Where am I failing in my weightloss journey?

Options
So, I lost 13 pounds last year, only to find that this year, since I started drinking more water, I have gained it back. Almost entirely back. Over a month ago, I gave up soda, and took up drinking water in it's replacement. I heard that I would gain water weight and everything but... 7 pounds worth of it? Now that just doesn't seem to make sense.

Also last year I wasn't eating enough, although I was eating more than before, I wasn't eating a healthy amount. I would forget to eat and just wasn't happy with eating all together. Seemed gross. Well in the last four months, I have been eating more, while I still occasionally forget meals, I have been trying to eat breakfast before work and hit the road, eat a lunch, and eat dinner. Three whole square meals a day. And my water intake has jumped.

Seeing as I also work standing on my feet all day, almost entirely full time, I assumed I was doing fine. Apparently I am completely wrong.

So help me out.

5'7, currently the scale says 149, which I can hardly believe! A month ago it said 142.

Guys, I have college coming up in a couple of months, and I really don't want to be this size. I want to get down to my old comfort level of at least 132. Help? What do you suggest?

Replies

• alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    why don't you share your food diary to start with. At least people can see what you eat and this will be a good starting point.
  • christopher121890
    Options
    I would try some cardio. This would help flush your system and lose any bloated water weight. Along with that just make sure your calories are right. Even if you're eating one meal a day. if that meal is 3000 calories you will gain weight
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know you are trying but skipping meals is not good. Also, just standing on your feet all day isn't really exercise, that should be accounted for in your activity level so you still need to exercise.
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    I don't use the food diary. I can start, but I haven't really in the past either.

I'm not quite sure how much on average, that I consume in calories but I try to avoid anything that says over 400 calories a serving. And I quite rarely eat fast food, as I am broke, and have a perfectly good kitchen.

Yeah I have my standing all day in my activity level. My workout is purely workout stuff. Which I just finished a really fun 10 minute "fat buster" video. My thighs are killing!!
  • Niharika_sri
    Niharika_sri Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    5 meals a day at least.. Keep some healthy snacks ready n have them on the go! N cardio, to lose the water weight . Keep a watch on ur sodium content, can make u bloat up
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    I would love to do some cardio, and here's a terrible but honest excuse, but I live in a state which as of late doesn't believe in visibility. While it invests in humidity and fog, and degrees below freezing. And I already invested a good amount of time looking for a gym in my town and it turns out that we don't even have a Y yet. ):
  • MarlaBo
    Options
    Did you ever try a low-carb way of eating? For me, I turns out the way it's going to work.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/gettingstarted.htm

I tried lots of things but it didn't work out well for my. Lots of peaople sem to have a carb-intolerance.
    I started 3 weeks ago and loose at least 1.5 kilo every week now, I don't miss my bread/potatoes/rice etc. at all and have more energy anyway.
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    That does sound exciting, but it would have to wait until my food budget comes back up next month. Are they any ideas I can put into action now??
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No advice from me here other than that you need to wrap your mind around the fact that controlling your weight is going to be a lifelong process. It sucks. I know. But we're all in the same boat. :angry: You will need to commit to weighing yourself regularly so the weight doesn't creep back on. I know this, because I"ve been there....many times. There are many times when I thought I was eating sensibly and exercising and I weighed myself and was SHOCKED at what I saw. Now I know that I MUST weigh myself regularly...even if I'm afraid of what I'll see.

i don't know if this will make you feel better, but I am your height and your current weight is my GOAL weight. As bad as you think it is, it could get MUCH MUCH worse. Getting older sucks. Good for you for taking control of your weight NOW while you're young and it's 17 pounds, not 117. :angry: I wish myfitnesspal had been around when I was your age. So good luck and I know if you stick to it, you can figure it out.
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    Thanks purple. (:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't use the food diary. I can start, but I haven't really in the past either.

I'm not quite sure how much on average, that I consume in calories but I try to avoid anything that says over 400 calories a serving. And I quite rarely eat fast food, as I am broke, and have a perfectly good kitchen.

Yeah I have my standing all day in my activity level. My workout is purely workout stuff. Which I just finished a really fun 10 minute "fat buster" video. My thighs are killing!!

Try using the food log. Measure all your portions. Watch your sodium. The food log makes it abundantly clear where changes need to be made.