NEED ADVICE FROM EX_SMOKERS

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I used the patch for a while, but I have to say...really WANTING to quit is the biggest motivator.

I was just really, really frickin' tired of having a smoker's cough, stinky car and clothes, chronic bronchitis and that ever-present anxious feeling where you're always worried you might run out of cigarettes......not to mention the constantly rising cost of of cigarettes was really getting old.

I'll have my one-year anniversary in less than two weeks and couldn't be more happy! Good luck..you CAN do this..you just have to want it bad enough. :drinker:
  • DeeJustice
    DeeJustice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    True Story: I had smoked off and on for 30+ years. I am 53 now. I quit about 15-16 times. Sometimes for as long as 6 years at a time. This time a prayed about it. One saturday evening at church I prayed and asked God to take away my cravings. I told him that I knew that I could not do it without him and I knew that through him I could. So I simply said this prayer to myself, Father God , I come to you broken and humbled . You said with you all things are possible, I am asking you to take away the cravings as I quit smoking tonight, take away the urge after I have a meal , take away the urge after I have coffee. I know with you I can do this, but only with you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

On my way home from Church I smoked my last cigarette and threw away the two packs I bought before church that evening. That was Feb 18, 2012. I haven't smoked one since. My trigger was when I would get into my car. I cleaned my car, then threw away the ash tray. In place of the ash tray I filled my cup holder with peppermints that I bought at Sams. It was a huge tub of mints. by the 7th day I had gone through the entire tub!! I did have heartburn from the mints a few times. But I haven't craved a cigarette one time since the night in church. God Bless and best of Luck

Matthew 19:26
    New International Version (NIV)
    26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

John 14:14
    New International Version (NIV)
    14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
  • ricklperry
    Options
    I'm on day 20 no smokes. Some days are easier than others. Was craving this morning so went to the gym instead.
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    i just recently quit this New year and I was not preparred for all the side effects ( no one tells you the cold truth) anyway, the first two weeks were hard and mind you not everyone has all the side effects of Nicotine withdrawl. I had alot of bloating and slight gerd, so not eating was not a problem however smoking burns 200 calories a day so be preparred for your metabolism to slow down and possibly gain 3lbs over night or more. It is the truth so before you quit lower your calorie intake to about 300 less than normal drink alot of cold water and give yourself a week of being miserable...Like I said not everyone gets all these terrible symptoms but most do. I quit and went right into trying to lose 20 lbs excercise has been helping things move along..I just say dont be hard on your self and give yourself atleast a week of misery. :) but YOU CAN DO IT :smile:

BTW- i smoked for 25 years and no patch...
  • nins11065
    nins11065 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am an ex-smoker and I DID quit cold turkey. What helped me was my sister showing me pictures of smokers' lungs, livers and throats. That was nasty and sadning. I just droped my cigarrete and moved on without thinking about it twice. I think that what you need to do is not think about how smoking makes you feel, rahter how they are destroying your organs and your looks! I quited in 1989 and never looked back....BUT this is not about me but you instead. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will provide as much support as I can to help you.
    Nins
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's been many years since I quit! Nov 20th 1984 to be exact! It was national smoke out day and I was driving to work and heard it on the radio to just commit to no smoking for 24 hours! My boss at work was an ex smoker and back then in those days you could smoke at work. I was a new hire, and when he saw me smoking..he said he wouldn't have hired me if he knew I smoked! And at that time, my dad smoked and had a heart attack and he quit..so it was a combination of things that made me try to quit! That 24 hours on November 20th ..turned into ,days , then weeks, months ..and years! I never went back..as a matter of fact, the smell of smoke gags me ..and a person that smokes..smells like an ashtray!
    I did it cold turkey..so it can be done without drugs, patches etc. I took it a day at a time. It was horrible the first couple of weeks..I was a real *****! But as the days added up..It got easier and I felt better than I had in years!

Good luck!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    I started smoking at 14 and stopped 3 years ago. I smoked 2 packs a day; but in NYE 2010 I decided to quit smoking and binge drinking on regular basis, and I've made it so far. Go one day at a time...the first month you will feel the abstinence syndrome, then it gets better. If someone in your group is smoking, go away. Try to avoid similar situations. It's your health, it's your life.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used fake cigarettes to quit. About 15 years ago, my mother had a relapse of cancer and I promised I would quit with her. I bought these fake cigarettes that were basically one long filter wrapped in paper. I carried a couple with me in an empty pack and whenever I hit a trigger (after a meal, during a break, a red light...) I would just puff on the fake cigarette a couple times and the craving would pass. After a couple weeks I didn't need them anymore. Keep your hands busy during your down time, build a puzzle, do a craft, anything to keep your fingers occupied. After about 3 days the physical cravings should ease up, then you just have to deal with your mental triggers.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    First you have to really want to quit, if you don't want it bad enough you will most likely fail. What helped me was the patch.

