Why am I not losing weight? :(

Options

Replies

• PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    99% likely that you are not eating enough.

The best way to get the answers to your questions is to read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and re-read it and then re-read it. Get it engrained into your system so you know what to do.
    This is an excellent post. re-reading now.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've got my calories set to 1200, my goal -2lbs/week, I walk even if just for a short distance daily, Roller skate once a week and keep my calories in check! I'm hardly seeing any movement! My last weight loss was a month ago now :(

Walking for a short distance and roller skating weekly is not going to make any difference - you are sedentary unless you hit the equivalent of about 6000 steps every day which is two to three miles. Losing two pounds a week means cutting 1000 calories a day, it's completely unrealistic for someone who is not at least obese or for most sedentary people. Net above your basal metabolic rate, do some proper exercise, be sure you are eating the recommended servings from ALL the food groups - enough fruits, veggies, oily fish, dairy etc.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the acronym, it stands for heart rate monitor. You don't absolutely need one but it is an excellent way to see if you're logging calories burned correctly. All of these tools help but when you run into a wall its really helpful to stand by and look at your calories in and calories out and see if they make sense.

Also, I highly recommend this thread and the discussion board on which its posted: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Looking at your profile, you also don't have that much weight to lose so you may want to just go for 1 pound per week.
    Thank you! I actually have a Garmin running watch for exactly this reason, I just havent used it yet! I'll give that a shot and see if I'm burning as much as I think I am.

And eating more? Like go by the BMR instead of MFP?

The eating more thing scares me as a too quick to make recommendation and I'm really not an expert. Go to this thread and post there with the information requested. These folks are very knowledgeable and helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817167-asking-questions-about-your-intake-providing-info
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've got my calories set to 1200, my goal -2lbs/week, I walk even if just for a short distance daily, Roller skate once a week and keep my calories in check! I'm hardly seeing any movement! My last weight loss was a month ago now :(

Walking for a short distance and roller skating weekly is not going to make any difference - you are sedentary unless you hit the equivalent of about 6000 steps every day which is two to three miles. Losing two pounds a week means cutting 1000 calories a day, it's completely unrealistic for someone who is not at least obese or for most sedentary people. Net above your basal metabolic rate, do some proper exercise, be sure you are eating the recommended servings from ALL the food groups - enough fruits, veggies, oily fish, dairy etc.

As far as I understand it, although working out helps move everything along, as long as you are ingesting less calories than you are burning, you should be losing weight. Correct?
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose 10 lbs. I LOVE 30DS!! I'm starting level 3 tomorrow.I'm reading about the Body Revolution now.. :)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more and work out a little more if you can
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a person so close to their goal should be trying to only lose one pound per week. You need to eat more and not be in such a rush to reach your goal.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Well, it could be a variety of reasons. I agree with everyone else, up your calories since you are exercising. I think you'd be safe in the 1500 range at least. You know, fuel in.. fuel out.

I checked out your diary. So, add Sugar to track. Some may not agree with what I'm about to say. But I promise I wouldn't say it, if I didn't have any backing. Track your sugar. I've noticed when I'm over on sugar, my weight loss slows down even though I stay within my calorie limit.

I have a dear friend that I told the very same thing to. She was on track with her calories and exercising every day.. but she was not losing weight. I told her to watch her sugar intake. I edited the settings of her diary and she kept a close watch on her sugar as well as stayed within her calorie range. Within 2 weeks she dropped about 10 pounds.... and she's not a big girl by any means.

The easiest way to up your calories would be in the morning. Egg whites, wheat toast... Sugar Free Oatmeal (Great value brand, 100 cals a packet with water). Etc. :happy:

