Need ideas for my kidlet

Options
2»

Replies

• JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but perhaps invest in a food dehydrator. I make my own beef, chicken and turkey jerky, You can dry apples, banana's and plantain which would atleast give him some fruit.,. I would look into making something like sweet potato fries, make them a little more crispy and maybe he would like them.

Try different kinds of nuts - since they all taste so different he may like them.... if he is looking for something sweet make them candied nuts with a bit of honey and brown them in the frying pan, not too many calories and takes the edge of wanting something sweet.

What a bout trail mix would he try something like that?
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a Friend Request.

I help moderate a feeding issues and aversion forum on a Pediatric GERD site.

I highly recommend you see professionals., nutritionist and a Behavior Psychologist who specializes in children with these feeding disorders. You will be amazed at the help they can be.

At one point (just for feeding) we were seeing Early Intervention (your son is too old for this, he's aged out of that type of program) for O.T. for feeding as well as a local and out of town feeding clinic.

They helped immensely with our son's feeding issues. Our problem was different than your's, so it will be harder for me to help. My son has prolonged tube feeds due to medical issues he was born with.

We also (it was recommended to us by our Early Intervention Therapist) ordered and started a therapy called Food Chaining. There is a book by the same name. It was invaluable to us. I can't believe it only cost around $20.00.

Start with your Pediatrician. They can get you the referals and point you in the right direction.

Please let me know if I can help any more. For us, we needed to get our son used to textures of ANY kind in his mouth and he requires and exhorbant amount of calories to maintain and slowly gain. He's 6 and he weighs just shy of 43 LBS. But he's healthy.

I'm not sure if I can post the link to the GERD site, but here goes:

www.parent-2-parent.com
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have an overweight 8 year old.
    I need some help with food idea.
    He was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder which entails very strong textural aversion.

So, with that...
    He only eats DRY CRUNCHY foods.

I've tried the deceptively delicious cook books... but he doesn't eat any of the recipes.

It also doesn't help that all my inlaws and husband are morbidly obese and say that he's still to thin and sneak him soda, chips and DON'T try to help me.

I've tried bribing him.
    I've tried paying him.
    I've tried charts.
    I've tried having the DR talk to him about at least trying fruits and veggies.
    I've tried only cooking one meal and if he doesn't eat it then go to bed hungry.

He plays basketball in the winter...
    And he is one of the fastest kids on the team.

I've tried some of the playstation move games...

He knows he's overweight.
    I think the gym teacher was giving the bigger kids a hard time.

I don't want to start an eating disorder or anything... But he knows he's not allowed soda and it never fails everyday when I get home from work he tries to hide his pepsi and says well nanny let me have it.

What would be some creative ways to try and get some more nutrition in there?
    All he eats is sugar and starches...

IMO see a registered dietician and/ or some sort of behavioural therapist, dry foods are always going to be higher in calories than more nutritious foods and I don't see how you could possibly get a balanced diet from only dry crunchy foods. Why is he seeing his grandmother on a daily basis if she is involved in abusive behaviour? He's not going to get hungry enough to eat real food if he is getting calories from soda and the bubbles filling him up, not a criticism of you just a statement of fact.

Nuts and seeds are good sources of protein, minerals and fibre. You can also put beans in the oven to make a crunchy snack, Asian grocers have fried curried lentils (mung daal) and fried green peas as a snack - more minerals, fibre and a little protein. We also have 'Bombay mix' some of which are more nutritious than others, it contains a mix of the aforementioned lentils peas, peanuts, sticks made from gram (chickpea) flour, one brand has watermelon seeds. Beans and lentils are obviously still carbs but they are more nutritious and gentler on the blood sugar than potatoes.
    http://www.nuts.com/snacks/fruit-veggie-chips/

If he will drink soda will he drink milk, flavoured milk, drinking yoghurt, vegetable juices or blended soups?