Should I add cardio?

Options
Trying to lose fat/weight. Eating at a 15% cut right now, my diet has a lot of protein like chicken, fish, eggs and nuts, along with fruits and vegetables and a lot of water. I do weights for 30 minutes 2 - 3x a week along with a couple of short pilate workouts (mostly for legs since I'm a pear shape with a bit of cellulite).

My job keeps me active and running around a lot and sometimes I have to walk 1/2 mile to and/or from the bus stop to my work a few times a week. Will that count as my cardio or should I start doing rope jumping or something with my workout?

I currently eat about 1650 calorie a day, I weigh 143 pounds and I'm 5'3" and 19 years old.

Replies

• ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would count the walking 1/2 mile as cardio, but would also make it count by bringing shoes if necessary and keeping up a good, brisk pace. Hope this helps!
  • mariku_king
    Options
    I would count the walking 1/2 mile as cardio, but would also make it count by bringing shoes if necessary and keeping up a good, brisk pace. Hope this helps!

I walk at a fast pace, it's not like a casual stroll or anything! :)

ETA: But I usually only have to do that once or twice a week. Most of the time I get a ride so I don't have to walk to work.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    Bump?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you have the time you can add another 2 days of walking. Doing 1 interval sprint session a week is also good.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    If you have the time you can add another 2 days of walking. Doing 1 interval sprint session a week is also good.

I work a lot and I'm usually tired but I can try, maybe 30 minutes 1 - 2 times a week?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Yeh whatever you can do. Its about keeping active and consistency with exercise.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not necessary for fat loss - having a deficit from anything is all that matters. I've been keeping to my usual five day a week lifting routine and eating 250 calories below 2900 (my actual TDEE) and my fat mass has been steadily decreasing since I started two months ago.
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight program like? It might be worthwhile seeing if your current program is as effective as it could be- a really good strength program is more effective than adding cardio will be for fat loss, especially if your job already keeps you active. Since you're short on time and energy, maximizing the time you spend is really important. So what's your program now?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    No cardio is not necessary for weight loss but good as an extra.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose fat/weight. Eating at a 15% cut right now, my diet has a lot of protein like chicken, fish, eggs and nuts, along with fruits and vegetables and a lot of water. I do weights for 30 minutes 2 - 3x a week along with a couple of short pilate workouts (mostly for legs since I'm a pear shape with a bit of cellulite).

My job keeps me active and running around a lot and sometimes I have to walk 1/2 mile to and/or from the bus stop to my work a few times a week. Will that count as my cardio or should I start doing rope jumping or something with my workout?

I currently eat about 1650 calorie a day, I weigh 143 pounds and I'm 5'3" and 19 years old.

That sort of walking is an activity of daily living not formal exercise nor cardio - you should be taking 10,000 steps every day for health which is several miles. Less than about 6000 steps classes as sedentary.
  • jl_munoz
    jl_munoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From what you wrote, I'd say extra cardio is unnecessary at this point. You should probably hold off on adding that cardio until you hit a plateau in your progress...