depressed at the grocery store

Options
Went shopping with my hubby today (just started my diet 3 days ago) and he wanted frozen meals, canned gravy, soups, and regular yogurt, etc. I just wanted to cry BC I didn't know what to buy for this diet!!! I know I want healthy snacks, fruit, veggies, and low fat cream cheese, etc but he was no help. Anyone else running into this? Any ideas what to buy that's cheap enough to?

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    When I first started, I first found healthy recipes I wanted to make, mostly from skinnytaste.com, and then bought the ingredients. After 6 months of mfp, how I shop and what I keep in my pantry and fridge is totally different than before, didn't happen overnight though, gradual lifestyle changes.
  • JM48124
    JM48124 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First, I don't think that eating healthy is inexpensive. Beyond that, you should educate yourself on food...I did a lot of reading on what to eat and at which time in my day to eat certain things. Obviously fruit and veggies are a must, early on for me I made a goal to eat one serving of veggies and one fruit a day which quickly turned into more of each. Now it's second nature for those things. Here are some staples of mine (I am by no means saying these are all great):
    Greek yogurt...better than regular in my opinion
    Oatmeal
    Apples
    Almonds
    Carrots
    Popcorn (the minimal calories bags)
    Cottage cheese
    Ground turkey (make burger...can't tell the difference)
    Pork loin
    Chicken, chicken, chicken.

The Internet is overloaded with information, use it.
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I shop and what I keep in my pantry and fridge is totally different than before, didn't happen overnight though, gradual lifestyle changes.

This.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Some of my staples are:
    *Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (use on salad, by itself for dinner with some spices on it, in a wrap)
    *Flatouts (like a huge tortilla, but only 90 cals vs. about 250 for a large tortilla)
    *Lean ground turkey (goes on sale BOGO pretty freuquently - they freeze well): grill up turkey patties with chopped onion and bell pepper mixed in. You can keep 4-5 patties in a tupperware for about 5 days.
    *Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt: Only 80 cals per serving- the LEAST calories I've found for a greek yogurt (and it's delish!)
    *Shiritaki noodles: Only 20 cals per 2oz. serving vs. 200 cals per 2oz. serving of regular pasta. THIS IS MY #1 FAVORITE these days! Search "shiritaki noodles" here on the forums... you'll be amazed. Use in place of pasta, in stirfrys, etc.
    *Mixed greens/spinach: yu can make a ton of different salads with all the veggies, etc. Use salsa or some AWESOME low cal Trader Joe's dressings (Champagne Pear Vinaigrette, Cilantro dressing, or use Salsa!!)
    *Fresh veggies, veggies, veggies! Almost no calories, lots of food for little (calorie) cost
    *More veggies- for your stirfrys, toss broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, onions, beans - all in with those shiritaki noodles - so good!
    *WATER, water, water.... can;t say it enough- drink tons of water. Keeps you feeling full, good for the body! 'nuff said!

Anyhow- those are some of my favorite, go-to items. I eat kind of boring (same things almost every day during the week!) but when you find stuff that is good, and works for you, and you know you can make and that you like... why change it? The less food choices you have to make, the less likely you are to make BAD ones.

Good luck!!
  • vicarella13
    Options
    Went shopping with my hubby today (just started my diet 3 days ago) and he wanted frozen meals, canned gravy, soups, and regular yogurt, etc. I just wanted to cry BC I didn't know what to buy for this diet!!! I know I want healthy snacks, fruit, veggies, and low fat cream cheese, etc but he was no help. Anyone else running into this? Any ideas what to buy that's cheap enough to?

I say just stick with real food stay away from processed it will make you fat and sabotage your diet (i.e. all the stuff your husband wants). A good tip is to shop on the perimeter of the grocery store. All the other aisles will get you in to trouble. I'm a a big fan of skinny taste as someone mentioned. Next time maybe leave the husband at home and take a list with you when you shop preferably not when you are hungry :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Something you can do is make meals that your husband would love to eat too.

Tacos -I cook these with turkey ground meat and you can't tell the difference with the taco seasoning. I stay away from cheese and sour cream but load with lettuce and salsa.

Burgers - contrary to what people, a big (lean) cheese burger is a great source of protein. I can't do turkey burgers but find the leanest beef you can, load with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions. I only use mustard as a condiment. Instead of fries or beans as a side, make a huge salad.

Fajitas - Load up your low cal tortillas with meat, veggies and salsa.

Wings - baked wings make a healthier alternative to deep fried wings or even go boneless breasts to save even more calories.

Stir fry - Cook with your own blend of veggies and lean beef or chicken. Find a good teriyaki sauce recipe and side with brown rice instead of white or fried.

