Why do I do so good...then mess up knowing im doing it!?

Options
Hey All. Not sure if there are any others out there that are like me (im sure there are). But Why do i find myself doing so well at eating and working out, only to knowingly choose something terribly bad to consume. I know i dont need it and of course it tastes good but i just find that once a week I just can't say no. And I have a hard time only having a little.

Example. I work at a Red Lobster. HELLO YUMMY SEAFOOD! Well I have been there a long time and I am really good about bringing my own lunches because i don't want to waste money daily and of course there are healthy choices there but the really amazing stuff isn't. But about once a week I find myself craving something that I knowingly shouldn't eat, yet at the end of the day I do anyway. Today i ate sweet chili shrimp appetizer = 1,140 calories for the whole thing. I shared some of it but i mostly consumed the whole thing. Which is so silly for me cause that is almost my total daily allowance of calories.

Why do i do this to myself. Anyone have any ideas for how to not. I mean i can't remove myself from my job. I would love some tips to help me with this because i don't want to keep sabotaging myself!

Replies

• porkchopmolly
    Options
    I do the same thing! However, I do it more than one a week... I tend to binge on food without thinking about it. I am so impulsive with food, which is my downfall. I am a social worker and am in the community all day, which means I am driving around and going out for coffee with my clients, and McDonald's and other "bad for you" joints. I don't plan and prepare myself mentally for the temptation, so I fall victim to it and eat poorly. I also work right next to an ice cream shop with the best ice cream around. So when I have a bad visit or a weak moment, which happens often, I stop and pig out on peanut butter chocolate ice cream. This happens more than once a week most times.

The key is to plan and prepare yourself for the temptations. Before you go to work, remind yourself of your progress thus far, and remember your future you. On the days when you do not fall victim to your cravings, remember what tools you used to beat it. Example, if on Monday you wanted that yummy appetizer but you did not have it, think about why you decided to stay strong. What did you think of, how did you say no? You have the tools to succeed; that is evident in your progress thus far. You just have to remember to use those tools when most need them.

One tool I have been thinking I should try in fact, is leaving my cash at home or in the office. I am going to buy a gas card to a local gas station, and leave the rest of money at home. That way, I wont be able to give in because I wont have any money! If I need gas, I use the gas card. That might be hard for a server who gets money at work. I used to spend my tips on food at work when I was a server too. But make a plan for where your tips are going to before you start work. Bring a box and leave it in your car. Whenever you get a free second, take the money back to your car. It's not perfect, but at least the cash is out of your pockets. Or, bring envelopes and when you get a certain amount of money, seal it up and put it away.

Another tool is gum or brushing your teeth. My friend uses gum whenever she has a potentially risky situation when she needs to control some cravings. She pops some minty gum and then has the flavor of mint in her mouth. At night when I want to munch, if I am strong enough I brush my teeth. Food just doesn't taste the same when mint is involved.

But really... if you only have 1 day a week when you fall victim to your cravings, be proud of yourself! Moderation is key, and most people would say that binging on a high calorie meal once in a while did not make them overweight. Keep your spirits and thoughts positive! Thank yourself for what you have already done for yourself!
  • casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You are right. it is hard when i always have money in my pocket. But i am going to try to do 2 of the ideas that you offered. I am going to bring gum to work with me. I am also going to bring envelopes with goal amounts and seal it when i get there.

Have you thought about in your car putting in healthy snacks to get you by? Granola bars, nuts, etc.