Multi-Vitamins

Options
How does everybody feel about taking multi vitamins? I know that ideally, you should get vitamins & nutrients from food, but sometimes, that is not possible. I am now taking One A Day men's formula just so that my body has all of it's essential vitamins & nutrients. I hope that it will enable my body to be at it's best, and my metabolism to be at its best. I also have switched to drinking lots of water, and getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I hope these changes are enough to jumpstart my diet and weight loss.

I also, had an old expired bottle of GNC Mega Men's 'Metabolism'. I was thinking of trying another bottle. So how does everybody feel about this, and any brands or types you can suggest? Thanks

Replies

• hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch on the multi-vitamin thing. :)

As far as that GNC Metabolism, I never recommend any of those energy pills to anyone. They're just green tea extract and caffeine. This product seems to be that plus a men's multi-vitamin. People can become addicted to them, it happened to a friend of mine. She attributed her weight loss to these pills and that just made it worse. Will you want to buy and use this product for the rest of your life? If the answer is no, then I wouldn't bother.

Eat regularly, keep that water throughout the day, and exercise. No pill is going to improve your metabolism as good as those can.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think taking a multi vitamin is a good idea. It will help cover any thing you lack in your everyday eating. I take one a day women's and I'm glad I do. As far as the other goes, I think most of that stuff is hog wash. Eat right,exercise and drink plenty of water
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I take them. Rainbow Light One-a-Day Womens, plus an iron supplement because I get anemic easily. I feel they can't hurt and probably help overall, so why not.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think taking a multi vitamin is a good idea. It will help cover any thing you lack in your everyday eating. I take one a day women's and I'm glad I do. As far as the other goes, I think most of that stuff is hog wash. Eat right,exercise and drink plenty of water

This. I also take fish oil, magnisum, vitamin D in the winter, and calcium with D. What can it hurt?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the gnc metabolism and energy multivitamin for the past year, I really just take it as a multivitamin since I have no idea if it's doing anything else. I just stock up when they have their bogo deals
  • sassycupcakecutie
    Options
    I take one a day womens multi-vitamins!
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum Chewable Multivitamin. I think of it as insurance, in case I'm not eating a well balance diet. Can't really hurt, might help, doesn't cost much.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't like the logic about taking multivitamins on the premise that vitamins are healthy and therefore it can't hurt. If you really care you need to look at what you're getting out of your diet and make sure to add those values on top of your multivitamin. It's not as difficult as some people think to exceed the daily tolerable upper levels on some of these vitamins, especially the fat-soluble ones that sit in your system much longer than water-soluble.

If you insist on taking a multivitamin, it is my belief that you should be paying attention to your intake of vitamins that have known toxicity.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    How does everybody feel about taking multi vitamins? I know that ideally, you should get vitamins & nutrients from food, but sometimes, that is not possible. I am now taking One A Day men's formula just so that my body has all of it's essential vitamins & nutrients. I hope that it will enable my body to be at it's best, and my metabolism to be at its best. I also have switched to drinking lots of water, and getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I hope these changes are enough to jumpstart my diet and weight loss.

I also, had an old expired bottle of GNC Mega Men's 'Metabolism'. I was thinking of trying another bottle. So how does everybody feel about this, and any brands or types you can suggest? Thanks

Why is it not possible sometimes? Most times people don't actually take what they are deficient in, dietetics and nutrition are a science not something that anyone can do accurately. The supplement I recommend most often to nutrition clients is high strength fish oils not a multi because so few people eat oily fish. Quite aside from the lack of research supporting benefits here in the UK it's not the norm to take a multi yet we are not any more deficient nor less healthy than US citizens.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This. I also take fish oil, magnisum, vitamin D in the winter, and calcium with D. What can it hurt?

Since nutrients work synergistically and in opposition randomly supplementing can set up or worsen imbalances, furthermore some micronutrients are toxic in higher doses so actually yes it can hurt. A good supplement regime is tailored to the individual and their diet by a health professional.
  • madmortigan1
    Options
    Hi,

I believe now a days that it's getting more essential to have a multivitamin in your daily life.
    On of the main reasons is that the farms, through convenience and marketing, the food is going through irradiation, chemical preservation, hormones injection, heating and treating. So already when we get the food, it lost some of its properties. An example of the matter, eating cow’s meat today we actually get only 60% of the nutrients than 15 years ago.

So we do need the extra kick for our body to have the means to deal with the surrounding environment, to have the energy to deal with what we through at it, otherwise it will use resources that are available by prioritizing what is more important and that when things can go sour.

Think about it this way, lets take magnesium for example. Our body needs calcium to contract the muscles in the body but we need magnesium to release the muscle. If you do not have enough magnesium in your system then your body won't have all the means to release the muscles and you end tight.