Pizza - Make your own, right down to the crust. Buy a can of tomato sauce add garlic and oregano and slow cook while your get every thing prepared. Add your own amounts of vegetables, a little bit of cheese and maybe only do half the pizza with pepperoni if you want to skip that part.

Anything you can bulk up with vegetables like peppers and onions gives a lot more volume for your calorie buck. I hope you can work some of these ideas into your family dinners and get everyone eating better.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Food timing is a myth.

To the OP don't try to do it all at ounce. Slowly make changes. Start with portion control. Cut out empty calories. Cut back on soda, alcohol, sweets. Add in more fruits and veggies. Buy low fat versions where it makes sense to do so.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Some of my staples are:
    *Flatouts (like a huge tortilla, but only 90 cals vs. about 250 for a large tortilla)

These are GREAT! I get the Flax and Fiber Fold It's from Flat Out---- 90 calories and they are DELICIOUS.

My standard lunch sandwich during workdays when I am home is a Flat Out Fold It with spread with 100 Cal Wholly Guacamole, Turkey and ham lunchmeat and alfalfa sprouts.

DELISH!
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Start out by making small changes and definitely PLAN before going grocery shopping. Look up recipes that you might want to try. Also write down the current foods that you fix and see how you can substitute ingredients with healthier options. Next thing you know it will become second nature.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Anyhow- those are some of my favorite, go-to items. I eat kind of boring (same things almost every day during the week!) but when you find stuff that is good, and works for you, and you know you can make and that you like... why change it? The less food choices you have to make, the less likely you are to make BAD ones.

Good luck!!

This, This, This.

I always have stuff I can make in just a minute. Sandwich stuff is a staple because I don't want to be able to talk myself into "fast food will just be faster." Being impatient was one of the first things I had to change because I was eating junk every day after work. Now, I tell myself, I spent all that money on groceries, surely I can make a sandwich in less time it would take to wait in the drive thru.

I always have snacks like popcorn and chips with salsa to fall back on if I don't want to make anything. Having easy access is the first step. Wouldn't you snack on those fruits or vegetables if they were already washed, cut and prepared? Just like if there are cookies or ice cream, you grab and eat it.

I know you can't change someone else's diet and exercise, but if you make everything as easy as possible, it'll help YOU be able to resist the "quick fix."
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and just want to add one more thing. Don't bring hubby when shopping! It will save you a lot of stress! Then you can make the meals you both enjoy but with healthy and lower calorie ingredients.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Food timing is a myth.

To the OP don't try to do it all at ounce. Slowly make changes. Start with portion control. Cut out empty calories. Cut back on soda, alcohol, sweets. Add in more fruits and veggies. Buy low fat versions where it makes sense to do so.

This. Totally this. I lost 20 lbs just doing this and walking when I could. It gets easier too. Your tastes will start to change over time and a year from now you'll look back and be amazed at your changes.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Is your hubby on board with your weight loss plan. This is work to make these changes and you have the right to expect everyone in your family to support you. I have two signs in my kitchen : "if momma ain 't happy ain't nobody happy " and "you get two choices for dinner take it or leave it." Buy all the groceries you need to stick to your plan. What you will be cooking and having in he house is good for everyone.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    A gal on here told me to shope the outside circle of the store for almost everything. The outside circle is where they keep fresh things that need the most refridgeration. Fresh fruit, veggies, lean meats if you eat meat, etc.

As for yogurt, yoplait light tases great and is low in calories so that may be a compromise. I personally eat greek yogurt. Fage and Chobani are good :)

Buy celery, carrots, broccoli and come home and cut them up into servings sizes and putthem in a bag. That way when you are on the go all you need to do is grab a bag of veggies and you wont be tempted to get fast food out of conveinience.

Bagel this are also cool. They are like normal bagels but thin crust. We use those for quick breakfasts/snaks. You can even prep them the night before and bag them for work/commute.

Fajitas are a great option. load them with veggies! it is a good way to sneak veggies into dinner. Bright colored peppers are really high in vitamins.

Whole wheat noodles instead of regular are a good substitution and they tastes the same to me. I eat a lot of pasta tho because ai Am a vegetarian.

I also drink almond milk because it doesnt make me sick and it has more protein than regular milk.

Raw almonds are a good snack.

Skinny cow cheese spread comes in 35 calorie wedges for crackers or celery or whatever you want it for (even sandwich spread)

I like making veggy soup for the week. I put every veggy i have ina pot and cook it up and then munch it all week.

Veggy chili is good for that too. high protein low fat.

