Which type of protein? (NEWBIE, Please help)

Options
Hi there,

So have just started to work out at the gym and am hoping to get some advice as to what protein powder is best for me. I do cardio as a warm up for around 45 mins in total (usually a bike workout first, then cool down on the treadmill walking, a five or so minute break and a drink then some light cross trainer ) and then do work on the weight machines and target a specific area on that day: for example one day leg machines one day arms. I'm starting to do core at home with my boyfriend too (crunches etc).

I am hoping to get into maybe doing some free weights once I have got my general fitness up- obviously not extremely heavy ones but just so that I am working my legs and arms well.

I don't want to bulk up- I would like a little bit of muscle definition and would like to slim down a little bit. I was thinking about drinking my boyfriend's Whey protein isolate after each workout? Would that be okay? He does weightlifting and has three shakes a day, morning, after workout and evening time.

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'd start with how much protein you want to consume on a daily basis. Then use protein shakes to get them up to that number.
    I aim for 150g/day, and usually have 1 protein shake a day (after working out) to achieve that.

There's no problem you taking his protein powder, it's just whey...

Have a read of the new rules of lifting for women.

Also, don't do 45 minutes of cardio then weights. You won't be lifting the most you can after 45 minutes of cardio. Do 10 minutes cardio, then the weights, then back to the cardio.
  • Knottyham
    Options
    I'd start with how much protein you want to consume on a daily basis. Then use protein shakes to get them up to that number.
    I aim for 150g/day, and usually have 1 protein shake a day (after working out) to achieve that.

Also, don't do 45 minutes of cardio then weights. You won't be lifting the most you can after 45 minutes of cardio. Do 10 minutes cardio, then the weights, then back to the cardio.

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I feel ready to do weights I will do 10 or so mins cardio and then move onto the free weights, as that's what my boyfriend does and has suggested I do. I just want to get my confidence in the gym up a little bit first.

Where should I start with weights?

How do I figure out how much protein I should be consuming in a day?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    eat food, not powder.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    He suggested the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't tried it so I can't comment but look into It. There are a few lifting programs like Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength you can look into besides the New Rules of Lifting for women.

Find a protein you like. Whey protein is great.

You will not bulk. That is a myth perpetuated by the crap women's magazines out there. Let me say it again. You will not bulk from lifting weights.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I feel ready to do weights I will do 10 or so mins cardio and then move onto the free weights, as that's what my boyfriend does and has suggested I do. I just want to get my confidence in the gym up a little bit first.

Assuming you're average or slightly above you only need 30-70grams of protein a day. 50 is a good average.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    He suggested the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't tried it so I can't comment but look into It. There are a few lifting programs like Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength you can look into besides the New Rules of Lifting for women.

Find a protein you like. Whey protein is great.

You will not bulk. That is a myth perpetuated by the crap women's magazines out there. Let me say it again. You will not bulk from lifting weights.

You will bulk if you go crazy with it.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options

There are no 'new rules' for lifting for women, they can progress the same as a man, just tends to be a little tougher in the long run due to testosterone.

In regards to weights, you should just find a weight that allows you to get 8-12 reps out in a set as that is what most body builders do when 'cutting' (losing BF%)

And protein wise, you roughly need 1g of Protein per lb of LEAN muscle for maintenance
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

So have just started to work out at the gym and am hoping to get some advice as to what protein powder is best for me. I do cardio as a warm up for around 45 mins in total (usually a bike workout first, then cool down on the treadmill walking, a five or so minute break and a drink then some light cross trainer ) and then do work on the weight machines and target a specific area on that day: for example one day leg machines one day arms. I'm starting to do core at home with my boyfriend too (crunches etc).

I am hoping to get into maybe doing some free weights once I have got my general fitness up- obviously not extremely heavy ones but just so that I am working my legs and arms well.

I don't want to bulk up- I would like a little bit of muscle definition and would like to slim down a little bit. I was thinking about drinking my boyfriend's Whey protein isolate after each workout? Would that be okay? He does weightlifting and has three shakes a day, morning, after workout and evening time.

You won't bulk up from heavy weights or from whey unless you are a freak of nature: you have ~10% of the testosterone of your boyfriend, are presumably not eating a surplus of calories nor ever intending on doing a serious hypertrophy routine. Don't underestimate how much work it is for a female to bulk up, it takes serious dedication to diet and exercise regime plus supplements plus all too often anabolic steroids.