I know it's frustrating, but don't give up. Whatever you do... Keep on eating healthy and exercising. It'll come off eventually! It has to. :wink:
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Try eating more.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I completly understand...I lost 35 pounds but have not lost in over a month. MFP changed my calories to 1200 and it seems to not helped. I havent lost since. I am going to start with a trainer this week, so I will see what she says. I am thinking about 1500 is better.
    I workout about 5 days a week and watch my calories most days....so it is tough!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Change it to 1lb per week! You are not eating enough!
  • raynavee
    Options
    You are correct. As long as you consume 500 calories a day under your BMR, you will lose 1 lb per week. What's more than likely happening, is that you're eating too few calories, which is putting your body into "starvation mode". Try increasing your calorie intake slowly until you start losing weight again. Remember, if you do exercise, you need to consume the amount of calories you burnt so that you don't go too far under your TDEE.
  • Watamollabeach
    Options
    I think you need to rollerskate at least three to four times a week, not just once a week, and you should try and work in some interval training - ie, for every 500 metres at average speed, you should do 300 metres at absolutely top speed to really raise your heart rate. Walking alone, unless its true sustained power walking for over 30 minutes, isn't sufficient to generate the increased heart rate you need to generate fat burning.
  • MissDarlaDoll12
    MissDarlaDoll12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. I was doing Jilian's ripped in 30 and lost 4 lbs the 1st week. Then, I was discouraged because the next 2 wks I lost nothing and gained 2 lbs.

I changed up the exercise to walking at least an hour and 15 min of strength/lifting lite weights. I upped my protein, veggies, and water and lowered the white stuff(sugar, bread, rice, etc), most importantly nothing salty, minimal processed food. I felt like I had to trick my body into losing, almost like it was too comfortable with my routine.

Im losing again this week, so far only 1 lbs. At least the scale is moving again. I tried to tell myself I gained muscle except I believe I was just eating too much salt and not sweating enough. Even just walking 4 miles one time a wk and 1-2 miles the other 2 times/wk allowed me to eat and not feel deprived and still lose a little. This is my 3 rd time with MFP and Im gonna keep at it...I quit losing quite often and I have learned to just change the activities and foods until I figure out the reason my body is hanging on to the weight and sometimes it is because youre not eating enough. Or not getting a sweat while working out, hence the HRM. Dont get discouraged, keep at it.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Eat more, exercise more. I'm on 1500/day, that's my TDEE minus 20% and much easier to maintain.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It looks like you skip meals a lot and eat a lot of snacks made up of "wasted calories" (foods that lack nutritional value). My advice is to eat regular meals every day to keep your metabolism going -- and make those meals include veggies, meat, whole grains, dairy, fruits, seeds/nuts, beans (all the nutritious stuff). It seems like everyone on here is telling you to eat more, and I agree, but eat more healthy foods, don't replace meals with drinks.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1. You're not eating enough
    2. if you're not being honest or logging everything you eat, it's not going to help.
    3. switch up your routine every so often, your body gets used to exercises and it stops taking a lot of effort to complete them if you're doing the same thing everyday. maybe try interval running/ellipticals/ walking faster
    4. maybe get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap - they are the most accurate.
    5. it's simple, eat healthy/clean and challenge yourself exercising and the rest will take care of itrself :)

:)
  • raynavee
    Options
    It looks like you skip meals a lot and eat a lot of snacks made up of "wasted calories" (foods that lack nutritional value). My advice is to eat regular meals every day to keep your metabolism going -- and make those meals include veggies, meat, whole grains, dairy, fruits, seeds/nuts, beans (all the nutritious stuff). It seems like everyone on here is telling you to eat more, and I agree, but eat more healthy foods, don't replace meals with drinks.

I back this post 100%. Just a little add-to, your biggest meal should ALWAYS be your breakfast. Breakfast jump starts your metabolism, if you skip it or don't eat enough, you're cheating yourself. Make sure it's healthy, though... 100% whole wheat cereals, eggs, veggies, nuts... etc. One of my favorite weight loss saying is "Don't drink your calories"! Keep any liquids to a minimum that are more than 5 calories per serving (this includes fruit juices...). You're also not consuming enough water by what your diary shows.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You are correct. As long as you consume 500 calories a day under your BMR, you will lose 1 lb per week. What's more than likely happening, is that you're eating too few calories, which is putting your body into "starvation mode". Try increasing your calorie intake slowly until you start losing weight again. Remember, if you do exercise, you need to consume the amount of calories you burnt so that you don't go too far under your TDEE.

You mean 500 calories under TDEE, not BMR.
  • natalie2603
    natalie2603 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

As far as I understand it, although working out helps move everything along, as long as you are ingesting less calories than you are burning, you should be losing weight. Correct?

Even if you are not exercising at all on a diet of 1200 calories you should be losing weight.
    One of two options here - you are not getting enough protein and fat into your diet. Fat is crucial for losing weight as it assists in regulating your hormones. Protein is crucial to weight loss also.

Option two - go to the Dr and have a blood test, you could potentially have a thyroid problem? Sorry