Best of luck!
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    Don't try to change everything at once, it is HARD :)

Try to make healthier selections, but really, the first thing you need to get an understanding of is portion size. If you don't know how much you're eating, logging won't help because it won't be accurate. I bought a cheap food scale and used all my measuring cups for the first couple months just figuring out what real portions were. It was a big eye opener. As I got that under control, I started making better choices to use my calorie "budget" on. I still use both of these tools all the time (sometimes I eyeball a portion, but I find it easier to just use the measuring cup or the scale to be more accurate - the only one I'm cheating is me if I'm wrong :)

Like others have said, it doesn't happen over night. Stick with it and it works :)
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I like making veggy soup for the week. I put every veggy i have ina pot and cook it up and then munch it all week.

Veggy chili is good for that too. high protein low fat.

Best of luck!

This is good too. You can make big batches of food and freeze them in individual servings. Kind of like your own frozen meals, but a heck of a lot tastier.

I made a pot of chili this week. As she said above, soups are good for that too. You can make breakfast tortillas with just some eggs, bacon and diced peppers and onions. Make enough for the week and freeze them, reheat on high for just 1 minute. It takes time, effort and planning but the rewards you reap are completely worth it.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I shop early in the day at Kroger. I buy my meat that has been marker down example chicken hamburger meat. I also buy healthy life bread 35 calories a slice at kroger I think Marsh has it. I also buyTumaro wraps about 3.40 for 10. I buy krger carbmaster yogurt about 40 cents each. I then buy the sugar free jello in individual cups. I also make chilli from pinto beans from scratch and add my own seasoning to taste. I also buy cannned vegetables at kroger that have no salt added corn french style green beans about 10 mg of salt for a serving about 69 cents a can. My fresh vegetables and fruit I buy at aldi's or wherever it is on sale at.. Hope this help you. Have a great week.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't think of this as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change. Ergo, do it slowly. When I started, I ate the same things I was eating before but just less of it. I later decided that I could not eat enough of the processed food to feel full and stay under my calorie goals so I cut out most (but not all) processed food. I used to eat a lot of canned soup, frozen dinners and packaged foods. Now I eat much less. I have a husband who is not interested in cutting out anything except sodium. I have a 90 year old mother who lives with us and needs a lot of fat/calories and only likes traditional meat and potatoes meals. I have to cook for both of them and still eat myself, so I lighten up things where I can. I eat less and I eat my larger meals at breakfast and lunch where I can control all of the ingredients. Gradual changes is the key. Good luck.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Fat free plain yogurt. I add fresh or frozen fruit, sometimes honey if I have enough calories. A tablespoon of canned pumpkin, splenda brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Gingersnap crumbs. Nilla wafer crumbs and bananas.

Fiber one cereal and almond milk. Oatmeal. Boneless skinless chicken breast on sale to crock and shred-super chep when you realize you only need 3-4 oz. of it for lunch and then add veg-fresh or frozen and a grain. I eat lots of spinach and some quionoa or brown rice or other whole grain plus 3 oz of chicken and ff italian dressing for breakfast (same time as most folks have lunch)

Dried beans, lentils, brown rice.

Veg and fruits that are in season. If not in season, then frozen works. We had strawberries and cool whip light and jello ff/sf pudding for dessert last night. Fresh berries were $3.98/lb and frozen were $2.48-we got the frozen kind.

There are lots and lots of choices, depending on what you like. If your hubby doesn't want to eat the same foods, then you can eat what you need for your plan and he can eat what he wants. Robert doesn't always eat the same food I do, especially for snacks and non-dinner meals.

Don't panic at first-give yourself a chance to figure it out. eatingwell.com has great recipes that are fairly healthy and lots of ways to cook different things. It's a good place to start. I usually buy whatever is on sale super cheap and then build the menu around that-before I go to the grocery store so I can buy what I need and whatever is a good deal and it's cheaper in the long run that way for me.

You'll figurwe it all out-but not necessarily the first week or even month. It's a lifelong project.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I'm on week three of Eating Well.com's 28 day diet. You can choose between a 1,200, 1,500, and 1,800 calories a day meal plan. They give you different options sometimes for lunch/dinner and 99% of it has been freaking amazing. You're making the majority from scratch, so it is cooking intensive; however, I find that if I make dinner when I get home, relax for an hour or two afterwards, before making breakfast and lunch for the next day it's not overwhelming.

I will say that your start up in expensive, but the cost goes down each month. Most of the dinners are 4 - 6 six servings, so I measure out and food saver individual portions for later. I have about 2 months worth of dinners saved in the freezer.