High protein on-the-go breakfast ideas!

Options
prepchick87
prepchick87 Posts: 5 Member
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some inspiration with regards to breakfast. I prefer it to be something I can take with me to work / prepare the night before... any ideas? Preferably with ingredients I can find in the UK :-)

Thank you folks!

Replies

• stinkinstone
    stinkinstone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs are easy to take with you. Ground chicken sausage. Kashi go lean cereal.
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe last week and it's a perfect on-the-go breakfast and super filling too - they're sort of like a baked omelet:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html

I also love this heat-and-eat overnight steel cut oats recipe - it's perfect to take with you and eat at work (if you have that option)
    http://bethsjourney.com/heat-n-eat-steel-cut-oats/
  • jollyjo777
    Options
    I like the EAS protein shakes. 17grams of protein 100 calories. Plus an apple.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe last week and it's a perfect on-the-go breakfast and super filling too - they're sort of like a baked omelet:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html

That's what I was going to suggest. It's an awesome recipe and you can switch it up with whatever meats/veggies/cheeses you have in the house so it's not boring.
  • prepchick87
    Options
    Sweet! Especially love the idea of the egg muffin things...
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    i normally buy organic oats from tesco. put about 70g in a bowl before bed...in the morning, i wake up add boiling water to the bowl until its 2/3 cm above the oats and cover it, then go brush my teeth, get ready and all that. by the time im done, the oats have soaked the water...next step is to mix in a scoop of whey protein into your oats, and viola! you have 20-30g of protein in one go depending on your whey along with good carbs for slow release energy. feel free to add other things to your oats..i normally add some sultanas and cinnamon.
  • kathivg
    kathivg Posts: 30
    Options
    I also recommend a hard boiled egg. I boil at least 5 on Sunday evenings. Eggs in saucepan with cold water, let come to a boil, lt boil 1 minute, turn of burner, leg eggs sit in pan until water reaches room temperature, store eggs in water in refrgerator. I have one of these eggs, a Light Baby Bell cheese, and half an english muffin for breakfast.

I pack my lunch the night before and fill out my food for the next day on MFP - it's helped me stay on track.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup rolled oats
    1/3 cup greek yogurt
    1/3-1/2 cup almond milk
    chia seeds or ground flax
    any flavourings you like - cinnamon, different extracts, etc
    1-2 servings of fruit chopped

Let it sit overnight in the fridge. Mix well in the morning and add a little extra almond milk if needed. Top with nut butters, chopped nuts, or anything else you like in the morning. You can mix in some sweetener too if you need it, but depending on your tastes it's not necessary.

These are just estimates on the portions - Search over night oats and you'll find loads of recipes and different suggestions. I just never bother really looking it up or measuring. Tons of great flavour combinations though!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have mentioned - for added protein, mix in protein powder if you like. It tastes great in oats, as well!

Alternatively, a protein shake is always a good on-the-go breakfast.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    peanut butter on ryvita

cottage cheese - whole small pot

small block of cheese with apple

plain yoghurt with chopped fruit

tinned oranges with peanut butter
  • BeckyS32
    BeckyS32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with 1 cup of fruit. I also add some truvia. Keeps me full until lunch, most days. I also always have some cheese sticks at work if I get hungry before lunch. Works well for me!
  • squatuntilyoudrop
    Options
    I usually make superhealthy yummie foods to bring to school. Some of my lunches/breakfasts:

- Chicken meatballs. Just buy one pack of minced chicken (I usually make 400 grams for 2 days, or you can make a big batch and keep it in the fridge or freezer) I always use different mixes of spices or make "chilliballs", one green and one red chilli chopped in small pieces and added in the minced meat before you make the small balls. Fry in the pan until their cooked trough.

- Homemade granola with quark and berries, mangos or kiwis (or all)

- whole-grain crispbreads with low-fat cream cheese and turkeyham

- salad with yesterdays dinner chicken breast, chopped

- omelett with turkey/bacon (you can make it the day before)

p.s. Watch out for hungry friends. They always want my food because it looks and tastes so delish.. Acctually, the meatballs have become a trend in my class :)
  • prepchick87
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I've never thought about adding protein powder to things - I always just tip it into some milk and drink it straight.
  • DivaVampTina
    DivaVampTina Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can you post the brands you use and nutrition info? Sounds yummy! Thanks:)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    1 tsp peanut butter with cottage cheese
    cottage cheese with 100g frozen mixed berries
    oats with water and berries and seeds
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump for the great ideas
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great alternative to regular (much more protein), and if you don't have a fridge at work, you can try what I do, which is a cup of whole-grain cereal with some nuts (usually walnuts or pecans) sprinkled in.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus + Milk

Then mix at work :)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've started doing a breakfast wrap with turkey bacon, peppers, chillies and eggs all scrambled together in a non-stick pan (no added oil) with low fat mature cheddar, some hot sauce and a sprinkle of coriander (when I have some).

I'm planning to make a batch later today and pop them in the freezer so that they can then be thrown in the oven by my husband of a morning (he seems to have a habit of burning the bacon so I won't make him do it alone).

(Other times I have porridge with soy mince and hot sauce, but I think that's a weird me thing.)
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Banana pancakes! Half a cup of wholemeal flour, 1 egg, 1 banana (mushed), 1/2 cup of milk (more if it's too thick) and agave nectar / equal if you want them a bit sweeter.... fry them with a spray of cooking oil and yes, you can add protein powder as well. If you make them pikelet sized they're not too high in calories and you'll get 10 - 12 from that batch. Great to keep in the fridge :)