How accurate are the calories burned?

Options
Amylynn
Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
If I use an eliptical machine and it says I burned 320 calories, how many calories do you think I really burned? I was sweatin like crazy too, just to add that in.

Replies

• libra1021
    libra1021 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I've heard the cals burned on the machines is a VERY general estimate. The estimates MFP gave me were closer to what I actually burned but I didn't get a crystal-clear idea of how many I'm burning until I started using a heart rate monitor (HRM).

I'm more inclined to follow my HRM because it's dialed in to me and it's reading my heart and it knows my data (age, height, weight, resting heart rate, etc)

And it just so happens that according to my HRM I'm burning a few more calories than I thought I was when I was relying on the elliptical machines and MFP estimates.

If a HRM isn't an option for you I would probably place more weight on the estimate MFP gives you, or maybe take your MFP number and your machine-reading number, and estimate it somewhere in the middle?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    honestly, i think elliptical machines are the worst for overestimating calories burned. One time it told me I burned 800 calories in an hour. And using a different brand, 750 in an hour. Yeah right. Maybe if I weighed more than I do, but I entered in my weight and I believe it was grossly overestimated since I didn't even feel like I put in a full exertion that day. I don't even use them anymore, but that's a different rant that's not needed here.

Unless you have a heart rate monitor, you can't accurately know for sure how many calories you burn. I think most gym machines and even online calculators overestimate how much you burn. I've heard of them underestimating too, but it really depends on your exertion, your weight, etc. It's why for the exercise I put in to MFP, I don't eat 100% of them, but more like 50-75% depending on my hunger level for the day. I take the amount burned as an estimate and guidance tool and go from there.

I'd say, enter those calories into MFP and if you feel like you want to eat those 100% back to refuel your body, go for it. If you're not seeing any weight progress or it's say 1/2 a pound per week and you would like to see more, cut back on how many of your exercise cals you eat by just a bit. :smile:

Your mileage will vary on this topic probably.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is hared to tell. Did you enter your age, weight, and gender or any of the above? If not it is probably not that accurate at all. Did you enter the time and type of machine on MFP, was it close to the machine? The best way to measure caloric burn would be to wear a heart rate monitor and use that.

On top of that you still have to back out the calories you would have burned anyway if you did not exercise. For example lets say you burn1.5 cals per minute at rest, and that you burned 300 calories in 30 minutes. What you would enter into MFP would be 255 (300-45) the 45 comes from 30 minutes of 1.5 cals per minute that you burn at rest and is included in you MFP caloric intake prior to entering in exercise.
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Last week I was on an elliptical and did not enter weight or age. The machine overestimated by approx. 70 calories compared to the HRM. Yesterday I entered weight and age and the machine display and HRM were within 10 calories. HTH
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MFP always says I burned more calories than the machines at the gym. I always just use what the gym machines tell me since it asks my weight before I begin my workout. Also, on MFP, when I enter in an exercise such as weight training and it give me a calorie count, I always take away like 20 or so. I usually burn about 300 calories in a 1/2 hour on the elliptical and stair stepper and 100 in 15 minutes on the bike at the gym
  • amarti24
    amarti24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really think each person is different.

I did the elipitical the other day and it was pretty close. I NEVER rely on MFP. for me it is way off scale. It gives me an extra 100 calories burned. I rely on my hr monitor.