change was my perspective about life. I started a lifestyle change at the beginning of this month. I stocked my fridge with fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and other healthy foods and stored away the junk food(out of sight out of mind). I pay attention to portion sizes. I measure out all my food which helps with keeping track on mfp and I incorporate exercise into my day whether it be playing with my child, going to the gym or doing some housework. I try my best to be more active. I drink plenty of water. I buy and prepare most of my meals however on occasion I eat at a restaurant and avoid fast food and try and pick the healthiest items on the menu. Now and then I indulge in something i am craving however I try to eat a single serving of that item and of course calculate it into my daily calories. With all these changes I don't feel limited or deprived like I used to in the past on my diets.

sounds like you are doing great so far! I am doing almost everything same as you. Except sometimes I feel limited or deprived which is bound to happen when you've been at it for 8 months. watch the 6 month mark..... for some reason that is a difficult time for most people "dieting".
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The one thing that has helped me most as a binge eater isn't on there.

Know your triggers, then avoid them.

Maybe there aren't as many of us as I thought there were, though.

this kind of addresses binge eating:
    4. Become a mindful eater.

Hm true. You'll have to forgive me, ever since I realized some of my eating habits can be controlled simply by avoiding certain foods entirely I've been obsessed with it. :blushing:
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This is my plan exactly. Never seen it so well worded, though.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    They mention Health At Any Size, and talk about turning the focus from weight loss to health. It seems as if the intention is to improve physical and emotional health, rather than to lose weight.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am a numbers and science guy.

Attitude can change how you feel. It cannot change reality.

I'd advise against ignoring food rules and diet rules. No matter how you feel, 3500 calories is still 1 pound of fat and eating above TDEE is still weight gain.

it's funny you should point that one out. For me, I love the numbers too. I think it is a balance. I still watch what I eat and count the calories. And I'm not going to stop. I need that to continue to become healthier. Perhaps a revision of rule number 2 is in order. :)

Regarding the science I think every body is different. And due to the comlexity of the food combinations we need to eat to be healthy the benefit or harm any one food can do will take us decades if not centuries to figure out. This is very interesting and I look forward to what more reserach reveals. For sure we know most veggies and fruits are good. Processed foods bad. red meat bad. Strength training and cardio good.

If the "food rules" one is related to creating arbitrary rules for yourself that you're likely to break and then berate yourself (like, don't eat after 8, never have this or that food or food group, etc) then I still agree with that. But, we do have to acknowledge that the rules of physics, biology, thermodynamics and such do still apply! (ETA that triggers for binges might be one good exception to the "no rules" though.)
  • MasOyama
    Options
    DIETING DOES NOT WORK. THIS IS WELL ESTABLISHED BY SCIENCE.
  • BigTnew
    BigTnew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    dieting worked for me

+1
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean much to me.
    As far as I am concerned, absolutely everyone is "on a diet". We've all got some style of eating, and that makes up our diets.

The only thing that has ever worked for weight reduction for me is to go on a diet different from what I usually eat. This time I need to keep paying attention when I reach maintenance. What I've done in the past is go on a diet until I lost all the weight I wanted to lose, then I returned to my "normal" diet.
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

The only thing that has ever worked for weight reduction for me is to go on a diet different from what I usually eat. This time I need to keep paying attention when I reach maintenance. What I've done in the past is go on a diet until I lost all the weight I wanted to lose, then I returned to my "normal" diet.

Forgive me, I'm trying to understand. So you are planning to be 'dieting' for the rest of your life on your new diet that's different from 'normal'? Is that not where it all starts to unravel?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here is my plan broken down into similar steps.

My weight loss plan

1. Education: Read and discuss to
    A. Understand the physiological and psychological aspects of “dieting”.
    B. Learn about optimum Nutrition
    C. Understand and practice goal setting

2. Remember there is no BAD food, only portion size and choice.

3. It is not about all-or-nothing. Be flexible. Breathe. Relax.

4. Be mindful when planning food and eating.

5. Instead of focusing on reduced body weight, focus on health and wellness.

6. Feel good about how I look right now.

7. Have compassion for myself.

8. Help others through support and encouragement.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concerned, absolutely everyone is "on a diet". We've all got some style of eating, and that makes up our diets.

