How Do I know how many servings it is?

Options
Corzy75
Corzy75 Posts: 6 Member
Hello,

This is my first time posting in the forums. I made a big pot of Vegetable Beef soup last night and I'm not quite sure how to tell how many portions there are.

I used the number of cups of vegetable juice that I put in it as my portions, but it seems like there are a lot more than that.

For example, here are the ingredients:

Great Value - 100% No Sugar Added Vegetable Juice, 128 oz
Veg-All - Homestyle Large Cut Vegetables (29 oz Can), 7 cup
Great Value - (Walmart) - Whole Kernel Corn, 1 cup
Del Monte - Cut Green Beans Reduced Sodium, 1 3/4 Cup
Great Value - Stew Meat, 32 OUNCES
Cabbage - Fresh Raw Cabbage, 0.5 Head (32 oz.)

So by my logic I used the number of servings as 16. 128 oz of juice divided by 8 oz (1 cup) servings.

Am I way off here? Because it looks like there are a lot more servings than that in there.

Thanks

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You could always literaly measure it. I have a measuring pitcher, dump it in one of those and see how many 8oz servings you have. If you don't have one, simply measure out 8oz/1 cup into another bowl until you have measured it all. Good luck.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I create recipes, I generally base the number of servings either on the main protein (eg; 2 lbs of beef @ .25 lbs per serving = 16 servings) or on what the final product yields. Soup is usually a one cup serving of combined broth and added veggies & proteins. It sounds like your recipe would yield closer to 16 one-cup servings. You'd want to measure the volume of the final product to be sure. Your soup sounds yummy!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just guess.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You could always literaly measure it. I have a measuring pitcher, dump it in one of those and see how many 8oz servings you have. If you don't have one, simply measure out 8oz/1 cup into another bowl until you have measured it all. Good luck.
    Good Question, good answer. I never thought to do that :noway: I too make a lot of soups ( huge pot of Chili, veg and other kinds) The other thing hard is figuring nutrients from all other stuff ( ie 1# raw pinto beans) :ohwell: It is hard to figure out accurate servings and nutrients on homemade things.:frown:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hello,

This is my first time posting in the forums. I made a big pot of Vegetable Beef soup last night and I'm not quite sure how to tell how many portions there are.

I used the number of cups of vegetable juice that I put in it as my portions, but it seems like there are a lot more than that.

So by my logic I used the number of servings as 16. 128 oz of juice divided by 8 oz (1 cup) servings.

Am I way off here? Because it looks like there are a lot more servings than that in there.

Thanks
    It looks as good a way as any - other than measuring it out. - which you might do anyway since, unless you are planning to live on this soup/stew for the next 16 meals, you will want to freeze it in bags of one portion, then you lust heat up as many bags as there are people sharing it.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally measure my soups out cup by cup when we do it. It's not fun but it's accurate
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    What I did the last time I made soup was dish all 4 of us 10 oz servings and kept count when anyone wanted more. Then I weighed the rest and did the math. Sometimes when I first enter a recipe I will guess but then I take measuremnts like I mentioned to see how close I came. I love the recipe section on here.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I use a pot with a known volume so I know how many cups it contains, then measure each serving with a measuring ladle. If you use the recipe section in the food logs you can build a recipe and see how many calories there would be in various numbers of servings.

then you can decide how large a serving you want and portion accordingly
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    when ever i make something- i always portion it out into plastic containers that i can freeze or keep in te fridge- ( easier for my family to just grab & reheat) & then the next time i make it i know aporx how many it serves
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I personally measure my soups out cup by cup when we do it. It's not fun but it's accurate

Yep, this is what I do.
  • Corzy75
    Corzy75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!!! Greatly appreciated!!!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This is why I eat frozen dinners so much. I get confused on how to break down the portions properly. And i have to say, those are good ideas but it sounds like a lot of work...
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can use household items or your hand to estimate around that amount if you don't have something to measure with on you.

They generally say:
    1 cup- size of a baseball
    3/4 cup- size of a tennis ball
    1/2 cup- size of a computer mouse
    1/4 cup- size of an egg
    3 ounces- size of a deck of cards
    2 teaspoons- size of a ping pong ball

Also, this site is a bit more specific and has more examples...
    For using household items: http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/servings/household_items.htm
    For using your hand: http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/servings/handy_reminders.htm

Hope this helps!!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I just guess.
    [/quote

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: me too :laugh: ]
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks

1 would measure it in another larger container and divide that amount into 8 ounce servings. then i would log a recipe into your diary and add each ingredient and their nutritional values. you should be able to go from there and get your 1 cup servings and be pretty accurate. :)