What are the pros and cons of having a cheat day for meals?

Options

Replies

• Tytanium24
    Options
    I usually don't have a cheat day.. I have a cheat meal, I recommend doing that.
    And no pizza, that stuff kills.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It depends on your individual preferences. If you had a bunch of people eat a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal, some would just eat it like any other cereal, and others (like me) would eat all the regular bits and leave the marshmallows for last, so you can finish off by eating a bunch of marshmallows. YUM!

If you're the type to save the marshmallows for last, you might prefer "cheat" days.

If you are doing it as part of your plan, you're still eating the same number of calories as you would have, just changing the distribution to match your preferences.

I don't eat that crap, but if I did I would also save the marshmallows... cheat days/meals never once. (outside of a vacation, and christmas/new years but by then my weight loss journey was basically over)
  • Tytanium24
    Options
    That's called mental control.
    You need to be able to tell yourself no.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    To say you're cheating implies you're doing something wrong. If I am craving something enough I will fit it into my calories for that day and maybe push myself a little extra at the gym.
  • Kgholli
    Kgholli Posts: 27
    Options
    Cheat days are called living life!!

Its not a matter of what your eating, its about eating in a way that you can sustain for life. To those people who say they don't cheat occasionally does this mean, that for the rest of your life you are going to avoid certain foods.

You need to be able to work out how to eat and enjoy life, while still losing weight.

I believe everything in life needs balance,
  • LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Having one cheat meal a week keeps me sane.
  • bigbunn8
    Options
    I thought I could have a cheat day, but I can eat so much it wipes out a week of good eating and exercise. Also my 1 day of fun became 2. I felt so crappy from my cheat day diet that I thought a pizza would make me feel better. Oh well, live and learn.
  • lvtruu1
    Options
    Cheat days are called living life!!

Its not a matter of what your eating, its about eating in a way that you can sustain for life. To those people who say they don't cheat occasionally does this mean, that for the rest of your life you are going to avoid certain foods.

You need to be able to work out how to eat and enjoy life, while still losing weight.

I believe everything in life needs balance,

I think you missed the point many made. It isn't a "cheat" meal if you make it fit your calories. Going over a few hundred calories isn't a big deal. Going over 1000-2000 calories and calling it a "cheat" meal is just dumb. Once you start reaching your goals you of course can loosen up somewhat. If you know you are going to blow it out Saturday night and go over 1000 calories just eat a few hundred calories less the days before hand.

The big issue, is what exactly is a "cheat" meal. I don't go out for burgers. So if I go out for a burger is that a "cheat" meal? Eating something that I wouldn't normally eat isn't cheating. I eat what ever I want. Yes most the time make the "smart" choice. On Chistmas I had 4 different pieces of pie. One after another. That was cheating. I think has to do with your mentality. How do you deal with it. It depends on you. Most of what people call "cheat" meals really aren't. It is the misconception of good vs. bad foods. There is almost no bad foods. You can eat anything and lose weight. It is all about the quantities you eat.
  • lvtruu1
    Options
    I thought I could have a cheat day, but I can eat so much it wipes out a week of good eating and exercise. Also my 1 day of fun became 2. I felt so crappy from my cheat day diet that I thought a pizza would make me feel better. Oh well, live and learn.

Yes, pizza night evolving into eating an entire pizza probably won't lead to weight loss :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A few:

Pros: Better adherence for some people. Potential to eat foods that may be off limits depending on your philosophy OR depending on your macros (an IIFYMer with really low TDEE/low CHO may not be able to eat certain foods and still hit their macros). Potential for short term increase in gym performance.

Cons: Worse adherence for some people (fall off the wagon). Additional calories.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i have two free meals a week. i work to stay within 500 calories of my daily goal and i don't starve myself the rest of the day - but i try to keep my calories low for the other meals and snacks of the day. i love love love going out to eat with friends and family. i love the melting pot, which is all fondue - cheese and chocolate, along with an entree. i do not mind my calories when i go to the melting pot. my family has a favorite steak restaurant. i used to easily eat 2500 calories JUST at one meal at that steak restaurant. now i make different, healthier choices - but i don't deprive myself of anything.

as far as other things i just love - french fries, grilled cheese, chocolate - i find ways to fit them in my diet without ruining my meal or day. historically, i've found that my two free meals a week may put me over my calorie goals for the day, but it evens out over the week. someone else mentioned 'you can't gain a pound in a day'. i agree with that. i think the daily goals are important to keep me on track, but allowing myself the free meals ensures i don't feel deprived - food wise or socially. i agree it's not for everyone though. it can trigger some people to overeat, fall off the wagon, and get down on themselves.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When cheat days started making me ill and giving me the squirts, I gave it up.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Pro: tastes good
    Con: I feel sluggish, lazy, and bloated afterwards. Not worth it to me
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The big issue, is what exactly is a "cheat" meal.
    It's not a food it's a mentality. Some people enjoy being mischievous and breaking the rules here and there, so it benefits them to think of it in that way. It's like skipping classes in high school or having a Ferris Beuller's Day Off.
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've never done cheat days. I just work whatever I want to have into my calorie goal. I've never really felt the need to "cheat" by doing it that way.

this is exactly how i do it. i know when i'm going to eat something heavy, so i'll compensate by having a smaller breakfast, or going to the gym. that way, i earn more calories to enjoy the things i'm craving. also, going over my caloric goal just makes my deficit smaller, and i hate feeling like i've cut into my hard work on a prior day because i lacked self-control one evening.
  • HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a weekend routine that includes lunch out with my daughter on Friday, and with my son on Saturday. The restaurants they choose often don't have great low-calorie choices, so I guess you could consider these as "cheat days". But I actually try to make the best/healthiest choices I can. So, on the weekend, I may have a meal that is higher than average, but I make up for it with lower calorie dinner and less snacks. Occasionally, I completely blow it (like with movie theater popcorn), but with the next meal, I just resume healthier choices.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Pro: Pig Out all day
    Con: You'll probably wipe out your entire calorie deficient for the week. Making the whole thing pointless.

My take.... Its far better to incorporate treats into your daily macros than the splurge everything on a day.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've never done cheat days. I just work whatever I want to have into my calorie goal. I've never really felt the need to "cheat" by doing it that way.

^^ This. If I know I'm going to want a cheeseburger for dinner, I work it off with exercise (or most of it) in the beginning of the day, and am really careful about breakfast and lunch. That way I get my cheeseburger without feeling guilty. I wouldn't think a cheat "day" is a good thing, but instead one cheat meal.
  • LiftingStrong
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like crap these days if I eat a sizable quantity of "junk" food or sweet crap. If I want a cheat by having something sweat and tasty I just down some cut up celery and peanut butter. It taste much better than a Twinkie imo.
  • masfe
    masfe Posts: 17
    Options
    Pro: you get to eat things that you normally wouldn't. It can also help with your metabolism.

Cons: After a while not eating junk food you start to ignore it. Cheat days can bring back those temptations