Is this normal re: heart rate

Options
jkohan
jkohan Posts: 184 Member
So--I did 1.77 miles on the treadmill before a leg workout with my trainer last night. It was moderate with my heart rate in the low 140s. When I was doing squats with the bar behind me--my heart was POUNDING and my HR got into the 160s. This seems to be quite common with me. My HR goes MUCH higher during my conditioning workouts than my cardio on the treadmill (unless I run, which I can't yet). Is this normal?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I look forward to reading the answers. Squats are pretty intense (perhaps more intense than what you are doing on the treadmill). So in my opinon this is probably ok. Do you take long breaks between reps or exercises when doing your conditioning workouts? If not, that probably explains it and it is probably a good thing.
  • jkohan
    Options
    well, I should add that my quads especially are very very weak--and I know I am working HARD because my body is out of shape. And yes...my trainer has me doing lunges on an incline for 12 reps each leg where I would lunge, lift up the back leg--point toe--then back down into an lunge. This was followed by the squats for 16 reps, then side lunges 12 on each side (also on an incline) and back to squats...then we repeat the entire circuit. We do this in about 12-15 min. Then I won't even tell you what she had me do on the abductor machine......LOL
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I can't say if it's normal, as in healthy, but for me when I do a cardio challenging weight routine, such as using the step platform with weights or weighted walking lunges, my heart will pound.

So I'm curious too, because the same thing happens to me.
  • jkohan
    Options
    well, I should add that my quads especially are very very weak--and I know I am working HARD because my body is out of shape. And yes...my trainer has me doing lunges on an incline for 12 reps each leg where I would lunge, lift up the back leg--point toe--then back down into an lunge. This was followed by the squats for 16 reps, then side lunges 12 on each side (also on an incline) and back to squats...then we repeat the entire circuit. We do this in about 12-15 min. Then I won't even tell you what she had me do on the abductor machine......LOL

Oh, and I forgot 4 sets of 12 rep calf raises thrown in too. (4 different positions)
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my weak spot. Sometimes when I run, I have to tone it down and walk because my heart rate gets so high. HOWEVER, when I pump out the squats, my heart rate monitor hits the 'too high' mark when I have one or two squats left. When it doesn't do that anymore, I know it's time to either increase my reps or up my weights. The leg muscles are big, and doing a squat makes a lot of blood move. I have even left the gym after a lower body workout to look down and see that my legs were pretty red.
  • jkohan
    Options
    I can't say if it's normal, as in healthy, but for me when I do a cardio challenging weight routine, such as using the step platform with weights or weighted walking lunges, my heart will pound.

So I'm curious too, because the same thing happens to me.

I just read your bicycle post--I think lunges and squats will DEFINITELY build up your quads for the bike. I'm hoping by summer, mine will be conditioned enough to get through a decent bike ride too. I used to bike all the time and can't wait to climb onto my hybrid this summer!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I always read in Shape to do cardio for 5 minutes to warm-up before strength training...and normally I do strength training, then cardio...but last night I decided to try it. My heart rate got up pretty far from 5 sets of 1-minute jumping rope and then when I did my crunches, hip raises, mountain climbers, etc. my heart was just racing and this typically always happens when I do cardio to warm up first, so I would say it's normal.

My personal trainer told me yesterday not to let my heart rate get to a certain place - safe for me is about 135 - because if I go over my "safe place", I'd end up burning muscle instead of fat...so it looks like I'll have to get a HRM. Something to think about.
  • sandey30
    sandey30 Posts: 5
    Options
    Part of it has to do with your age. You didn't say how old you are but if you are in your 20s or 30s this is pretty normal for this type of workout. As long as you aren't feeling dizzy, lightheaded or like you are going to pass out it is ok. I assume that your trainer is also aware of your heart rate. If she is worth her money, she will also know what is ok and what is not.
  • jkohan
    Options
    I always read in Shape to do cardio for 5 minutes to warm-up before strength training...and normally I do strength training, then cardio...but last night I decided to try it. My heart rate got up pretty far from 5 sets of 1-minute jumping rope and then when I did my crunches, hip raises, mountain climbers, etc. my heart was just racing and this typically always happens when I do cardio to warm up first, so I would say it's normal.

My personal trainer told me yesterday not to let my heart rate get to a certain place - safe for me is about 135 - because if I go over my "safe place", I'd end up burning muscle instead of fat...so it looks like I'll have to get a HRM. Something to think about.

Good info--I've read that about HR too--but I thought that as long as your heart rate recovers pretty quickly upon slowing down/stopping it's ok, and short bursts of high HR are ok and won't burn muscle. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and confirm that. I did another mile on the treadmill after to walk off the burn--and my HR stayed up for a good 15 min...and then by the 20 min mark--it was much more moderate.
  • jkohan
    Options
    Part of it has to do with your age. You didn't say how old you are but if you are in your 20s or 30s this is pretty normal for this type of workout. As long as you aren't feeling dizzy, lightheaded or like you are going to pass out it is ok. I assume that your trainer is also aware of your heart rate. If she is worth her money, she will also know what is ok and what is not.

I'll be 39 in November. I did mention it to my trainer and she didn't seem too concerned. Hmmm.....
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you holding your breath while you are lifting? That can raise your heart rate very quickly and can be very dangerous. You may be doing it and not realizing it. Have your personal trainer watch you to see if you are breathing correctly.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    "Normal" doesn't so much exist when it comes to the human body. :laugh:

But I can tell you that my heart rate blasts up when I'm doing squats, too. I can do a *lot* of them in a row and my heart will be pounding & I'll be huffing & puffing (even with breathing in on the way down & out on the way up).

It doesn't get as high as it does when I run, though. I'd say typical HR for me doing squats is around 160. Running, it usually stays around 180-185 these days (which is actually a comfortable HR for me -- I guess I have a high max).
    Lately, my resting HR has been hovering around 56.
  • jkohan
    Options
    Are you holding your breath while you are lifting? That can raise your heart rate very quickly and can be very dangerous. You may be doing it and not realizing it. Have your personal trainer watch you to see if you are breathing correctly.

That's a good question--I try to be conscious of my breathing and my trainer does remind me to breath, but I do not remember if I was yesterday....I will be sure to be careful with that. thanks!
  • jkohan
    Options
    "Normal" doesn't so much exist when it comes to the human body. :laugh:

But I can tell you that my heart rate blasts up when I'm doing squats, too. I can do a *lot* of them in a row and my heart will be pounding & I'll be huffing & puffing (even with breathing in on the way down & out on the way up).

It doesn't get as high as it does when I run, though. I'd say typical HR for me doing squats is around 160. Running, it usually stays around 185 these days (which is actually a comfortable HR for me -- I guess I have a high max).
    Lately, my resting HR has been hovering around 56.

Wow--you are doing great-and you've had a great loss too! Looks like you started about the same place as me. Yeah--my resting HR is higher but I'm just starting my journey and I expect my resting and max HR to improve as I drop weight and continue cardio. Yeah--mine blasted up to 161 but my HRM says 155 should be my top. I am most comfortable in the 140s exercising spiking to 160-161 when attempting to run or do squats LOL.