cheat day?

Options
I have been having one cheat day a week where I don't pay very close attention to my calorie intake, and I don't exercise that day either. Is this likely to put me behind on my weight loss goal too badly?

Replies

• Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've not been watching what I eat for long enough to help you hopefully other people will be able to though. I am interested in their response. I'm thinking of having a cheat day once a month as I enjoy baking with my girlfriend and don't want to cut that out completely. I'm assuming having a cheat day once a week would mean you would take 1/7th longer to reach your goals as long as it's not crazy over the top
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    when you say "cheat day" do you mean one whole cheat day or just one meal? In my opinion one whole cheat day would ruin your one week diet, normally I would have my cheat meal on the day I do cardio and if I eat too much, I would downsize the other 2 meal in that day or burn more calories from cardio
  • joshs7
    joshs7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only way a cheat day is going to affect your weight loss is if you completely lose control of yourself. In order to gain a pound, you need to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance caloric needs. For example, if your maintenance is 2,000 calories. You will gain a pound in this cheat day if you eat 5,500 calories.

But that aside, a lot of times, people experience a big jump in weight after a cheat day and they freak out. This is just an increase in your water and sodium retention. If you have a ton of sodium, then you can expect to "gain" lbs tomorrow. It doesn't effect your weight loss but just plays mind tricks on you. The water retention goes away after a few days and your right back on track.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what your reasons are for having a cheat day?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would still log it if you can IMO. Depends how out of control you get on your cheat day / meal. But I am definitely for scheduled cheat meals (where you know ahead of time what you're going to eat / want to eat). I'm not a fan of random chaotic splurges
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options
    Just wondering what your reasons are for having a cheat day?

We usually get together with friends on Saturday nights and have drinks and not so healthy food. It's a weekly tradition that I don't want to break just because I'm trying to eat healthier and working out.
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options
    when you say "cheat day" do you mean one whole cheat day or just one meal? In my opinion one whole cheat day would ruin your one week diet, normally I would have my cheat meal on the day I do cardio and if I eat too much, I would downsize the other 2 meal in that day or burn more calories from cardio

Yeah, my cheat days aren't the entire day, just one meal during the day. I could plan on doing a bit more cardio that day to burn the extra calories, that might help me to not feel so guilty about it :)
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I usually have one to two cheat meals per week. I don't go crazy and eat everything in sight or anything like that. But if I go out to eat I don't feel guilty about ordering a couple drinks or pasta or a burger. I think cheat meals (in moderation) are good. I know if I completely deprive myself, then I will just end up wanting it even more, binge, and then feel bad about it later. They haven't stopped me from losing 30 of the 40 pounds I want to lose so I say go for it!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days. If I have a craving (pizza, chocolate.....), I eat that food but make sure the portion fits my daily goal. If I want to splurge on food, I try to work out in advance to cover the extra calories I would be consuming. I've also found that working out in advance is a great motivator to not over do it as well.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. I have done 3 cheat meals in the last 6 months that I can remember. If you aren't taking a step forward, you are taking a step backwards. That's what I like to think anyway. If you ate at a perfect 1000 calories deficit (which is needed for your 2lbs a week goal most people set) for 6 days, you are 1 day away from your 2lb a week goal. 6000 deficit for the week. If you overeat one day by 2500 calories, you are now back to 1lb a week, and you suffered for 6 days. Back to 3500 deficit for the week. Cutting your weight loss in half may or may not be worth it to you. Not to mention the sodium in bad food which will hold water and you may only see the scale move every once in a while. You may get frustrated and quit all together. In the end, you know what's worth it and what isn't, we can only give our opinions.