Push up help

Options

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump! I struggle as well. Planks aren't a problem, but I can't do one full push-up! Yet......:smile: Thanks for the tips!
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Someone might have mentioned this (I didn't read through every post) but you can also try eccentric pushups. Start in the up position and get your form right, then slowly lower yourself as slowly as you can towards the floor while staying in good form.

If you collapse... no prob. Take a breather for a halfstep then get up and do it again. I went from 0 pushups (regular or girlie) to 30 on-the-knees pushups to almost 10 regular.... almost.. gonna get that last one soon!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    IMO, the only way to get strong enough to do "real" push-ups is to start doing them.
    You may only be able to do one when you start, but slowly you'll work your way up.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I have tried many times in my history of exercise to do real push ups. NOT the little girly ones, but regular push ups. Who has started from being able to do none to being able to do many? I don't have access to a gym, but I do have dumbells at home. Are there any other exercises that can help strenghten the muscles used doing pushups that help get me there?

And just settling for the girly ones or just one or two regular ones is not an option. I am going for bigger and better here. This is a goal I have set.

I couldn't do one proper push up before I joined this site in 2011. I started doing the 30 Day Shred and finally that got me into managing to do them, good old Jillian!

I always thought it was because I had weak arms, but that's not what it's down to, you need a strong core.

i can now do 300 push ups in one day. So keep trying you WILL get there.
  • nikkiellie01
    nikkiellie01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bumping :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - the female body is not necessarily made to do pushups. Although many women can - there are far more that cannot. A better exercise by far is a plank. Many will not agree, and this will probably start an argument with all those negative nellies on here, but I have been told by more than one physical therapist and trainers. It has to do with the size of the muscles in our backs, shoulders and chest. Can women do them, YES, are there better exercises to get the same or better results, YES.
    Good luck if this is your goal - I do the girl pushups and do other exercises instead.

What rubbish, so we don't have arms and cores which is what anyone needs to do a push up.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - the female body is not necessarily made to do pushups. Although many women can - there are far more that cannot. A better exercise by far is a plank. Many will not agree, and this will probably start an argument with all those negative nellies on here, but I have been told by more than one physical therapist and trainers. It has to do with the size of the muscles in our backs, shoulders and chest. Can women do them, YES, are there better exercises to get the same or better results, YES.
    Good luck if this is your goal - I do the girl pushups and do other exercises instead.

What rubbish, so we don't have arms and cores which is what anyone needs to do a push up.

You need pecs too, but I think most women have those covered
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    IMO, the only way to get strong enough to do "real" push-ups is to start doing them.
    You may only be able to do one when you start, but slowly you'll work your way up.

I agree with this. I decided I wanted to do pushups and could only do 3 girlies. I worked up to 3 sets of 15 (or 15/15/then usually 12) but was so frustrated each time I tried a regular one and couldn't go more than a couple of inches down and up. After doing some reading online, I settled on doing the 100 pushup challenge approach. Since I couldn't do even one full regular, I started with day 1 (2/3/2/2/3+) going as far as I could, again at the beginning it was only a couple of inches. After about a month, I am finally able to do full pushups and ready to move onto day 2! I must add - I am a 51 year old woman with 40 more pounds to lose who previously only walked and did light yoga for exercise.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Another question then. Is it better to do it daily, or every other day, just a few days a week? Based on your experience, which would be best for starting out.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to do no push ups. Now I can do about 18 with my feet on a chair and my hands on the floor :)

Stick at it, and look for ways to make slow progressions. Also do lots of planks. A lot of people can't do full push ups well because of being unable to hold the position more than because of arm strength.

Regards you last question - it's better to do strength training regularly, but not every day, because your muscles grow and repair themselves when you rest.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just do it. You could start with the girly ones, but I think it'd be better to just start with a regular push up and get as much done as you can. If you get down and can't push yourself back up, well you got half way! Keep trying until you've done one, and in no time you'll be able to do 10 and so on!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Another question then. Is it better to do it daily, or every other day, just a few days a week? Based on your experience, which would be best for starting out.

As part of a balanced routine that incorporates each of

quad dominant leg (squat variants)
    hamstring dominant leg (deadlift varians)
    horizontal push (bench\push ups)
    horizontal pull (rows)
    vertical push (overhead press\handstand push ups)
    vertical pull (pull ups)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I started doing as many as I could on my toes … usually 3 or 4, but I'd been doing other strength training before starting… then at failure (well, before I fall flat on my face - which I did a couple times and decided it was not for me), I drop to my knees and do as many as I can. I'm not a push up expert by any means, but I have improved over time.

Last Monday I counted and did 44 regular push ups and 30 on my knees. I did a number of variants (regular, wide, military, etc.) I cannot for the life of me do a pull up, though. Your determination to conquer push ups has motivated me to work on pull ups… as soon as I figure out WHERE I can do pull ups… :)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

As part of a balanced routine that incorporates each of

quad dominant leg (squat variants)
    hamstring dominant leg (deadlift varians)
    horizontal push (bench\push ups)
    horizontal pull (rows)
    vertical push (overhead press\handstand push ups)
    vertical pull (pull ups)

*like*
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

so, if someone has a different opinion, they are considered a negative nellie?

^^^ this.

and someone who says "women CAN..." is a negative nellie, but someone who says "most women CAN'T..." is not....?

however did the human race survive the palaeolithic era if most women are too weak to do a single push-up....?
  • FullOfWin
    Options

so, if someone has a different opinion, they are considered a negative nellie?

^^^ this.

and someone who says "women CAN..." is a negative nellie, but someone who says "most women CAN'T..." is not....?

however did the human race survive the palaeolithic era if most women are too weak to do a single push-up....?

women picked berries while men took care of them. DUH!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

If you were to say, "Women aren't meant to ejaculate sperm..." I'd totally agree. But women not being meant to do push ups, that's frelling ridiculous.

Way to ruin a dream. Jerk.

Push ups are great. Personally I seem to work better with a specific program than with random do it myself plans. The first time I used http://www.lovingfit.com/fitness/improve-your-push-ups/ I went from 3 full push ups to 14 on the last day (and many more knee push ups.)

Small semantics argument, but if you're a girl or woman doing push ups doesn't that automatically make them girly/womanly push ups?
  • aprileko71
    aprileko71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i dont think the ones on your knees are a good stepping stone...

what worked for me was doing them from a higher surface ( still in a straight plank position), and gradually moving down...

i started of the edge of my sleigh bed, then counter height, then the 3rd step, and now i am doing them from the first step!

its taken a while. but my upper body was very weak from back problems.

This is exactly what I did..starting from my dresser which was about chest height, then moving to the weight bench...I was able to move several regular pushups within about 5 weeks...that is working out 3x weekly with weights...
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am also terrible at push ups. The only thing that helped me was starting out by lying on the floor and pushing up from there, and then all the way back down. Eventually you work up to a regular push up, or when you feel like you cant do another real push up, switch back to starting on the floor.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I just did my first full push up! WOOT! Can't wait to do 2! THEN 3! And then 4!!.....