^^ this If you don't really want it you will fail. I tried the patch several times and hated it. I finally quit cold turkey because the thought of wearing the patch again made me ill.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Finding out I was pregnant did it for me. Now I have been an ex-smoker for 8 years now. I think you need your own motivation really. I England there is a free programme encouraging people to quit. I don't know where you are in the world but may be there is one near you. Ask your GP.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I quit on March 29, 2011. I didn't quit because I wanted to, or because I chose to. I quit because I went to the doctor (I had been uber sick with what I assumed was another bout of bronchitis) and after a look at my chest x-ray the doctor said that not only did I have pneumoni but I may have tumors in my lungs as well. That was pretty much a sign that I was not going to smoke. I was only 25 at the time. I, thankfully, didn't have cancer, but I do have an auto-immune disease in my lungs. Smoking is so not worth what it was doing to me.

I do crave them still but if I do try them they taste nasty. All in all I am greatful that I no longer smoke.
  • cheangela1
    Options
    This might be strange, but every time I wanted a cigarette I would brush my teeth. If I couldn't (meeting at work, etc.) I would pop a toothpick treated with peppermint and tea tree oil in my mouth and play with it.
  • cheangela1
    Options
    ...and best wishes darlin'!
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I quit 11 years ago it was really tough though! I had cravings and cried a lot my husband would hold me and kiss me when i would have a craving for one this really helped me. After 30 days the smell made me throw up!!! that made a huge difference and I have never went back!!!!!! My son in law is on his 7 or 8th time of trying to quit afraid that he won't make it pray that he does! I pray for you too! I did it could turkey having a support system helps!!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant and then breast-fed lol. Not something I guess you can try!

I may have a night out literally once a year where I get a craving and give in but the next day I quite happily continue as if I hadn't.

Try looking at this calculator to look at it from a financial point of view seeing we all know the health benefits:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/demotivator/
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I smoked since age 8. I got to 1.5 packs a day.......They were way cheaper back then. I remember saying they were for my mom and I just grabbed trash bags or something for the house with it. It was SO HARD to quit but now that I don't cough up huge lugies I'm happy and I also have two friends with cancer from smoking. They do treatments and cough uncontrollably. They still smoke with cancer-HOW STUPID!!!!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 years and 5 months ago I didn't do it cold turkey I was smoking a pack a day- I started smoking outside on the porch or in the garage. Then I switched to American Spirit Cigarettes they don't have the additives in them just pure tobacco(at least they didn't back then when the tribe still owned them don't know bout now) -those cigs really cut back my gotta have one in 15 minute cravings... before I knew it I was smoking a pack a week and went like that for quite a while then when we moved here to Texas I left them in Oklahoma didn't want to bring them with me lol.... we moved next to a chain smoker who smokes outside so it was tough always smelling it... this last 8 months are the first I haven't had cravings for it even after all these years lol.
    Good luck
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking care of yourself. I quit 13 years ago after many attempts that didn't last. A month here, 6 months there, a couple months, a year and finally got it! I went cold turkey and just chewed the heck out of straws. I know that's not exciting or anything but that's what I did. I also kept bottled water with me and every time I wanted a cigarette I drank a bottle of water. I think that helped me from gaining weight. With the straws, I just always had one with me and chewed on it and I think it helped to have something in my fingers (like the cigarette) and then putting it in my mouth. I've had friends that used suckers (lolipops) for a couple months and that worked great for them. Wishing you all the best. You can do it!!!
  • trrion
    trrion Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with everyone else first and foremost you have to want to quit, once you make up your mind to never do it again then it becomes easier. After 32 years of smoking I quit moving to an e-cig off and on for about 3 months, then quit that too. Just didn't want it anymore. I have not had a ciggerette going on 7 months and never crave one anymore. I actually can't stand the smell of it now, I can smell it on someone else that smokes and it almost nauseates me. I am ashamed that I walked around smelling like that as I never knew how bad it smelt while I was smoking. I guess it was denial when someone told me how bad it smelt. Physically I feel so much better, food tastes so much better (which can be a bad thing if you have weight isues like me), you sense of smell improves, but the best part for me is I can exercise without gasping for air after 5 minutes. I also don't kid myself, I know if I picked one up I would probably be back to smoking, so it is a frame of mind with me now and I really don't miss it. Good luck with quitting, you will do it when the time is right!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 18 years (well 17, actually. I did quit for a year, several years back, but started again). Yeah...and I started smoking at an early age for those that figure out my age and do the math.

I have been a bit over 5 months smoke free now and I did it cold turkey. I tried cutting back, etc..but I realized that I would never really be "ready" to quit and so one day (Aug. 13th) I said...screw this. I'm done.

The first 2 weeks were horrible. The first month was crappy. The 2nd month seemed barely doable. I was cranky, emotional, and there were times I binged on food and thought I'd go crazy. But now, I'm so happy I did it and this time it is going to stick.

Some of the things that helped was chewing gum, baby carrots and using the Livestrong Quit Smoking app. It sounds silly but pressing that crave button like a maniac kind of helped me calm down..hahaha. One of the biggest helps, though, was exercise. Jumping on that elliptical or doing some push ups helped take my mind off of it and make me feel so good that I didn't want to smoke for awhile. :smile:

However you go about doing it..just do it. :flowerforyou: