Zumba

Options
My library offers zumba free twice a week. I haven't ever done it before. I'm assuming I need to wear my workout clothes and shoes. Is there anything I need to know before I show up? Any tips?

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Its a great workout, little hard for me to follow the first 5 times, Lol.. I was very sore as well, a lot of different movements on muscles I never knew I had. Good sneakers are a plus... have a great workout, I'm sure you will have fun in the process!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Make sure you bring water and most important rule is keep moving and have fun.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you get lost just do whatever you want until you get caught up. You'll get it in no time. If you've got a buddy who might like it it's a lot of fun with a friend. Above all, have fun!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Have fun, smile, and shake your butt!

Don't hide at the back of the class. It is hard to see the instructor!
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I do it twice a week at my gym. You don't need anything special to wear. Regular gym attire is fine. Don't get discouraged if you can't follow the moves -- it takes at least a month to catch on! Just have fun and you'll get a good workout. Bring a bottle of water - you'll need it! And a towel if you're a sweater. :tongue:
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Went with my wife at our new gym. Loved it. I have spent a lot of time in South America and learned many of the dances in clubs there, but much different in a fitness setting. Good burn, and lots of fun! I was a bit unsure at first, especially since I was the only dude in a room full of women, but that turned out to be pretty cool too. Instructor can't embarrass you if you're keeping up with her! :) Seriously though, it is a low-pressure (because just about everyone spends a third of the first few classes tripping over their own feet!), and an absolute blast.
  • healthyme_2013
    Options
    I am trying Zumba with the Wii - make sure you have water and you are prepared to sweat lol ..and of course be ready to have some fun too..I laugh a lot at myself as I go along - there really should be a warning label - 'coordination required' or in my case even a little bit might be helpful

enjoy!
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    Options
    like the others bring water, maybe a towel to wipe your sweat from time to time.. and be ready for a fun and serious cardio!!
  • Suttonraine
    Suttonraine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Wear lite shoes. I buy Sketchers Dance from Sears or just google Crossfit shoes. If your shoes are too heavy then you will feelmit in a bad way. Also, please wear a head band because sweat will be pouring down your face. Water and a towel are a must. I wear a stepper and stomach wrap sometimes just for extra support. As Pepper2185 said, "Get to the front of the class so you can see the moves properly."

Have Fun!!
  • Valarie73
    Valarie73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bring water, wear comfy workout clothes, and dont' worry if you get lost a few times, and please don't let that stop you from going again and again. You WILL get it after a few times, you'll start to see the familiar moves used in different songs, and most of all, it is so much fun!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun! And it is easy to get lost in the steps and end up just groving to the music. As long as you are still moving you are doing it right.

Bring water and a towel....and energy. You will need them!
  • melissaminkoff
    Options
    ive always wanted to try that i joined the local rec center but havent been much the flu hit me a few days after i joined and ive felt miserable!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started going and I LOVE it. soooo much fun!

Bring water! I like to do it with no shoes on, but that might just be me.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    it's the only form of exercise I truly enjoy ( I go 4 days a week!)' like others have said...water is a must, and so is an open mind...you will not get it the first class- some of the steps I still have trouble with...just keep moving...that's the only real rule! lol...enjoy!
  • Neveone
    Options
    All the above (water, towel, fun) , but also sneakers, with which you can easily rotate. There is nothing worse than trying to turn/rotate but your shoe decides to stick to the ground. I usually wear my dance sneakers from Bloch, but that is just a personal preference.

Oh and yes: Don't take it too serious! Have fun, and even if you don't get the combo of one song, just continue moving, that's what it is all about. Shaking your hips and feeling good! :)
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Definitely work out gear and good shoes! Bring water and shake your thing! I love Zumba! I always seem to go the wrong way, and bounce of the other girls, but it's all good fun!!! Enjoy!