Encouragement Needed

Options
I started my new healthy living plan on January 8th. I have over 150 lbs to lose. Over the first 10 days I lost 11 1/2 pounds. I knew that this was mainly water weight and that 1-2 pounds a week would be normal from that point forward. The problem is, I haven't lost anything since the 16th and I'm getting discouraged. Do I need to be burning more calories? HELP! I don't know how many more days I can go without progress before I get really frustrated.

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    how often are you weighing yourself? it's best to stick to once a week, same time and clothing (or lack thereof!) to get an accurate picture of weight loss.
    the 16th was only 4 days ago so don't get disheartened. plus 11.5lb in less than 2 weeks is AMAZING!
    finally, take measurements once a month (waist, hips...) sometimes those numbers can move faster than the scale, especially if you're doing a lot of exercise.
    good luck!
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    150 lbs, wow you can do it. Just take it 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month at a time. weigh yourself weekly, and measure yourseft at same time. I do mine on Tuesday first thing in the morning before breakfast. My goal is 2 lbs a week. More is better but I'm happy with 2. I set mini goals for my self. I go at it monthly. My next goal is Feb. 1st to be 189 lbs. Welcome to the new life changing journey.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1) 11.5 pounds is amazing. It took me a month and a half to lose that - and that's still faster than most people experience. There is nothing but awesome, awesome joy for you in that.

2) Weight loss is not linear. The body doesn't know one Sunday from the next, so the whole 1-2 pounds a week thing is more an average. Measure it on a monthly rate and you'll be a lot less stressed out.

3) The initial weight loss can really make us impatient for the rest to fall off. But patience is the only thing that's going to get the rest off.

4) I don't know if you should be burning more calories. What's your calorie goal, height, current weight, goal weight? What foods have been eating? What kinds of exercise are you able to do? That sort of thing.
  • tracy2beme
    tracy2beme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi JM, We are at about the same place right now. I started on 1/3 and I have 100 lbs to lose. We're even close to the same age. I dropped 13 lbs already which I also assume to be water weight. I haven't become discouraged yet for two main reasons:

1) I know there will be ups and downs during the journey from here to where I wan to be. It really is amazing to drop large amounts of weight so quickly. I planned to lose 1 lb a week. If I break it down, I've lost almost a pound a day. (And so have you) So, I'm already In less than 3 weeks, I should have only lost 3 lbs - I'm 10 weeks ahead of my goal! (And so are you) That's a reason to celebrate. Even if we don't lose another pound for 10 weeks, we are still a success and reaching our goal. I agree that you should weigh yourself once a week at the most even though it was so exciting to see the weight drop off so fast and now it's disappointing to see it slow down. Wait a whole week so you have something to look forward to.

2) You didn't add on that 150 lbs overnight. It took years. Our bodies are forgiving and we will lose the weight much faster than we put it on. We just have to give our body what it needs instead of so much excess. You lost 11 pounds in 10 days - can you imagine if you had put ON 11 pounds in 10 days?
  • tatu31
    tatu31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my new healthy living plan on January 8th. I have over 150 lbs to lose. Over the first 10 days I lost 11 1/2 pounds. I knew that this was mainly water weight and that 1-2 pounds a week would be normal from that point forward. The problem is, I haven't lost anything since the 16th and I'm getting discouraged. Do I need to be burning more calories? HELP! I don't know how many more days I can go without progress before I get really frustrated.

You are doing fabulous! Yo lost 11 pounds in under a month, under 2 weeks for that matter. Yes, you are correct, probably mostly water weight but be proud none the less. Give your body a chance to absorb that shock from losing that weight so quickly. You are going to do fine and you will have periods where you don't lose anything. Just don't give up when that happens. I'm nobody special, don't have any diet or nutrition background. I'm only speaking from my own experiences.

What types of foods are you eating, are you drinking enough water, and how are you burning your calories? I try not to eat bread , rice, potatoes, corn, bananas, sugar or any type of sodas. I still eat lots of good food. I don't fry it or anything like that. Don't get me wrong I'm not perfect. I eat those things some times, but for the most part, I stay away from them. They are the things that I tend to keep going back for more of. Water is very important try to drink a minimum of 64 oz a day. That is very hard for me. I usually get 60oz a day in but there are days that I don't.

I don't know where you are with your weight but I can tell you that I'm currently 217 and have lost 65 pounds. You have to be consistent but know that it doesn't happen over night and if you slip up, Don't quit! I still want to lose 52 more pounds. So I plan on being on here for awhile, we can encourage each other.

Good luck,

Tammy
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't lose heart! This is a journey to a healthy life, take it one step at a time. As for me, when I first started I didn't weigh myself for almost a month so I wouldn't be discouraged by any weight fluctuations. Another important factor is exercise...it will make a difference, even if it's just two 15-minute walks a day. You can do this! Stay focused.
  • CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your words of encouragement!! I know that I am eating right and doing what I should be, but it is hard to be patient. Thanks again for your support.