Plank on MFP?

Options
I did planks today. LOVING THE BURN! Is there another word for plank to log it in my exercise diary?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • kmmcquay
    kmmcquay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Darn it, ok. thanks.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Darn, I thought this would be a thread of MFP-ers Planking all over the place.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    So did I ^^^^

Lol
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Log it in Exercises as STRENGTH TRAINING, not as CARDIO. The STRENGTH TRAINING is underneath CARDIO in Exercise.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe calestinics?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be a thread kinda like Survivor.

We all vote off someone we don't like on MFP and make them 'walk the plank' instead of voting them off the island.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options

We should all do planks in random public places and post where we did one... Pictures would be good, too.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

drunk-planking-meme-generator-drunk-planking-you-re-doing-it-right-aea9da.jpg?1310331208.jpg
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Planking burns virtually no calories; just do them and know they are making you stronger. :)
  • scottlowen
    scottlowen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This question was discussed before on MFP. One of the answers: Sun 12/23/12 07:38 PM
    A perfectly performed plank - held for 60 seconds - will burn between 15 and 20 calories (according to Wii Fit Plus). I also found that you will burn about 221 calories in an hour based on a body weight of 150 pounds.

I am not sure how accurate it is, but it might help you record something.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This question was discussed before on MFP. One of the answers: Sun 12/23/12 07:38 PM
    A perfectly performed plank - held for 60 seconds - will burn between 15 and 20 calories (according to Wii Fit Plus). I also found that you will burn about 221 calories in an hour based on a body weight of 150 pounds.

Anybody holding a plank for an hour shouldn't give two shucks about how many calories they are burning.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be a thread kinda like Survivor.

We all vote off someone we don't like on MFP and make them 'walk the plank' instead of voting them off the island.

That be my kinda planking.
  • JY95
    JY95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If a plank help for 1 minute burns 15-20 calories, yet held for 60 mins is 221 calories? I think you need to recheck your math. As someone else mentioned, you are not burning many calories, but you are increasing core strength, which is always good.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Anybody holding a plank for an hour shouldn't give two shucks about how many calories they are burning.

Ahaha, my thoughts exactly!
  • The plank (also called a front hold, hover, or abdominal bridge) is an isometric core strength exercise that involves maintaining a difficult position for extended periods of time. The most common plank is the front plank which is held in a push-up position with the body's weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes.

Many variations exist such as the side plank and the reverse plank.[1][2] The plank is commonly practiced in pilates and yoga, and by those training for boxing and other sports.[3][4][5][6]

The plank strengthens the abdominals, back, and shoulders. Muscles involved in the front plank include:

Primary muscles: erector spinae, rectus abdominis (abs), and transverse abdominus.[7]
    Secondary muscles (synergists/segmental stabilizers): trapezius (traps), rhomboids, rotator cuff, the anterior, medial, and posterior deltoid muscles (delts), pectorals (pecs), serratus anterior, gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and gastrocnemius.[7]

A side plank

Muscles involved in the side plank include:

Primary: transverse abdominus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles (abductors), the adductor muscles of the hip, and the external and internal obliques.[8]
    Secondary: gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and hamstrings.[8]

The current world record (according to Guinness World Records) for the plank position is 3 hours 7 minutes and 15 seconds, set in Newport, Kentucky on 20 April 2013 by George Hood
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The plank (also called a front hold, hover, or abdominal bridge) is an isometric core strength exercise that involves maintaining a difficult position for extended periods of time. The most common plank is the front plank which is held in a push-up position with the body's weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes.

Many variations exist such as the side plank and the reverse plank.[1][2] The plank is commonly practiced in pilates and yoga, and by those training for boxing and other sports.[3][4][5][6]

The plank strengthens the abdominals, back, and shoulders. Muscles involved in the front plank include:

Primary muscles: erector spinae, rectus abdominis (abs), and transverse abdominus.[7]
    Secondary muscles (synergists/segmental stabilizers): trapezius (traps), rhomboids, rotator cuff, the anterior, medial, and posterior deltoid muscles (delts), pectorals (pecs), serratus anterior, gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and gastrocnemius.[7]

A side plank

Muscles involved in the side plank include:

Primary: transverse abdominus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles (abductors), the adductor muscles of the hip, and the external and internal obliques.[8]
    Secondary: gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and hamstrings.[8]

The current world record (according to Guinness World Records) for the plank position is 3 hours 7 minutes and 15 seconds, set in Newport, Kentucky on 20 April 2013 by George Hood
    Great first post. Any other old threads needing a copy and paste?
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

drunk-planking-meme-generator-drunk-planking-you-re-doing-it-right-aea9da.jpg?1310331208.jpg
    OMG I love this!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Good to to see glutes in there and not hip flexors.... wtf?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Holy hell - I want to meet the person who can hold a plank for an hour.

But then I wonder why would you want to just plank for an hour? I'm not sure if I'm impressed or just think that person is weird.