TDEE BMR

Options
I'm so confused about this TDEE, BMR concept. I went to a website to calculate mine and it said I have a TDEE of over 2600 calories which is pretty relieving on the days I go over. What I'm unsure of is that it says I have a BMR of 1700. Could I really eat that much and lose? How accurate are the calculators? How accurate is BMR TDEE?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Use a couple different websites and use an average of all the numbers they give you. I don't know how tall you are, and what you're setting for your activity levels, but if you're over 200 pounds right now, then yes, your BMR could easily be 1700.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Learn what you need to know through the link below. It is awesome information and will change your life. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Learn what you need to know through the link below. It is awesome information and will change your life. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome. There is also a MFP group by the same name for questions/support as well.
  • gbmakeup
    gbmakeup Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello to all the experienced Dieters.

I have to say, until I joined MFP I didnt have a clue about BMR or TDEE. I kind of guessed you should eat about 2000 cals a day and eat hardly any junk food and would lose weight. I tried that method for the first 4 days of my diet and lost 2lb. I also added a interval fitness DVD to my walking regime. I then joined the site, and worked out my BMR as 1822. Ok so the planner then suggested that as I want to lose 2lb per week I should aim for 1650 calories. Ok, thats fine too - I sometimes couldnt even manage that. But then the whole exercise thing really confused me. It said that after exercise..even just my walk, my net cals were around 1000.
    Great I thought!! Im eating hardly anything, the weight will drop off. Until I weighed in today. I weighed 3lbs more than I did 5 days ago and was 1/2 inch shorter Lol! I used the same scales in a shop both times. SO tell me, am I doing something wrong? I do let myself have treats, but if they are within my calorie goal each day does it matter? I dont eat back my exercise calories either.
    I have kept a photo diary for the last 15 days (one of which on my profile pic is day 1 and day 14) and I am obviously lsoing inches..but where the hell are the lbs?!!!

Help!!and please add me if you are a like minded dieter : )
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The problem, as I see it, is that there isn't' any authoritative source for this information. You can read about it and use calculators on 10 different sites and get 10 different explanations for calculations and how it all works. Also, you can't count on U.S. government nutrition information either. So where do you go? We need a source for information that is unbiased, factual, based on real science, and backed by real world studies, and also isn't trying to sell you anything.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1

This is the best write-up i've seen regarding BMR and TDEE and there are a few formulas for BMR but the one used the most tends to be highly inaccurate.

Have a good read of that and work it out.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The problem, as I see it, is that there isn't' any authoritative source for this information. You can read about it and use calculators on 10 different sites and get 10 different explanations for calculations and how it all works. Also, you can't count on U.S. government nutrition information either. So where do you go? We need a source for information that is unbiased, factual, based on real science, and backed by real world studies, and also isn't trying to sell you anything.

Lol. When you find rainbow farting unicorns, lemme know.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Love this^^^^^
    Also the link to the road map works and is certainly not trying to get you to buy anything. As Beachlover says there is a group by the same name where you can see how many people have found this very successful.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Take an average of what the various sites say, maybe? I followed MFP guidelines for awhile and then started seeing what other people are doing. I started incorporating what would work for me and that's turned out well. The massive amounts of information out there can be overwhelming (it's always stymied me before), so keeping it really simple - calories in, calories out - has given me the confidence to wade through it all. It also gives me the breathing room to try new things and the pressure to have be ON IT ALL THE TIME 100% RAAARRRR has faded. That helps, too.
  • gbmakeup
    gbmakeup Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have indeed been on countless BMR TDEE calculators and actually they are usually all within 100 calories of each other. I think I could become way to obsessed with being bang on each day. My body completely changed shape in days when I just cut out the crap, exercised more and ate in or around my BMR. I guess its a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Just one question still bothering me. If I ate a chocolate bar worth say 200 calories a day - but it was within my calorie goal - would it eventually make me put on weight.

Lots of luck to you all.

#diet tip of the day. Cool a jug of green tea, keep in fridge. Pour a pint glass twice a day, add ice, fresh citrus fruit segments - Hell, add a straw and umbrella too : )
  • mfaine
    Options

The pithy attitude of your response is a big part of why I don't want to live on this planet anymore. You act as though I'm being completely unreasonable but, in fact, this is something that any population should expect, no demand, from their government but it is because of this attitude that we just have to take what we can find online, at our own risk.

I don't need it much at this point but these guidelines should be available to anyone who needs them. Human nutrition and how to gather objective metrics, in a way that is accurate and consistent for anyone within an insignificant margin of error, has been known for a long time but that information doesn't usually make it down to laymen in a way they can use to control their weight and optimize their health through nutrition, mostly because of politics, lobbyists, corporate interests, etc. Your attitude only serves to perpetuate this state. Take a look at U.S. Nutritional Guidelines to see what I mean.

