Authentic Japanese Foods (pics)

Options
Dahllywood
Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
Hey all! Just got back from Japan and I ate a lot of delicious (and new) foods. I took pictures of many of my meals, so please feel free to check them out!

http://dahllywood.imgur.com/

Also feel free to check out my Thailand foods from the previous two weeks. So many good foods!
Enjoy

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Such beautiful food! I love the Japanese attention to the appearance as well as the taste of the meal.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Jealous ;-;. Takoyaki looks oishi~~
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That looks so good. I've always wanted to travel there, I'm living vicariously through your food pictures now haha.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    Haha I love looking at other peoples' food pics so I felt like I needed to share :)
  • lisaiadams
    Options
    Oh that looks delicious! Japanese food is always so beautiful
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    bump
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    oh man i am so jealous and completely craving sushi now! thanks alot! how was that natto?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The first time I heard of natto, it was from a Japanese-American colleague who was excited to see it on the menu at a restaurant we were at during a business trip. He said it was comfort food for him since he grew up on it, but that most people found it totally disgusting since it has a very strong ammonia smell and taste. I wasn't looking forward to even having it on the same table where I was eating, so I was relieved that the restaurant was out of it!

Since then, I've only seen pictures, but it even looks too slimy for words. I guess Boston baked beans also look bad in close-up, but still . . . .

natto_mixed.jpg

I admire your adventurous spirit, Dahllywood! Durian in Thailand and natto in Japan.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    oh man i am so jealous and completely craving sushi now! thanks alot! how was that natto?

It wasn't terrible, but I am definitely okay with not having it again for awhile haha. An acquired taste no doubt. The texture and smell were a huge turnoff too.
    The first time I heard of natto, it was from a Japanese-American colleague who was excited to see it on the menu at a restaurant we were at during a business trip. He said it was comfort food for him since he grew up on it, but that most people found it totally disgusting since it has a very strong ammonia smell and taste. I wasn't looking forward to even having it on the same table where I was eating, so I was relieved that the restaurant was out of it!

Since then, I've only seen pictures, but it even looks too slimy for words. I guess Boston baked beans also look bad in close-up, but still . . . .

I admire your adventurous spirit, Dahllywood! Durian in Thailand and natto in Japan.

The natto that I had wasn't THAT slimy, and it didn't have that white hue to it. It looked more like baked beans, but like i mentioned earlier the texture was a huge turnoff for me and the smell didn't help. The taste itself wasn't terrible. Still, I'm glad I tried it.
    With durian, the smell hits you right away. Most people probably wouldn't even try it after smelling it. I thought it was okay, but I would put other fruits up higher on the list :). I forgot to take pictures of durian, sorry!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Everything looks amazing! Can't wait to go to Japan! :D
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So jealous! I lived in Okinawa for almost seven years and I miss the food a lot. Well I miss everything about it! Some of the best places I ate, I had no idea what I ordered!
  • recklessenigma
    Options
    Makes me miss Japan; lucky you! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip; thank you for sharing these. :happy:
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I really like Natto. Tastes like a salty miso to me. It's great if you make a spicy miso soup and stir some natto into it. :heart:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The natto pic made me realllllllly hungry! I love natto more than chocolate, but my (Japanese) dh hates it so we don't have it in the house. I want some now!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Takoyaki... yum! Going back to Japan for a little this summer, and one of the favorite aspects IS the food, haha. Their variety of veggies is amazing and I could eat millions of sekihan riceballs and matcha-anything. Yum!