Hit Plateau...

Options
I think I hit that plateau everyone talks about. I haven't lost any weight in a few weeks now, even though I continue to workout and watch what I eat. What can I do to stay motivated during this time?? I know I need to stick with it, but is there anything I can do to get this weight loss rolling again? I can feel myself starting to slack a little in watching everything I eat, so I need something to help me keep on track...Plus we've been camping and it seems nothing healthy comes on those trips, we just take cheap food like hot dogs....Any suggestions would be appreciated :happy:

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    What about taking whole grain bread for sandwiches? Or rice cakes, nuts, fresh fruit, etc... Have you tried doing interval walking or whatever you do for exercise? Normal for a few minutes, then high energy for a few minutes, then back to normal for a few minutes. Just a thought.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    A few things I've read that have worked for people here in the past few months:

1) Change up your exercise routine, or decrease a little if you're overdoing it.
    2) Increase your calories a bit. Are you eating what MFP suggests PLUS what you burn off exercising? If not, consider trying it for a few weeks.
    3) Eat more natural foods, less processed.

Good news is, seems like almost everyone goes through this, and if they stick with it the scale eventually starts moving again. Good luck!
  • lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    change up your routine. your body is getting used to this routine that you have set for yourself, so now you need to fool it by changing it up!
    i found if i stuck to a routine for a long time i stopped losing weight, so i switch back and forth each week between different types of exerices...i even indulge a LITTLE each week to help mix up my diet
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    can you explain how you changed it up? Like different cardio excercises?
  • exercisediva
    Options
    When i hit a plateau, my trainer/coach recommended that I eat more. Your body has gotten used to your routine and amount of calories you eat daily.

Shock your body with a different workout routine and also eat more. It may be time to re-evaluate your diet.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Do you incorporate weight training with your workout routine? The more muscle you have the more calories you burn, even at rest. Do you eat a high protein diet? Are you eating every 2-3 hrs? Are you drinking enough water? Try using H.I.I.T when doing cardio.
    High Intensity Interval Training --- follow this link to lots of great articles about it
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT

Are you keeping track of your measurements. The scale didn't move for me for 2 months but I dropped 2 pants sizes! That kept me motivated!
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me for the past 3-4 weeks. I keep at it, still nothing.

I'd be very interested to try other suggestions. Basically, the most common thing I've heard is to keep at it and eventually my body will catch up.

I do the old Power 90 DVDs and love them because of the "switch up" that it does. I have strength training with weights one day and cardio/abs the next. That alone should be enough to confuse my body, so says the testimonials. I don't know what else to do and am limited due to a recent fracture/surgery in my left wrist. I am doing a 3lb weight in that hand and a 6lb weight in my right!! Whatever it takes!!
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    Right there with you.

But I've found that, as my plateau continues, I've relaxed about my eating more; I've lost the vigilance I had for the first 19 pounds. For example, I realized today that I'd been licking the jelly off the knife when I make my kids' pb&J sandwiches -- something I never did at the beginning of this. Same with a little glass of wine here, some hershey's kisses there.

Then on The Biggest Loser last night, Bob was asked a question about the last 5 pounds, how to get them off. His answer: be strict and vigilant about what you eat.

So, I'm going to redouble my efforts to stay aware of what goes into my mouth. Dig deep and find the discipline. Because I ran 4 miles today, did sit ups, and do the Shred on other days, so my exercise routine's already mixed up a bit. I really think I'm stalled because i've gone unconscious again, mindlessly eating.
  • Anita1271
    Anita1271 Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I will keep at it. I already started Level 2 on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, just last week, which I do 3 days a week. And strength training 3 days a week. And if the weather permits I go for a little over 2 mile walk at lunch. Maybe it's what I'm eating, and I should be more strict. I do track my food with MFP on the weekdays, but can't on the weekends, because I don't have access to a computer. And I am staying in the calorie range, and normally drink 2 + quarts of water everyday. I do eat every 2-3 hrs too, just small little snacks. This is really the first time, I have stuck to working out and getting healthy too! Which I am proud of myself for, I just don't want to get discouraged, during this time.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    oh my god I so do that as well.