Walking 1.5 Miles...When Will It Get Easier?!

Options
fara180
fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
I started walking today. I'm NOT an exerciser and I'm seriously out of shape. I briskly walked 1.5 miles around the neighborhood and it was really, really difficult. Changes in incline killed me and every hill was mini-torture. If I walk the same route every other day, how long until it becomes easy/easier?

Replies

• sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd give it at least two weeks (6 days) It will be little things at first. Maybe not breathing quite so hard, or maybe your legs won't be so sore. Stick with it. If you can use music or a workout buddy to distract you and make it more fun. Be committed don't skip one of your workout days. You'd be amazed how fast your body will slip back into old habits!
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    It will get easier. Just walk one day and take a day break and then push yourself to go a little more the next day, but one thing that everyone will say.. Continue to stay consistent!

I am 28, 5'9" and I can walk 7 miles without issues. Give me a 20 min break and I can do another 7 miles without stopping.

I will tell you that my body is designed for distance, but if it was for speed. That is another story.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :-) Here's the secret. It never gets easier. It's not supposed to.

It was really tough for me at first too. I was 100 pounds obese and a couch potato. 1 mile was 20 minutes of heart-pounding hell.

I ran my first marathon last May. :-)

Stay on it. You'll get there and it's totally worth it.
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If it's just walking I can do that for hours when I go shopping, but no stopping for frappe or cakes or any other food except water though. Try it
  • whitneyberra1987
    whitneyberra1987 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started by doing a vid at home for the first month and that made it so much easier now i can walk 5miles no problem, i say to try that and see how that works
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the whole exercise thing too. The first part will be getting into a routine and starting to make it part of your life. Some say it will take about 2-4 weeks getting into a routine. I've been going to the gym since mid December 2012. I have only been able to go maybe 2-3 times a week. I do the elliptical and sometimes weights. Oh boy was I in pain when I first started and I was so tired. It goes get easier though, and quicker than you'd think. Eat the right foods too though to give yourself the energy you need. About a month now for me and my body actually craves the workouts. Good luck with your quest and feel free to add me if you need any friends.
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    I started walking over a year ago. The first couple of week's left me hurting and out of breath especially at the top of the hill, but I kept pushing myself everyday and adding extra steps each time. If I can do it anyone can! Good luck to you.It will get easier soon and totally worth the effort...
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It will take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust and get some of the soreness out of it. After that the curve is pretty fast, and as long as you stay motivated, goal oriented and track your results (to me this is a must) so you can make sure you are pushing yourself, you will be amazed at hell well you will progress and how much easier it will be. good luck!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wear good shoes, so your knees/feet don't hurt. Then get a good rhythm, maybe bring your ipod or a friend and keep walking. In about two weeks, you will feel like walking more.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles every morning .. and half of that are rather very steep inclines in my neighborhood .. I took it slow (and not as far) at first.. just around 1.4-1.5 miles .. within a week or 2 I increased my distance and was up to 5 miles in no time.

Drink lots of water.. be sure to get a good night's rest. Each day gets easier and better. Make sure you have rest days .. one or 2 days (weekends work for me) .. I walk briskly .. about 3.5 to 4 mph.

I feel great and listen to music as I stroll along .. :-) It does get better.. I was sore for the first few weeks .. but not anymore. Keep at it .. you CAN do it .. it really does get easier ;-) :flowerforyou:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
  • reese66
    Options
  • reese66
    Options
    "Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can."
    Lowell Thomas

I am not sure there is time line that fits everyone.
    It get's easier, but the thing is the easier it gets the harder you want it to be. If that makes any sense.
  • reese66
    Options
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    :-) Here's the secret. It never gets easier. It's not supposed to.

I totally do not agree with this - it DOES get easier - and sooner than you think - just keep on doing it, and slowly it will be easier to walk a little bit further - or a little bit faster....

I could not walk a mile when I started - now 4 miles is a little "warm up" - it does not even get my heart rate up....
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    For me jogging got easier after about 5 or 6 jogs, but it never got "easy". I also noticed if I hadent drank a lot of water duing the day I was way worse than if i was really hydrated.
  • KJFairywings
    KJFairywings Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try the Walk away the Pounds videos by Leslie Sansone. They are pretty inexpensive and you can find them at Target stores. The first video usually has the 1 mile and the 2 mile walk on it and then she has other videos such as Walk and Kick that help you build up your stamina even more. I do the one mile walk in the comfort of my own home. It takes 18 minutes from start to finish and it has helped to build up my stamina when I walk around the neighborhood on my 3 mile walks.
  • backtoherroots
    backtoherroots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soon. Soon you'll look back and think "Wow, I've come so far!" I remember thinking I was going to die when I did a 1/2 mile loop around work at lunch the first few times. But then, slowly, it became easier.

And last summer, I walked 39.6 miles in two days for charity and the summer before, I ran a half marathon! It's gradual but you'll get there, I promise.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    "Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can."
    Lowell Thomas

I am not sure there is time line that fits everyone.
    It get's easier, but the thing is the easier it gets the harder you want it to be. If that makes any sense.

This is so true. I don't walk out of doors much in the winter time but in the summer, it becomes almost a meditation. I love the days I don't have to track time because of other commitments. I could be out walking half the day if I had time.
  • tutti777
    Options
    I love to walk....I have limitations now so I have to limit how long and how fast. Back about 14 years ago, I started out at 3 miles a day and slowly built up to 7-8 miles a day, broken into two parts of AM and PM. I was in the best shape and it really toned me. Sometimes I would do a slow jog the last mile. I would not advise you to do that much walking but with time, it will become very easy to you. The nice thing about walking is it is free...all you need is a really good pair of walking shoes. Good luck...you can do this!