170 Pounds Lost In Less Than 10 Months!!

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You look wonderful.

It may be easier to incorporate a fitness plan into your home life than in going to a gym, especially with children. (Although some find it great as an escape.) You can do an incredible amount of fitness work at home, using DVDs or a weight machine, or even a treadmill or stair stepper. The hardest part is making it a habit. Once it is a habit, you don't have to even think about it. I make myself not debate over whether or not to do it. Just do it. (A technique I have had to use a lot in my life since I have a depressive disorder.) Make it as convenient and accessible as possible. For instance, I have bone on bone arthritis in my knees, so my surgeon said no walking or bicycling anymore. Just swimming. But I live in small town Iowa where the nearest public pool is half an hour away. Am I going to get to the pool for their scheduled lap times often? No, but I bought a hot tub and put it in my unheated garage. I can get out there five times a week, sometimes more, to do half laps- I hang on the side and do my kicks, then I sit in the footwell and do my arm strokes. It is easy to access and convenient, so I do it. Before, I did aerobics videos- Richard Simmons. At home. And it got done, even though my eating wasn't under control!
  • tdreamprn
    tdreamprn Posts: 4 Member
    Very inspiring....congrats to you!
  • I am so happy for you ! I know how you must feel, feeling more "accepted" in a world you couldn't before because of others opinions. I have struggled with my weight all my life, up and down but in the last year I have put on more than 30 pounds and have only stress and medicines side effects to blame (probably could throw in a bit of depression too). But back to YOU...*smile*. You have done it, made it through the "hard" part, congratulations !!!

On adding the gym to your routine, one of my daughter's doctors told us that when adding exercise to your routine, it should be something you can do within and around your "home" base, simply because most people will always find a reason or more to not be able to go to the gym. If it is something you can do at home then you'll more than likely work it in and around your current entertaining and living ways.

Treadmills are good, stationary bikes, even those pedals you use while you are sitting watching TV are good for getting you moving. I highly suggest any form of line dancing, a person can do the electric slide to any genre of music. It helps you with cardio and definitely burns some calories.

Good luck with the rest of your journey and the maintenance of. Again, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Awesome!! I looked at your pictures in your profile and wow, you look amazing!! Congrats. What a great accomplishment!
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Pictures, pictures. The before and after pictures are so inspiring. Do you have any???
    :glasses:
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Well done buddy!! What a wonderful job you have done, congratulations!!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    amazing loss... Fabulous that you worked so hard and now can see the health benefits to weight loss... Thanks for sharing and wtg..... : )
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Wow that is so wonderful to hear!!! People (not on this site) tell me it took years to gain it and it will take years to loss it. You are an example of that is not true at all. This was so amazing for me to read. Great job! I am very new to this site and all this so it was great to read how wonderful it has been for someone.
  • Thank you all for the comments! This is amazing! To answer a couple questions, yes, I have done this all by just using MFP. I add everything that I eat into the app and just go from there.

I have cut out all soda (I used to drink 2-3 per day) and fried foods. I do occasionally eat some boneless wings at BW3, but I limit that. I did NOT give up favorite foods, however. I love bacon!! :) I make different decisions on how I eat. Instead of mayo on a sandwich, I use mustard. I eat pickles instead of chips as a side. If I go to Qdoba, I get the naked burrito instead of a regular burrito. I get very little cheese and no sour cream. As for cardio, one thing I have noticed is that people will add everything they do into the app. If I cut the lawn, I do NOT add that. It's something I should be doing anyway, so I don't want to add 'false' allowable calories to my diet. If I am shopping, walking at a park with the kids, again... Something I would be doing anyway.

The biggest thing is that I don't stray from the app. If I do allow a 'cheat' day, I don't go too far off course. Since I have started, maybe 3 or 4 times have I gone above my daily goal. I think it's cutting out the fried foods and sodas that made the biggest difference. Oh, and if you want a great snack, wrap ham or turkey with mustard and a Fit-&-Active string cheese in a piece of lettuce.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a sucker for chocolate chip cookies and milk, but again, I need to eat snacks like I mentioned above in order to enjoy the sweets. Just don't starve yourself, or cut out what you enjoy. Just enjoy less of it.

I hope this helps. I am NOT a nutritionist by any means. It just made sense to me. To anyone who is just starting, TRUST ME, once you feel the results, and can fit into smaller clothing, you will NOT want to stop. I've gone from a size 48 loose fit jeans to now, currently being in a size 36 SLIM cut jeans.

Good luck!!! I can't wait to read more stories from all of you amazing people!
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Wow! High five to you!!:drinker:
  • So inspiring!
  • iam1superwomn
    iam1superwomn Posts: 3 Member
    What an inspiration! Don't ever look back!:tongue:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Thank you for the inspiration! Way to go!
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Awesome!!! I am so happy for you and you're such an inspiration!
  • nomoremasa23
    nomoremasa23 Posts: 18 Member
    Congratulations on your success! You have taken the right steps to make a positive change in your life to get healthier for you and your wife! Exercise fill definitely be easier at this weight. The most important thing that I have found is to do something that you enjoy. I do not have a gym membership and have lost weight. I walk, do trails, kickboxing, Zumba, dance, clean house all that you can add to your cardio on mfp! Plus the fact as a man lifting weights you will burn fat and see results! Dont over do it, start off small and work your way up! You can do this!!!!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Thanks for sharing.

On a similar journey myself.

Former college athlete here, who let things get out of hand and ended up as a middle-aged fat man where my peak weight was topping out at 346 lbs. Got fed up with myself in late Fall 2012 and decided to eat heathier and get healthier as a lifestyle change rather than going on a diet. Been on plenty of diets in the past - even lost over 60 lbs a few years back - but they were never sustainable and I always ended up gaining all of the weight back + more.

Discovered this MFP website and App at the New Year and it - along with testimonials from many others who have successfully lost 100lbs, 200 lbs, 300lbs and more - have helped to educate myself that the key to successful change is not 'brain science" or "rocket surgery" but rather simple math: Better Food choices + calorie/nutrition journaling + move more + consistancy + time is the pathway to a healthier self both physically and mentally.

Have lost over 50 lbs since the Fall and am now at 292 and am 1/3 of the way en route back to getting my 6' 3" frame back to a healthy goal rate of 195 lbs or so.

It might take me a full year or so but that's ok. I know that keeping on the proper coarse will get me to that goal in due time. I will eventually hit that goal and, when I do, it will be the first time in nearly 1/4 of a century that I will be under the 200 lbs. mark.

The funny thing is that, so far, this has been the easiest pathway for me to stick with. Have gone cold turkey on sodas and processed sugars but am still allowing myself to satisfy my sweet tooth with proper portions of fruit.

Aside from that, the calorie journaling aspect has made it clear that I do not need to give up other foods that I love - steak, tacos, pizza, eggs, pork chops, asian food, whatever - as long as I am consitant about staying within my targeted calorie/nutrition range.

In any event, congrats on your success and thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

I expect to be posting my own damn testimonial in early 2014!
  • elliev30
    elliev30 Posts: 20 Member
    This is terrific and so inspiring! Thank you for sharing
  • You are a true inspiration, not just in the changes in your life and the weight loss but with your sweet spirit. So very happy for you, I'm sure life is looking good, and you deserve it. Take care.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Congrats!!! That's quite an accomplishment. I am at the beginning of my journey...and can't wait to see what happens. Hang in there!!!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Truly amazing congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!