Appropriate Abs Exercises for Bad Back

Options
Hey Everyone,

I have stenosis in the lower back and will need surgery one of these days to have it repaired. For now, I am trying to lose weight to lessen the occasional pain. I also want to strengthen my core without doing any further damage to my lower back. I have researched various exercises on here and online but haven't found much.

Can anyone recommend "appropriate" exercises to do?

Thanks and good health to all!

Replies

• bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

I have stenosis in the lower back and will need surgery one of these days to have it repaired. For now, I am trying to lose weight to lessen the occasional pain. I also want to strengthen my core without doing any further damage to my lower back. I have researched various exercises on here and online but haven't found much.

Can anyone recommend "appropriate" exercises to do?

Thanks and good health to all!

I would imagine it would be tough to do crunches , situps and things like that ,,,,, Maybe try some planks , or what is know as the Rotisserie work out from scoobys work outs http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/

a quick search I found this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5J1A30Kvk
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    will be watching this post. Thank you
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answers to your question also. I'm seeing a back doctor soon.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    *bump

I have a twisted tailbone and two herniated discs. Definitely interested to see everyone's posts also! I had to give up my lifting months ago because of it. :sad:
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching this post also, I've put my back out twice in two years, and my guess would be a lack of core strength is at the root of it. In recovery just now and scared stiff to try anything, so any pointers welcome :)
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are in for the LONG haul.
    make sure you are doing the physical therapy type exercises your doc suggested.
    Google lumbar stabilization exercises to find more variety.
    abdominal isometrics.
    listen to your back,,,, don't forget to ice.
    bye....later
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physical therapist on board? I would feel extremely uncomfortable making recommendations to try any specific exercises without knowing the exact nature of your injury and if ab exercises are even the right course of action for you to take. Take care of your back- see a professional and have them help you develop a safe injury rehab plan.
  • kvh_1fan
    kvh_1fan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd also highly recommend seeing a doctor before doing too much if having back problems.

I don't have any back issues but here is what I think is a pretty low stress core workout. If you can't do them all at least you may be able to do some. For people with lower back pain the chest raises may pose an issue, but try it out and see. You can also do modified versions of the planks if needed (ie: on your knees).

Workout is recommended twice daily if you are doing no other workout. Youtube video link showing the moves is below. This is from fit2fat2fit.

Plank (Hold for 30 seconds)
    Side Plank (Hold for 30 seconds each side)
    Pelvic Thrusts on Back (Squeeze glutes at the top of each rep. 30 reps)
    Alternating Superman on Belly (Lift left arm and right leg simultaneously for 30 reps. Lift right arm and left leg simultaneously for 30 reps)
    Chest raise-ups on Belly (Lay flat on your belly with your arms by your side. While looking down raise your chest up as high as you can off the ground while squeezing your glutes/lower back. 30 reps
    Alternating Superman on all 4’s (Get on all 4’s and simultaneously raise your right arm and left leg straight out until parallel with the ground. Hold for 30 seconds. Switch and raise your left arm and right leg straight out until parallel with the ground. Hold for 30 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=az4vmGf5txA
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'd also highly recommend seeing a doctor before doing too much if having back problems.

I don't have any back issues but here is what I think is a pretty low stress core workout. If you can't do them all at least you may be able to do some. For people with lower back pain the chest raises may pose an issue, but try it out and see. You can also do modified versions of the planks if needed (ie: on your knees).

Workout is recommended twice daily if you are doing no other workout. Youtube video link showing the moves is below. This is from fit2fat2fit.

Alternating Superman on Belly (Lift left arm and right leg simultaneously for 30 reps. Lift right arm and left leg simultaneously for 30 reps)
    Chest raise-ups on Belly (Lay flat on your belly with your arms by your side. While looking down raise your chest up as high as you can off the ground while squeezing your glutes/lower back. 30 reps
    Alternating Superman on all 4’s (Get on all 4’s and simultaneously raise your right arm and left leg straight out until parallel with the ground. Hold for 30 seconds. Switch and raise your left arm and right leg straight out until parallel with the ground. Hold for 30 seconds)

These are all the exact exercises my PT had me do when I was going. I have annular tears in 2 of my discs and have been battling low back pain for 4 years now. I just recently had my abdominal muscles sewn back together and 4 hernias repaired. This has actually helped my back quite a bit and I'm hoping will help even more when I am able to actually work my core again. I just had the surgery 3 weeks ago so I have 3 more weeks. Back pain is awful.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options

These are all the exact exercises my PT had me do when I was going. I have annular tears in 2 of my discs and have been battling low back pain for 4 years now. I just recently had my abdominal muscles sewn back together and 4 hernias repaired. This has actually helped my back quite a bit and I'm hoping will help even more when I am able to actually work my core again. I just had the surgery 3 weeks ago so I have 3 more weeks. Back pain is awful.

I feel for you so bad. I'm thankful mine isn't that bad but it still sucks. 8 months now and still hate it....

thanks for the suggestions! And, again, i agree with everyone else. Take the advice, but get the expert recommendation on if it's ok. I have a chiro and orthopedic I ALWAYS run these new ideas by BEFORE trying to attempt.