C25K and what else??

Options
Hi, everyone.

I want to start the C25K program but also want to start some strength training as well. Does anyone think doing C25K and 30DS at the same time be too much? Another program besides 30DS? Just looking for some ideas for strengh training while doing C25K. Thank you for any input.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The strength training regimen that's right for you depends largely on your goals.

You're doing C25K - do your plans include running longer distances in the future? If so, here are some cross training ides with running in mind......

http://www.runnersworld.com/training/workouts
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the C25K. IT got me started in running, and when I was off due to injury (not running related), it got me back into running again.

Another thing to consider is the strength training equivalents of C25K. When starting strength training I have heard it is good to target your core. So there are the 100 pushups and 200 situps programs. These are like C25K, but for strength training. They slowly build you up over a period of 6 weeks (I think its six weeks) - and both situps and pushups are good core exercises. Plus you dont need a gym and hectic equipment to do it.

I dont know the 30DS well at all, so I cant comment on that.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your protein levels and you should be fine
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What do you have available to you? If you have your own weights at home, there are tons of resources on youtube to find strength programs. If you have never done strength training, I suggest you go to a gym and do a couple sessions with a personal trainer who can teach you.You will hear a lot on here about the New Rules of Lifting for Women that may be something to look into.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K and P90X side by side and seem to be doing okay with it right now. I have my C25K day scheduled on my cardio day with P90 and the strength videos on my non-running days. I dont' know anything about the 30DS program though.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I do C25K and then just rotate different circuit training DVD's that I have for the days that I am not running. I include 30DS in that rotation. I have completed the 30DS program before (doing it every day for 30 days straight) and it is hard on my knees. I wouldn't do the C25K and the 30DS program at the same time just because my knees cannot handle all off that impact! But, that's just me!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who has lost a lot of weight, finished c25k months ago and hasn't run in three weeks due to an injury from running too much. Strength train with free weights and do some kind of cardio besides running a couple of times per week such as stationary bike or swimming. It is very easy to hurt yourself if you are a runner who does not cross train properly. Easiest way is to join a gym. I think 30DS could be a good way to crosstrain if you can't join a gym. AsK yOuR dOcToR bEfOrE sTaRtInG aNy ExErCiSe Or DiEt PrOgRaM L O L R O F L M A O C O P T E R S K A T E S 11111111!!!!!!!oNeOnEoNe
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping up C25k (starting week 7 on Monday!) and Finished my first week of 30DS.

I'm *definitely* no expert, but it's been going well for me. And the first several weeks of C25k probably aren't enough exercise for a full workout. I'd say go for it but with the expressed knowledge that it will get really challenging as you progress in both programs.

My goal is 5 days/week 30DS & 3 C25k runs/week (only working out Mon-Fri). On thursday I had to skip 30DS because I was so exhausted after my 2.25 mi run.
  • needlework
    Options
    Thank you for all of you input. Someone asked me if I plan on running longer distances in the future. The answer for now is no. My main reason for me doing this is todo something for me!! I have put myself on the back burner long enough and thought this would be a good way for me to start something like the C25K and see where I go from there.

I also have tons of exercise DVDs to choose from and I also have a gym membership where I have met with a personal trainer a couple of times so I have some sort of idea of what to do. I plan on meeting with the personal trainer within the next 3 or 4 months.

My current plan is to do the C25K Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I have a treadmill at home so I will be doing the C25K at home instead of the gym,. I will be going to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to walk on the treadmill for extra cardio. I don't feel comfortable running to do do the C25K at the gym since I am a bigger person. I like going to the gym for motivation as well. I do have a routine for strength training that I got from my personal trainer but wanted to see what other people's ideas/suggestion were which is the reason I asked the question to begin with.

As you can tell I have some sort of plan in place but wanted to hear what others had to say.

Thanks again!
  • needlework
    Options
    bump
  • lisasnolin
    Options
    Les Mills Body Pump. All over strength training in each track. Good luck!!
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since you've already got enough cardio on your plate with C25K, try some real strength training and get thee to a gym or get a bench and barbell/dumbells for home. I built myself a home gym for less than $200 and did New Rules of Lifting for Women, while running on occasion. It's a nice balance.
  • needlework
    Options
    Thank you for the tips that people shared. Anybody else have anything to add??
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I like ChaLean Extreme for strength training. It's a 90 program. I just use my running in place of the program's cardio segments. Although I will occasionally use the Burn Intervals workout as well. I find it quite benficial.