You are correct...what a person eats IS their Diet. But most people recognize the word "diet" as a plan to lose weight. That is, see the number on the scale go down, become thinner or at least less fat/heavy.

I wish you luck with your plan. I'm nearly 70 and I have repeated your plan too many times to count, eventually gaining back all the body fat that was lost, even with the intention of careful maintenance. For me it is now about permanently changing the way I eat. My food plan (diet if you want to call it that ) is about heatlhy whole foods, controlling portions, limiting sweets.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well, if your goal is weight loss, "dieting" does work, it is in fact the only thing that works.

edit: unless you want to get technical and include people who exercise enough to lose weight without dieting, and people with hormone disorders etc
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    First, I'm not really sure what is meant when the OP speaks of dieting. Does that mean following some prescibed diet plan that's based on a book that someone wrote? Or does that mean having a nutritional plan that involves a calorie defict and marconutrient targets? If it's the first, I'm out. If it's the second, I'm in. So the generic use of the work "diet" leaves too much open to interpretation.

Secondly, I think any plan that involves more that 3 to 5 key elements is too complicated and compliance becomes an issue and the potential for discourgement and failure go up exponetially with each additional element that's added. So I like to keep it simple:

-Moderate calorie defict 15% to 20% below TDEE
    -Macronutrient targets that allow adequate nutrition to maintian health and meet my fitness goals.
    -Nutrition comprised of at least 80% whole foods.
    -Exercise 3 to 5 days per week. 3x strength training to maintain muscle mass and 2x cardio for overall health and endurance.

That's it. Not 8 or 12 things to follow. No long lists. I can stay focused on those 4 things and I don't elminate or restrict and foods as long they fit my calorie and macro targets. Beautifully simple and very effective.
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love your revised version, and it is very practical. Thank you for sharing. :D

:heart: Please Add ME To Your Friends Support Team, I am looking for like minded individuals who are at the beginning, middle, or near goal in their journey to help me stay motivated and positive. I love a great sense of humor! I have a long road ahead of me, and need a good network of friends. :heart:

Ketsy
    40, Female
    GTA, Ontario, CANADA

9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dieting is working for me.
  • peterdt
    Options
    First, I'm not really sure what is meant when the OP speaks of dieting. Does that mean following some prescibed diet plan that's based on a book that someone wrote? Or does that mean having a nutritional plan that involves a calorie defict and marconutrient targets? If it's the first, I'm out. If it's the second, I'm in. So the generic use of the work "diet" leaves too much open to interpretation.

Secondly, I think any plan that involves more that 3 to 5 key elements is too complicated and compliance becomes an issue and the potential for discourgement and failure go up exponetially with each additional element that's added. So I like to keep it simple:

-Moderate calorie defict 15% to 20% below TDEE
    -Macronutrient targets that allow adequate nutrition to maintian health and meet my fitness goals.
    -Nutrition comprised of at least 80% whole foods.
    -Exercise 3 to 5 days per week. 3x strength training to maintain muscle mass and 2x cardio for overall health and endurance.

That's it. Not 8 or 12 things to follow. No long lists. I can stay focused on those 4 things and I don't elminate or restrict and foods as long they fit my calorie and macro targets. Beautifully simple and very effective.

Glad that works for you and may work for some. I think most people need to address the mental part of "dieting". Some of weight gain has to do with bad habits too.
  • peterdt
    Options
    Well, if your goal is weight loss, "dieting" does work, it is in fact the only thing that works.

edit: unless you want to get technical and include people who exercise enough to lose weight without dieting, and people with hormone disorders etc

sure, it works in the short term. 95% of people who diet without lifestyle change gain it back.
  • peterdt
    Options

I think that some people might define that as yo-you dieting.