Help me eat!

Options
I used to suffer from an eating disorder and it's made my appetite small and metabolism slow.
I try to eat healthy but I can't think of what to eat and now this app keeps telling me off for not eating enough calories. I eat under 1,000 calories a day at the moment and I can't help it.

I'm due to go grocery shopping tomorrow and can't think what else to put on my list, so far I have :-
Lettuce
Onions
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Mayonnaise
Porridge
Eggs
Frozen Vegetables
Steak (This has to be part of my diet because of my anemia)
Chicken
Rice (Brown/Wholegrain)
Pork Chops
Sugar (I don't use it often, mostly I have it in for when people are visiting and want sugar in their tea/coffee)
Celery
Tinned Fish (I love mixing this in with rice or salad)
Squash (can't stomach plain water but I'm trying to stay away from pure juices and fizzy drinks)
Peanut Butter
Jam (Low Sugar/Sugar Free)
Butter (Low Fat)
Bread
Grapes/Blueberries/Strawberries (whatever of those fruits is on offer or in season at the time)
Mushrooms
Baked Beans! (My guilty pleasure!)
Spring Onions

What else should be on the list? And what of those things shouldn't be on the list? x

Replies

• mrsmccullough7
    Options
    hello i had belemia when i was 15 also and was a horrible time in my life.

remember seasonings for meat so things are not boring and snacking stuff like dried fruit and nuts

peanut butter is really bad tho hun
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You have alot of low calorie stuff there. add nuts in with your salads. No sugar free or low fat stuff. whole milk. some sauces for your rice?

all the berrie fruits are to low in calories. add oranges. Apple's. bananas.

xx
  • ajeska
    ajeska Posts: 9
    Options
    Oatmeal!
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You should not go under 1200 cals a day...
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I would skip buying the mayo and buy avacados instead. I'd also add Greek Yogurt.
  • youngmommab
    Options
    You should not go under 1200 cals a day...

Well done for that oh so helpful advice. Can you detect the sarcasm?
    I know I shouldn't go below 1,200 calories a day. That's why I asked for advice on how to up my calorie intake. As I said, I'm not doing it on purpose and I apologise if this comes across as *****y but I'm trying to get help and comments like that aren't helpful they just remind me that I'm failing my son because I don't eat properly and now I'm trying not to cry.

If you have nothing helpful to say then don't comment.

To the rest of the comments, thanks for your advice. I can't eat avocado or bananas (I throw up violently if I eat them) but I've got normal mayo instead of low fat. I've got dried fruit to snack on - it'll take some adjusting to because dried mango is really sharp which I didn't used to think haha.

I'm having oatmeal/porridge for breakfast every morning at the moment. It's nice and filling which is causing issues at lunch as I then don't feel hungry so I've moved dinner and lunch a bit later so that I have lunch at around 2pm and dinner at around 7pm now and that seems to have helped me eat 3 times a day.

My normal menu at the moment is golden syrup and porridge/oatmeal for breakfast.
    Tuna and mayo sandwich, soup or vegetable pasta for lunch.
    Dinner varies but it always includes vegetables, meat and carbs.

I now don't drink while I eat as that makes me feel full faster and I know I need to eat more. I've got my smoothie maker out and shall be giving that a go (I'm a bit funny about the texture of smoothies but I'm determined to have smoothies instead of milkshakes or dessert). I've got cuppa soups in my cupboard along with dried fruit and meusli as snacks.

I'm going to look up recipes for an easy to make breakfast bar for when I need breakfast on the go.

Any other tips? x
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Dry beans...black beans, pinto beans, or red beans. High in fiber and very filling. Eat one cup for a meal....and if you are me you might just throw in a little corn bread...I'm southern, I just can't help it yall...
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...
  • amohamy
    amohamy Posts: 30
    Options
    I think cracker breads and ryvita with various toppings are great for snacks.

Well done for seeking advice as it means you've accepted you may need a little guidance. And don't listen to the unhelpful advice - people can be a little dim!
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Stop buying low fat and low sugar, just buy regular brands. Eat loads of olive oil, avocoda, nuts, fatty cuts of meat (dont buy lean i mean), coconut milk has lots of calories, make it into a smoothie and add eggs and olive oil and you have almost 1000 calories just there :P
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Try adding full fat milk in aswell, thats an easy snack to have with calories :)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

peanut butter is really bad tho hun

No. It's actually a very good source of protein and healthy fats. I do recommend buying natural PB

Maybe some more green veggies, I find baby spinach is great because it can be thrown in with everything.

Larabars or similar are great if you're trying to up your cals. They are tasty, convenient and fairly calorie dense
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Absolutely baby spinach! I eat it on sandwiches, in smoothies, in omelettes, on pizza... YUM! Hummus and veggie sticks are so good too.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Low fat butter? :noway: If you're trying to up your calories, don't eat 'low-fat' versions of yogurt, milk or cheese. The rest of your shopping list looks pretty good to me. If you're open to it, protein powder for shakes is a great way to get in more calories without stuffing your stomach up.

Kale for your anemia, it has lots of iron and it's easy to sneak into smoothies and salads.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Absolutely baby spinach! I eat it on sandwiches, in smoothies, in omelettes, on pizza... YUM! Hummus and veggie sticks are so good too.

I made my own hommus not long ago, with baby spinach blended into it, so good!
  • hjdavies2326
    hjdavies2326 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...

This.
    Don't complain when someone criticises you. don't moan about not eating enough. Order a ****ing takeway once in a while if you want to up calories. Grazing too. I don't even know you but how you worded your op, I cant tell what type of person you are and will not accept anyone's advice just get defensive so what are you really doing here?

Sorry to be harsh but sometimes its needed.

Edit - also you say on your profile you need to loose weight not gain it. So why post about needing help to eat and up your calories? Isn't tnat why you're on this website? Because you ate too much?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above advice to avoid buying low fat or low sugar. You've got room for a few more calories, so get the full flavor option, like regular butter instead of low fat butter . Also buy whatever roasted nut you might like; it's good to add to salads or eat with fruit. I love greek yogurt with fruit and a few nuts.

Good luck and best wishes!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    you know what kudos on you for seeking advice and I think you have the basis for a damn good shopping list there! I get similar things to you, I get hummous as well, sweet potatoes, low fat cream cheese to do stuffed chicken or creamy sauces etc.
    I think peanut butter is great and maybe add some lentils if you can stomach them just for the fibre aspect. Definitely recommend full fat stuff (cos let's face it... it does taste better ha ha).
    What else do I get??? ummmmm fish, plenty of fish, spinach pasta, cous cous. Lean steak mince, (I make really good cottage pie!).
    I hope this helps somewhat. I definitely this you have made an excellent start though
    :flowerforyou:
  • Splodge345
    Options
    Try adding some nuts, because they will up your calories and they contain protein. Also maybe look at alternative tinned fish, which may have more calories. You have to make changes gradually.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Walnuts or sunflower seeds would be good with your oatmeal.