If you can already do a one hour workout and you are otherwise healthy your fitness is already enough to do high intensity cardio and strength training. Not sure what you are meaning by using 45 mins of cardio as a warm up or the treadmill as a mid workout cool down, that is not what warm ups and cool downs are for. A warm up should be five to ten minutes low impact easy conversational pace, then you should be doing a proper cardio workout on one or more machines, then weights (NB cardio and weights can be switched), then a cool down at the end right before your shower. If you take a break or do a cool down mid workout really you should warm up all over again.

For weight management and fitness the treadmill, elliptical trainer and the type of bikes you get in Spinning classes are best, the regular stationary bike and rowing machine are not as good so it's best to limit those. If you are working at the right intensity you should not be able to do more than about 20 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical - once you have warmed up do an intervals programme like Hills or Random, expect to be gasping for breath intermittently and legs like jelly when you are done. I often have clients start with just ten minutes each on the treadmill and elliptical, obviously not including the warm up, and they are toast.

Weight training wise you want to be doing heavy weights (for you) lifting with great technique, slowly and with control. As many large muscles at the same time is efficient and will support release of growth hormone which actually cuts fat (as well as developing muscle alongside testosterone). Doing arms is often a waste of time because the muscles are so small, these are worked when you train the large muscles in the chest and back anyway. For legs do leg press, squats, lunges, butt blaster, don't waste time on the leg extension and leg curl. The harder you train overall the better the 'afterburn' - your metabolism can be increased for up to two days - don't underestimate what you are capable of.

Crunches work the six pack muscle and hip flexors not the deep core, you will never get a flat stomach from crunches. No offense but I am not sure your boyfriend knows too much about the science of fitness or nutrition, you might be best getting a professional to advise you or researching the science yourself. For most people protein powders should be used as a supplement NOT as a food or meal replacement. Do you actually need more protein than you are consuming at present?
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    protein intake should be 1g per pound of body weight.
    whey protein is the easiest way to get your requirement in, but i suggest taking in natural sources too...incorporate lean meat, eggs, beans,tuna, cottage cheese, nuts and similar foods into your diet.
    also, try and be as less dependant on machines as possible when it comes to working out/weight lifting...go for free weights where possible, but since you say you are new, take it all slow, one at a time.
  • Knottyham
    Options

Not sure what you are meaning by using 45 mins of cardio as a warm up or the treadmill as a mid workout cool down, that is not what warm ups and cool downs are for. A warm up should be five to ten minutes low impact easy conversational pace, then you should be doing a proper cardio workout on one or more machines, then weights

Do you actually need more protein than you are consuming at present?

Hi,

I meant to say a warmup of cardio (usually 5 mins on the treadmill) then the bike workout for 20ish mins, a short break for a drink and a wipe down with a towel then 15 ish mins on the cross trainer. Then I do one of the weight machines. Usually cool down the whole workout with a 5 min fast walk on the treadmill.

I am not the best of eaters when it comes to things such as meat and eggs etc. That is why I am thinking that protein powder will help me get to my required protein intake.

I am 5.6 and around 60kg.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Not that I am an expert or anything, but the one thing I see new lifters at the gym doing that scares me is trying to lift too heavy too soon without a spotter. He or she goes in, manages one rep with whatever weight on a bar, then gets stuck after the downstroke because he or she cannot move the bar again...or worse, is injured.

As several have said, lift heavy, bearing in mind heavy is relative to the lifter! When you are finding your starting weight on bars or freeweights, please have someone there to help you.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well to get that muscle definition you need to lift heavy... girls do not bulk up! Plus building more muscle will help burn fat fasting while keeping lean body mass, so you will look all "toned". Don't be afraid of lifting heavy... I think you should:)

As for protein powder.... GNC's wheybolic chocolate is seriously the best i've ever had... SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! I have vanilla too, but i am too in love with the chocolate to even open it :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Not sure what you are meaning by using 45 mins of cardio as a warm up or the treadmill as a mid workout cool down, that is not what warm ups and cool downs are for. A warm up should be five to ten minutes low impact easy conversational pace, then you should be doing a proper cardio workout on one or more machines, then weights

Do you actually need more protein than you are consuming at present?

Hi,

I meant to say a warmup of cardio (usually 5 mins on the treadmill) then the bike workout for 20ish mins, a short break for a drink and a wipe down with a towel then 15 ish mins on the cross trainer. Then I do one of the weight machines. Usually cool down the whole workout with a 5 min fast walk on the treadmill.

I am not the best of eaters when it comes to things such as meat and eggs etc. That is why I am thinking that protein powder will help me get to my required protein intake.

I am 5.6 and around 60kg. If I'm working this out correctly will I need around 90g of protein a day?

No you do not need 90grams of protein a day.

here you go

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein
  • omidiano
    Options
    Start with SS babylover routine to gain strength/size eat big... lift hard sleep well
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

here you go

I'm sorry but you are wrong in this instance, that amount of Protein would only apply if you was in a coma or did nothing all day.
    If you are not eating enough Protein (1g per lb of lean muscle) then you will be using your muscles for energy and will lose any gains.

I am personally eating nearly 200g of Protein a day for my Maintenance, i do 5x5 split lifting.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

You need 198g of Protein if you were lifting a lot.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    THE PROTEIN WORKS is best site, i just use whey 80 protein, i don't use it in a way to get really muscly. just to up my protein so when i workout i burn more and tone :) they do all different flavours, like cherry bakewell, butterscotch ripple, choc, strawberry, banana, lemon shortcake....etc. i have a code you can use it gets you 250 free protein powder, in a flavour of your choice..its GW2124 i have my protein in shakes and in fat free greek yoghurts, very yummy! deffo reccomend the protein works, you get a free shaker/blender/scoops and its 1.99 delivery! :)
  • DeanBurrows
    Options
    Recent research shows that the RDA doesn't appear to meet the needs of exercising adults. One of the top researchers in this field, Dr Peter Lemon, stated in a recent review paper that, "the RDA for those engaged in strength training should be about 1.7 - 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body mass per day". Dr Lemon came to this conclusion after citing several studies (Fern, 1991, Tarnopolsky et al., 1992) which used amounts of protein ranging from 1.3 - 3.3 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

At Kent University researchers tested 3 different groups of people:

On a low protein diet which was 0.9 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.
    Another group eating 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.
    A group eating 2.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.
    Both sedentary and strength training groups were involved. The results showed that 1.4 grams resulted in protein synthesis while there were no changes in the low protein group and, finally, the group that ingested 2.4 grams of protein did not see any more increased protein synthesis than the 1.4 grams of protein group.

Just to back up what i said
  • Knottyham
    Options

here you go

I'm sorry but you are wrong in this instance, that amount of Protein would only apply if you was in a coma or did nothing all day.
    If you are not eating enough Protein (1g per lb of lean muscle) then you will be using your muscles for energy and will lose any gains.

I am personally eating nearly 200g of Protein a day for my Maintenance, i do 5x5 split lifting.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

You need 198g of Protein if you were lifting a lot.

Do you mean I am wrong?

I am sure that I would need more than 40 something g of protein a day?
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

Do you mean I am wrong?

I am sure that I would need more than 40 something g of protein a day?

No no, i was telling the person who is giving you wrong information that she is wrong.

You should be eating 198 grams of Protein a day, so eat whatever wholefoods you can with high protein amounts and just drink your BFs Whey to make up any remaining grams.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5.6 and around 60kg. If I'm working this out correctly will I need around 90g of protein a day?

Again whey is not a food replacement, it doesn't contain all the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) that real protein foods contain, unless it is fortified in which case you may as well munch on vitamin/ mineral pills. IMO you would be better concentrating on getting your diet more in order. You don't have to eat meat or eggs, you really should eat oily fish (protein plus vitamin D, various B vitamins, omega-3s) and dairy (protein plus calcium, vitamins B12 and D) both of which have been linked in studies to lower body fat. Nuts and seeds are also great sources of protein and packed with minerals and fibre to boot.

Try taking your sports bottle and mini microfibre towel on the cardio machines, keep the intensity up with continuous work because intensity is what is needed for results. IMO use the bike for the warm up and cool down, the treadmill and elliptical for the main body of the workout, you should burn more calories and get fitter than way and it trains your body in a different position - you probably spend much of the day seated in your car or at a desk or on the sofa, you don't need to be sitting in the gym too. Or are you getting your 10,000 steps every day outside the gym?

BTW you are already well within the healthy weight range for an adult female at a BMI of 21, so really should be working on body composition not weight loss - that means gaining muscle as well as dropping bodyfat, you can then end up slimmer yet the same overall weight not getting bulky. It would worth getting your bodyfat professionally tested to see how much work you have to do. But again, you need to be doing intense workouts concentrating on the weights not the cardio. Do they have any classes at your gym, BodyPump or Boxercise for example?