Qsymia...anyone?

Options
Hi- wondering if anyone has tried the new drug qsymia and had any results and/or side effects? It seems to have dropped off the face of the earth...

Replies

• 66skye
    66skye Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started it today. Looking for others that are on it or have been to see about the side effects and the results.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For many of you hoping for a miracle weight loss drug, this is not it, but it has been shown to be helpful.
    Qysmia is strongly recommended only for those who meet the following criteria.

First, if someone (man or woman) has a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater they qualify. As an example, a 5-foot, 4-inch woman who weighs above 180 pounds, or a 5-foot,’8-inch woman who weighs above 200 pounds meets the criteria.

Second, if someone (man or woman) has a BMI of 27 or greater and has high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and/or high cholesterol, they would qualify.

It is not recommended at all for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, for those who have glaucoma, have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). It's also not for someone who is taking an MAOI type of anti-depressant, or who has an unstable heart condition such as irregular heart rates.

Typical side effects of Phentermine are rapid heart rate, anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, and cottonmouth or dry mouth. The most common side effects of topiramate are numbness and tingling in the limbs, diarrhea dizziness, depression, nausea, memory problems and slowed movements.

Both medications cause loss of appetite which is why they work so well for weight loss.

Health care providers are advised to start with the lowest dose of Qysmia which is 3.75 milligrams of Phentermine and 23 milligrams of topiramate for two weeks. At that time depending on the input from the provider and patient, the dose may be doubled.

After two more weeks the dose can be increased again to 11.25 milligrams / 69 milligrams and then in another two weeks increased again to a maximum dosage of 15 milligrams / 92 milligrams. If weight loss is not achieved, then the patient must wean off Qysmia to reduce risk of seizures before stopping it completely.

Some patients may choose to stay at lower doses depending on side effects.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/19/qysmia-is-new-weight-loss-drug-right-for/

Basically, don't do unless your doctor is the one prescribing this to you and is overseeing your progress.

Instead, eat less and move more.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    isnt phenteramine the drug that was used in phen-phen?
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    also, agree that there is no easy fix. plus, this drug will most likely turn out to be just like phen-phen and redux of the 90's and be pulled off the market for untold heart damages, strokes, and deaths... i had friends that were on phen phen and redux in the 90s. they lost weight all right... but as soon as you go off the drug, you gain it all back and then more!! please just change your eating and exercise habits one day at a time.. no magic pills
  • jenna070469
    Options
    I have tried changing my diet and exercise habits and have always been so frustrated with the results. I have met with dieticians, eating counselors, and read books. With Weight Watchers I religiously logged my food and focused on lean protein and low carb veggies, cut my calories to 1,200 per day, added exercise and in 3 months lost less than 3 pounds! It was so frustrating to work so hard and have the effects be the same as if I were gorging on junk food.

I have been taking Qsymia for less than a week and have lost 7 pounds. It is a powerful appetite suppresant and for the first time in my life it's not a struggle to eat in moderation. I know I am very new in taking the medication, but it has been freeing to know I'm not metabolically incapable of losing weight.

It is important for overall health to eat a reasonable, balanced diet. But it's also important to not be overweight.

It is not a magic pill. There are side effects. It may be pulled off the market, but as a severely obese person I am in danger of having a heart attack or other disabling health issues TODAY. Why would I not try a drug like Qsymia, especially since I've tried the eat healthy & exercise route and it has failed me? In this limited time Qsymia has given me encouragement to keep improving my eating. And losing just a few pounds makes me feel better able to exercise. It may not be for everyone, but if you are severely overweight you should do whatever is possible to improve your health, as long as your physician agrees it is a good choice for you.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was interested until I got to this part-
    Typical side effects of Phentermine are rapid heart rate, anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, and cottonmouth or dry mouth. The most common side effects of topiramate are numbness and tingling in the limbs, diarrhea dizziness, depression, nausea, memory problems and slowed movements.

Topiramate = TOPAMAX

Also known as dopamax or stupomax. Took it for a year. Never again. Memory problems translated to 'you will forget everything. Even to take the stupid medicine.' The aphasia was the worst part. I look back at things I wrote then and it's like 'okay, I don't even know what word I meant to put there.' I know it really helps some people, but after my brush with it, I avoid that one like the plague it was for me.

