Prolapses from squatting with weights

Options
I have heard a very scary story that it is possible for men to have anal prolapse for and vaginal prolapse for women when squatting with weights. Is this true because it's gotten me really scared to even try this :(

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If that happens, I would guess there s some preexisting vulnerability in those people, and/or they re doing something crazy in their training. I doubt very much a person without issues, doing a normal routine with normal progression, would have this happen to them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I keep trying, but haven't managed to do it yet.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true, i seen pics of it. :-O

Maybe they're fake, but pics do exist.

ages ago there was a video of some guy squatting a hellacious barbell and it happened to him.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh god it just makes me cringe so much! I've just been so put off after hearing about it, I hope it won't happen to me XD
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    In a word NO. It's just another excuse lazy people use to not go to the gym.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options

LMFAO
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    do some kegals. you'll be fine.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    That's hot! :love:
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I managed a fart once!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Oh god it just makes me cringe so much! I've just been so put off after hearing about it, I hope it won't happen to me XD

I think it's just temporary, it pops out and gets sucked back in or something... this is not the best subject. Not sure though.

Yes it is true it does happen and NO it does not just go back up. There are surgical procedures to reattach and secure the prolapsed organs. I've coded them for hospital inpatient procedures.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

ages ago there was a video of some guy squatting a hellacious barbell and it happened to him.

I keep a stapler in my gym bag just incase.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'd do it squatting with normal amounts of weight, realistically. I was squatting I around 120 lbs on a deadlift bar, and had no concerns.

But I'm sure it could happen, just based on the advisories to avoid squatting with heavy weights during pregnancy due to the downward pelvic pressure it creates. So if you're concerned about it, talk to your doctor, and don't try to lift like an olympian.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

I keep a stapler in my gym bag just incase.

oh, good. it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • myers0machine
    Options
    Yer sounds like could be true few power lifters get all sort of problems but look at weight they are lifting and weight you are lifting wouldn't worry about it problems you should be worrying about is knees popping out back pain etc just train hard and safe like for me my dead lifts have anyways been good and then few years ago I felt a pain and every time I lifted I felt it so I just stopped dead lifts and pain has never come back so just listen to your body don't worry what others are doing everybody is different

But really wouldn't worry about prolapsed haha need to be lifting some heavy heavy *kitten* weight before that **** haha
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You probably won't have to come anywhere near worrying about it until you've got over 400 pounds across your shoulders and are going for a PR (personal record) lift. If it was an everyday occurrence in the gym, squatting would have been outlawed by now - and that's only happened so far at Planet Fitness (LOL).
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    I think you would have to be lifting an insane amount of weight (or pre-existing condition) to worry about that. I do squats regularly and have never really worried about it.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    Unless you're planning on racking 200KG+ I think you're good to go. It's hypothetically possible due to intestinal pressure but within the weight range for a girl.. Highly unlikely.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Anal prolapse can occur even if you don't lift, and is associated with "abnormally low descent of the peritoneum covering the anterior rectal wall, poor posterior rectal fixation, resulting in loss of posterior fixation of the rectum to the sacral curve, loss of the normal horizontal position of the rectum with lengthening (redundant rectosigmoid)and downward displacement of the sigmoid and rectum, long rectal mesentery, a deep cul-de-sac, levator diastasis, a patulous, weak anal sphincter.

Some authors question whether these abnormalities are the cause, or secondary to the prolapse. Other predisposing factors/associated conditions include: pregnancy (although 35% of women who develop rectal prolapse are nulliparous (have never given birth), previous surgery(30-50% of females with the condition underwent previous gynecological surgery), pelvic neuropathies and neurological disease, high gastrointestinal helminth loads (e.g. Whipworm), COPD, and cystic fibrosis"

It is actually most common in elderly women with multiple births. In short, don't let it stop you from lifting, don't have 20 kids, and do your pelvic diaphragm exercises. Also if you DO have any issues, ease back in to lifting, ex. if you gave birth a month ago and had an episiotomy don't try for a PR!
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You're at higher risk from it happening during childbirth.

If you're recovering from the recent birth of a child, or have had children very close together, I would check with your doctor first.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...if you gave birth a month ago and had an episiotomy don't try for a PR!
    I'm not even a woman and that thought made me hurt!