Nostalgia: What were the best concerts you ever attended?

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
it's been many years since the last time i went to a concert, but my top 3 would be something like this...

- U2 when they were still playing arenas back in early 1985 (The Unforgettable Fire tour).
- The Cure in 1987.
- Gene Loves Jezebel/New Order/Echo & the Bunnymen in 1987.

BTW, there's audio from that U2 concert here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSDkmNvWfo

the DC police tried to arrest Bono after the show for "inciting a riot". he didn't. he saw a Crowd Control meathead push some kid who was in the aisle and it pissed him off, so he stopped the show for a moment and said he didn't like to see "Crowd Control" because U2 crowds could control themselves. IIRC, it was during "Bad" when he called everyone to come on down and gestured with his hand... for a moment, nobody was really sure he was serious, but pretty soon people started streaming down toward the stage. seating no longer mattered. i ended up standing on a chair on the aisle in the 2nd row and spent the rest of the concert there... perhaps 12 or 15 feet away from Bono and almost at eye level for the rest of the show. it was a pretty amazing show for a kid just graduating HS.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Although these really aren't what I listen to, these were incredible live acts:

Los Lobos

George Thorogood
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Bon Jovi, Metallica, Monsters of rock tour back in the day!
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Queen, April Wine and Kiss :laugh:
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Taking Back Sunday at Clutch Cargos many years ago. Insane show. Right after Louder Now came out.

I've been to so many its hard to pick out the best. The worst was Nickelback. I dont even know how I ended up at their concert but I was there. -_-
  • CraigAtter
    Options
    Metallica 93 at Milton Keynes Bowl - awesome
    Korn 97 - Nottingham Rock City
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Aerosmith at the Manning Bowl in 1985!!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I've been to many gigs. I don't go to major "concerts" because of crowd size. My favourite (top 5) so far have been

Skrillex (O2 Academy Bristol)
    Apocalyptica (O2 Academy Bristol)
    Patrick Wolf (Thekla)
    Andrew Bird (saw him twice now at Thekla and The Trinity Centre)
    Imogen Heap (O2 Academy Bristol)

Least fave were Enter Shikari and Ellie Goulding at the O2 in Bristol. Young crowd, bad experiences (wolf whistles straight in right ear, drink and ice being poured down back ugh! My daughter loved Ellie Goulding...*shakes head*)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Bon Jovi back in the 80's after their first album came out. Saw them at 6 flags in NJ.After the concert we stuck around and he came out of the dressing room in nothing but an itty bitty towel...:blushing:
    Aerosmith again in the 80s saw them in Savannah Ga. Awesome concert! White snake opened for them but they were horrible. Booed off the stage lol
  • johnjkkelly
    Options
    fishbone always put on a great show, but I saw them once with the mighty mighty bosstones and they all played together, that was pretty cool. The dead kennedys, the dead milkmen, blackflag, the pixies, the toadies but you know some of my friends bands back in the day playing small venues or an old warehouse with a keg of busch rank up there too
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    fishbone always put on a great show, but I saw them once with the mighty mighty bosstones and they all played together, that was pretty cool. The dead kennedys, the dead milkmen, blackflag, the pixies, the toadies but you know some of my friends bands back in the day playing small venues or an old warehouse with a keg of busch rank up there too

i always liked Fishbone, but never saw them. even listened to a bit of punk when i was younger, but never went to any shows down in DC (that was the HQ of the straight edge movement in the 80's) or in Pittsburgh during those years, although Bad Brains played the Stamp Union at University of Maryland when i was there. missed that too. i think i might have had a fraternity formal that night.
  • Cazmckay999
    Options
    Mick hucknell simply red last concert was great, before that run rig oooooo and was at 80's rewind concert was ace xx
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Radiohead in the Woodlands, 2001. It was such a great concert it was almost like a religious experience.
    Just amazing.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Joe Jackson at the Mosque (now the Landmark Theater) 1981

Miles Davis at Mosque, 1987. Saw Ray Charles at the Hampton Jazz Festival the same year.

Police during the Synchronicity tour at Norfolk Scope, Sting in a small show years later at William and Mary Hall, I think.

More recently, The National (band) at The National (venue) in 2008.

Hermit now, so I haven't been to a live concert in quite a while.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Alice Cooper on Halloween in the roundhouse in London. Was a cracker.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    RUSH. Best band there is.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Misfits and GWAR same show one night o fun!
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    Rage Against The Machine, Neil Young and Peaches. I don't even really like Peaches, but I got pushed over while she was walking over the crowd (holding her feet) and I got pushed over and she was like "Pick that lovely girl up!" even though she was halfway through a song!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Rush are always an awesome gig!

Queen were fantastic. As were Genesis.... and Aerosmith... and the Rolling Stones (years ago, I wish I could've afforded to go see this time too)

Worst one ever was a Meatloaf gig, I couldnt work out which song was which, in fact he'd got almost halfway through Bat out of hell before I (and a lot of the audience realised it was that song!)
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Queen & Cheap Trick, Long Beach Arena CA, 1980
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Queen in 1977 and Jethro Tull in 1979. Two great bands to have seen.