*sticks with diet and exercise*
  • lbuscani
    lbuscani Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Qsymia for nine months. I have lost 35 pounds. I have bingeing issues and it helps calm cravings. I'm capable of focusing on other things besides the binge du jour. I experience dry mouth, but it's kept in check if I drink the fluids I'm supposed to drink.

I've tried Redux, Phen-Fen, Meridian, and Belvique; so far, Qsymia has been most effective and kindest to my system. To be clear, I cannot rely medication alone. I do well when I can balance smart eating, activity, and self care. But I won't beat myself up if I choose to add medication to the toolbox. I'll take help anyway I can get it.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    It's 2024 and my doc just prescribed Qsymia. My healthcare provider says a patient needs to fail on these older and less expensive (and less effective) drugs, before considering Zepbound or Wegovy.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I'd never heard of Qsymia before here on MFP, it makes sense nobody else is speaking up. It may be pretty obscure.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I'd never heard of Qsymia before here on MFP
    The prescription arrived yesterday, I'm still unsure if it is right for me, and if I'm going to take Qsymia.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of Qsymia before here on MFP
    The prescription arrived yesterday, I'm still unsure if it is right for me, and if I'm going to take Qsymia.

If you decide to, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. Having taken both phentermine and Dopamax (not a typo, btw) and dealt with their respective side effects, I can't imagine taking the two of them together.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    If you decide to, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.
    With no small amount of disappointment, concern, and a bit of shame, I took the doctor perscribed first does of Qsymia this morning. It is an obesity/weightloss drug....that is older and much less effective than ones we are all hearing about. It's the starter dose 3.75/23mg, I am to take daily for two weeks to see about side effects.

My healthcare provider requires failing at older less effective drugs before considering new drugs like Zepbound, Wegovy.

So I'm starting the older less effective (with worse side effects) drugs Qsymia and I'm open to a miracle, but realistically this is my only path to possibly being prescribed a GPL-1.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    After two days I may have side effects or I'm hyper-sensitive. I'll need more time to start seeing if there is any negative (or positive) impact.
  • lisawhite1b188
    lisawhite1b188 Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    Qsymia is an FDA-approved prescription medication for weight loss that combines two drugs, phentermine and topiramate. Like any medication, it may produce varying results and side effects for different individuals. It's important for anyone considering Qsymia or any prescription medication to consult with a healthcare provider. They can provide personalized guidance, discuss potential benefits and risks, and monitor for any adverse effects based on an individual's health history and needs. Additionally, seeking out reviews or testimonials from others who have used the medication may offer insights, but individual experiences can vary widely.
  • chris_in_cal
    edited February 14
    Options

Hey @lisawhite1b188 thanks for the information.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    Chris fortunately or unfortunately you've been concerned about the drug from the very beginning.

This is a difficult position to be in when trying to evaluate the potential side effects and benefits you may experience and their relative magnitudes and risks.

I do hope and you find success!
  • lisawhite1b188
    lisawhite1b188 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It's 2024 and my doc just prescribed Qsymia. My healthcare provider says a patient needs to fail on these older and less expensive (and less effective) drugs, before considering Zepbound or Wegovy.

When my doctor told me I needed to take a drug I didn't want before he would prescribe the drug I did want, I accepted the prescription for the drug I didn't want, googled its side effects, and reported the ones that seemed reasonable for me to report. After a few months, I did get the drug I wanted. Which, BTW, was one I had taken while with a different insurance company. I had no side effects with my desired drug - the one I didn't want to take had a long list of side effects. My desired drug was not in the new company's formulary, hence the hoops.

I suspect your hoops are actually due to the nationwide shortage of semaglutides. I can't imagine a doctor saying, "Sure, the FDA has approved a new anti-depressant, but you have to fail on all the old anti-depressants before I will prescribe it."
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I suspect your hoops are actually due to the nationwide shortage of semiglutide

Earlier this week:

"Novo Nordisk last week said it had more than doubled its supply of lower-dose versions of its weight loss injection Wegovy in January compared with previous months, which will allow more people to start taking the drug."

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/10/weight-loss-drugs-novo-nordisk-eli-lilly-are-tackling-supply-issues.html

The FDA doesn't manufacturer or monitor manufacturering, they esimate. More from the report: "But there is limited data available on how significant shortages are or how much supply companies have."