what can replace me snacking on endless fruit?

Options
I can literally eat bags of apples/pears/any fruit basically on a daily basis. On ave, per day i will snack on 6/7/8 pieces of fruit mostly apples and pears.

I realise this is not good as it's basically water and sugar - what is a healthy replacement snack for me?

It's evening time and i would normally snack on apples after my dinner, i am trying to replace this habit, i do feel hungry, what could i have? i got a craving for a diet coke so have had one - maybe i am missing the sugar?!

any ideas?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    How about incorporating more veg into your day? They would help fill you up and then you could save some fruit for evening snacks - and have veg then too, of course. I haven't looked at your diary - do you have calories left to use up?
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, nuts, and Clif bars are great alternatives for me.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    OK, so most days you don't seem to log any food, and on the days you do, you only have a couple of hundred. Eat proper food and log it is the best advice I can give. If you don't know how much to eat I strongly recommend that you read and apply this -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    First, fruit is full of micro-nutrients, not just sugar and water. That said, if you're eating so much fruit you're not getting enough of other things it is a problem. However, looking at your food diary, I'm not seeing all that much fruit, so I'm not sure what the issue really is. I do think the suggestion to try eating more veggies is probably a good one though. Veggies are low-calorie, full of micro nutrients, and can be filling.
  • Louisa_L
    Louisa_L Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try adding more fibre to your diet which will help you feel more full for longer. I think with the whole sweet thing, it's just something you have to break the habit of. I suffer from it too. My go-to when I'm craving something sweet but don't have calories left for fruit, is a cup of tea. It fills me up and settles down my sweet cravings.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    celery is good. You almost burn mor calories eating it than it has in it. :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating a ton of fruit, as long as you stay under your calorie goal. Your body knows what to do with it.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Carrots...cucumbers..other yummy veggies
  • veggiesandkate
    veggiesandkate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Veggies help but fruits are still great. Some have lost weight on diets based on tons of fruits. I would suggest maybe green drinks that are heavy on the veggies with some fruits added. Also nuts are helpful. :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, raw broccoli, greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter (natural) on celery.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The fruit isn't THAT bad. Has it been causing you any real issues? There are a lot more than simple sugar and water in the fruit... also fiber and nutrients. Maybe cut it down to 4 pieces and use the rest for some veggies and a dip,gum, items sweetened with stevia if you are having a sweet tooth (I like chia pudding), ect.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You should probably add some healthy fats and proteins ... nuts may be an alternative. As others suggest - more fiber can help too. A glass of coconut milk. The problem with carbs in fruit - the come and go quickly :-)
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    when I added more protein, in the way of a protein shake, it had the effect of stopping my cravings for sugar, and other things I shouldn't have...so was able to safely eat smaller amounts of these things...it made a big difference in the amount of food I ended up eating....and I NO LONGER pick something and then EAT THE WHOLE PKG.... try this...maybe it will help you......
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with consuming a lot of fruit. The benefits outweigh the negatives. Fruit is a excellent source of fiber, better than nuts. One of the benefits of fiber is that it's a thermogenic so it will aide you in burning off the sugar. The sugar intake is slowed down by the fruit itself so it's not the same as the fructose in something like a fruity drink.
    The problem is other sugars we consume around fruit. I would rather eat 10 apples than a slice of pecan pie if you get my meaning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    more veg....try to keep your servings of fruit to 2 per day and shoot for 4 servings of veg...also nuts are great, but high calorie...they're my go to when I need to up my intake with exercise calories, etc.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I can not ignore the irony of your profile picture and this post.

Eating fruit is not necessarily bad, but as someone else mentioned, if all you're eating is fruit it's likely depriving yourself of other things. Are you drinking enough water/liquids though? I ask because both of those fruits (apples/pears) seem like foods you could grab if you were thirsty- not hungry (but I may be grasping at straws there).

Other snacks you could try: hard boiled eggs, nuts, cut up veggies, yogurts
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    First of all... nothing wrong with snacking on some apples and pears. They are certainly not empty calories, but yeah when you're trying to lose weight 8/day may be a bit much. Some snacks I like:

Beef jerky
    Cucumbers
    garlic roasted asparagus (I like it cold the next day_)
    carrots like all root vegetables, a bit higher in sugar, but lots of nutrition in them as well.
    Kale chips. OMG, Kale chips. you can sprinkle them with popcorn salt or the very fine "cheese" powder You can make a week's worth at a time.
    I don't love raw broccoli so I very lightly steam it and then let it go cold and I sometimes snack on this. It's still crunch, but I don't feel like I'm chewing on a hedge.
    Sunflower seeds IN THE SHELL. It take a long time to open each one and eat it so it's hard to do a lot of damage.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots!! I know i know... sugar! but hey its still healthy.
    how about raw veggies like broccoli, cauliflower or even raw orange/red/yellow sliced peppers? those are sweet, and very good. ali Sweeney from Days of our lives/Biggest loser says thats one of her big time yummy snacks!
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat sunflower seeds for the flavor and for the oral fixation; sometimes I want to eat when I'm not hungry so I'll grab a cheekful or two. BBQ and ranch are my faves :)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy, but it sounds like you need more balance. Maybe you need more vegetables?

Suggestions:

Hard boiled eggs.
    Salads, esp with chicken or fish added
    Celery and peanut butter or cream cheese
    Veggies and dip
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You, eating some other stuff. How about some yogurt, nuts, vegetables, boiled eggs, smoothies with greek yogurt and/or protein added?