Starting again on the same Journey

Options
I made a decision that I have to lose 100 lbs for my health and this site was recommended. I have been at it for 2 wks. Doing okay with calories, but some days are struggles. Looking for any support and motivational secrets/tips that anyone can offer. It is going to be a long road and my previous attempts have obviously not been successful. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    Here in the same boat...but we can support each other! I'll send a friend request.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No secrets hon .. just diligence, patience with yourself and forgiveness! You MUST forgive yourself when you have a bad day or you feel you messed up. You're not messing up .. you're making a life change .. and YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL .. no matter what anyone says!

I'll be your cheerleader and supporter if you need .. just send me a Friend request ;-)

It's NOT a race .. baby steps .. one day, one meal .. one hour at a time .. and it's never a failure.. just a little hiccup :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My advice is to put reminder notes around your house where you'll see them. I have a bright orange post-it on the side of my TV that says "Exercise" to remind me that I shouldn't sit around watching TV all day, it's hard to miss and it reminds me to get moving. Even just going for a 15 minute walk everyday is a few hundred steps in the right direction. Or putting on an exercise DVD is good too.

I also take pictures of the healthy meals I make with lots of veggies and put the pics where I can see them so instead of looking at TV ads of fatty fast food, I have my own healthy advertising to make me go for better choices.

Every time you go food shopping, cut down on one thing you know is bad for your health (for example, soda) until you get to a point where you can completely cut it out.

Just take baby steps by setting small goals and always keep a positive attitude. The more you tell yourself you'll do well, and the more you accept small achievements as being big achievements, the more likely your small achievements will eventually add up to a big one and you'll be encouraging yourself to keep doing what is needed.

You can't lose 100 lbs overnight, but think thin, look in that mirror every day, give yourself a smile because you're worth it, and tell yourself, "I can do this!" and you will.

:)
  • Ghiizhar
    Ghiizhar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Slow and steady wins the race!" You seem to have lost 6 lbs in just 2 weeks. I have lost 6 in 2 weeks too, but I expect that to slow down based on my previous experience. It seems that it is easy to lose faster initially.

Don't be too concerned when/if your loss drops to a pound a week. That's really where you want to be - you want to change your lifestyle, not win a diet race. Losing a pound a week allows your body to more naturally adjust to your new lifestyle.

My goal is also to lose 100. Started at 280 in early 2011, following the CalorieKing (CK) system which is very close to MFP. Made it down to 220 last year, averaging about a pound a week weight loss. Then gained about 20 back the last few months of 2012. I decided to get get back on track a couple of weeks ago and joined MFP. (I liked CK, but its $85/year, and MFP is so similar and FREE).

I am 65, my wife is 60. She's lost about 100 pounds over the past 2 years. I mention this just to let you know, we "oldsters" can still be sucessful with this weight loss thing. Beside counting calories in - calories out, we both use our eliptical machine 10 - 15 minutes a day. It really seems to help if you can do a little bit of exercising.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome we are all in the same position here and I have found this site very helpful, anyone can add me the more support we can get the better
  • whitneyberra1987
    whitneyberra1987 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This site has changed my life... you can add me if you like and any one else...
  • lthurn2005
    Options
    I am Leslie, Wife to a wonderful man and mommy to two beautiful babies :)
    Anyways i myself have always been on the heavyside, Its just not easy in my family to stay slim seems like we are all always up and down. After i had my boy i got to 288 went to the dr got pills and got back down to 220 remained that wt mostly then after bout 2 yrs i gained a lil back as well as baby #2! (another 50 lbs) Anyways at my highest today i struggle and decided to take action about a wk before new yrs. 3 weeks in now and i am slowly but surely loosing! Sure hope i can maintain this and get back lower!!! Add me if you like!!
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • bigbunn8
    Options
    7 lbs in 2 weeks, congrats. Keep up the good work. It can be a struggle, but don't give up. I too am starting the same journey again, I find this site very helpful. My weight is not my primary goal, I am trying to change my habits. So far I have done pretty good I have signed up for a 13k, so I have run 2x a week, and I have lifted wieghts 4x week. My diet still leaves much to be desired, but I will not give up. Every day is a chance to improve. I also find Pinterest helpful, I pin workouts, healthy recipes, motivational pictures and sayings.