Logging bananas: By length or weight?

Options
I'm not sure the best way to log them. Should I log by weight (without peel) or length?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Weight is more accurate, calories and nutrients are by weight not size.
  • JO4IT
    JO4IT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Size doesn't matter! (ha ha, sorry had to say it!)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I thought girth was more important?
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Totally set myself up for these jokes hahaha
  • ZL9685
    ZL9685 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3rt7kiLKt1ro842p.gif
    "Bananas"

Sorry, it had to be done....
    But otherwise, I'd say whichever is easier really, I tend to go by length or amount of fruit because rulers are generally easier to find in workplaces than a scale :)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Weight is always best for any food. It is he most accurate way to measure. I have a long list of food that I eat often and I have the gram weights listed for all of them, You can figure the calories for ant size with just a little math. If you write down a few of the most comon weights of any particular food, it makes it much easier in the future. It may mean a whole lot of writing it down at first, but within a month or so, you will see that you rarely have to write anything in the list, and will only need to refer to the list to get what you need to log in your diary. Hope this helps.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    tumblr_m3rt7kiLKt1ro842p.gif
    "Bananas"

Sorry, it had to be done....
    But otherwise, I'd say whichever is easier really, I tend to go by length or amount of fruit because rulers are generally easier to find in workplaces than a scale :)

hahahaha his face
  • sammichPG
    Options
    >Not sure if posting in a troll thread.

I weigh my bananas.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! This means I've been logging them inaccurately this whole time and logged them as more calories than they actually are. Wow.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    >Not sure if posting in a troll thread.

I weigh my bananas.

I'm not trolling......It's a serious question. lol
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do wonder though. I bought a scale because I've been horribly inaccurate. Are these foods in grams in the diaries including non-edible portions?

like the peel of an orange or a banana? or the seed/skin of an avocado? Like is this the weight of the whole fruit? Or just the section I'm eating...
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! This means I've been logging them inaccurately this whole time and logged them as more calories than they actually are. Wow.
    If you're going to make a mistake in logging, that's the one to have, the one where there's no harm done
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    If you're going to make a mistake in logging, that's the one to have, the one where there's no harm done

you can call me stupid for asking this but....what do you mean? lol
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

jokes? sheesh!
    weight - minus peel. (unless you really are THAT hungry)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Here is how I figured bananas, 100g of bananas is 89 calories, (acording to this http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2) if you have a larger or smaller banana you would multiply the gram weight by .89 and you should get the calories. A 28g banana should be about 25 calories. the .89 comes from dividing the calories (89) by 100 (the gram weight).
  • alexbusnello
    Options

jokes? sheesh!

LOL sorry, sorry :tongue:

And thank you
  • hughtwalker
    Options

jokes? sheesh!

And thank you
    It's not YOU that should apologise - however, the kids will play, huh?

I hope the (sensible) answers help - and do ignore the banner that comes up telling you that bananas are among the 5 foods you should never eat - the link leads to the most boring video ever seen. It is just one of the adds that pays for MFP since we don't.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

jokes? sheesh!

And thank you
    It's not YOU that should apologise - however, the kids will play, huh?

I hope the (sensible) answers help - and do ignore the banner that comes up telling you that bananas are among the 5 foods you should never eat - the link leads to the most boring video ever seen. It is just one of the adds that pays for MFP since we don't.

That's just bananas. I love eating them and will continue to do so as I please. i'm tired of the discussions around how bad they are for you. It makes me laugh.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    They are incredibly good for you - wouldn't want to live on them, of course - or would you?

You are very wise to treat the "You don't want to do it like that"- Calorie vigilantes with the pinch of salt they say is so bad for us these days (but makes most things taste so good!).
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    They are incredibly good for you - wouldn't want to live on them, of course - or would you?

You are very wise to treat the "You don't want to do it like that"- Calorie vigilantes with the pinch of salt they say is so bad for us these days (but makes most things taste so good!).

lol I could eat them a lot, but bad idea.

And I could never give them up. No way.