I respect @Helloitsdan and like his road map, I mean at least he is trying. However, ultimately you can't say his information is any more accurate or official than the next guy who posts something on a forum. It has no authoritative weight. You can't expect people to put their health in the hands of some guy online. There needs to be accountability for such things, and that is probably why MFP doesn't get involved. His is the best advice I've seen on MFP boards, but then that bar is kind of low.

If it helps, think of it like a Scrabble dictionary. If there were a disagreement, how would one settle it? That is all I'm asking for and I don't think it is too much to ask. The reason that works is because all of the parties involved trust the source above all.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The pithy attitude of your response is a big part of why I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Pithy is not bad. Orange PITH - now that stuff''s gross. Get's hung up on in my teeth, tastes terrible.

As per wanting an established guideline - I get that. And I understand the frustration of not receiving it. We all must do what we can in the meantime. In the place of an iron-clad set of rules, things that aren't going to immediately (or seemingly long-term) harm you seem preferable to NO information at all.

Maybe someday we'll get all the info. That'd be great. It'd eliminate a lot of aggravating broscience (my new favorite word). And being upset about it isn't bad - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it helps with push TO get those guidelines.

But at this time, it is what it is. Do the research, see what works, and have the patience to try again. I'm rather convinced that's the entirety of life.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I just switched from 1500 cals a day to 1800 cals a day. Last week I ate at that number, with 2 whoops 3000 cals days (stress/birthday) and lost 2 pounds! I can eat so much, it's awesome and I lose weight!
  • mfaine
    Options
    @quirkytizzy - Great response, and I agree completely. It is a shame but that is the state of things. I'm only saying, that we shouldn't be satisfied with the status quo and we should strive for better more authoritative sources. I love the word "broscience", it is such an apt description of what we see so much of on MFP. I sometimes hesitate to recommend MFP because I'm afraid that many people aren't good at separating the broscience from actual science and I don't want to be responsible for the results.
  • sandradev1
    Options

The pithy attitude of your response is a big part of why I don't want to live on this planet anymore. You act as though I'm being completely unreasonable but, in fact, this is something that any population should expect, no demand, from their government but it is because of this attitude that we just have to take what we can find online, at our own risk.

I don't need it much at this point but these guidelines should be available to anyone who needs them. Human nutrition and how to gather objective metrics, in a way that is accurate and consistent for anyone within an insignificant margin of error, has been known for a long time but that information doesn't usually make it down to laymen in a way they can use to control their weight and optimize their health through nutrition, mostly because of politics, lobbyists, corporate interests, etc. Your attitude only serves to perpetuate this state. Take a look at U.S. Nutritional Guidelines to see what I mean.

I respect @Helloitsdan and like his road map, I mean at least he is trying. However, ultimately you can't say his information is any more accurate or official than the next guy who posts something on a forum. It has no authoritative weight. You can't expect people to put their health in the hands of some guy online. There needs to be accountability for such things, and that is probably why MFP doesn't get involved. His is the best advice I've seen on MFP boards, but then that bar is kind of low.

If it helps, think of it like a Scrabble dictionary. If there were a disagreement, how would one settle it? That is all I'm asking for and I don't think it is too much to ask. The reason that works is because all of the parties involved trust the source above all.

I think that the Road Map works for most of the parties involved in using it, because we understand that the figures are 'best' estimates. The information on the Map itself tells users to re-assess the numbers after losing each 5 lb as lower/higher weight will then alter all the data.

None of us are a 'special snowflake', but then again we are not all the same. It would be impossible for any government to come up with an 'off the peg' calculation that fitted everybody, let alone a global calculator. BMR, TDEG, and TDEE numbers are rapidly moving targets and at best you will only ever get an estimate.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Even if there isn't any science or facts that someone can post about tdee and bmr, I don't get what could be bad about eating as much food as you can while still losing weight? I would much rather eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight than eat 1000 calories a day.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Even if there isn't any science or facts that someone can post about tdee and bmr, I don't get what could be bad about eating as much food as you can while still losing weight? I would much rather eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight than eat 1000 calories a day.

Totally agree. Also when we get to target weight and need to maintain, how much more frightening will it be to increase from 1000 cals to 2000 cals. It will involve another total change in eating pattern. Whereas just increasing by up to 500 cals maximum will be no sweat - a small increase in portion size and we're there.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Love this^^^^^
    Also the link to the road map works and is certainly not trying to get you to buy anything. As Beachlover says there is a group by the same name where you can see how many people have found this very successful.
    What is the link to the group?
  • sandradev1
    Options

Love this^^^^^

What is the link to the group?