The JJ Diet

Options

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to mock anything, but every time I've started eating healthy, and cut my calories, I've lost between 5 and 10 lbs in the first week.

Most people lose a lot of water weight when they cut out certain foods.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I hope this works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed how rude people can be.... I just read The Virgin Diet because my Dr recommended going gluten free. I thought JJs elimination diet might help me get started and possibly help me identify other foods that might be a problem. However, I just can't motivate myself to get started.

Any advice? Are you drinking her shakes?

My thoughts are that her shakes will probably make you lighter in the pocketbook.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn & sugar and artificial sweeteners.

It is supposed to help with inflammation, which is one of my reasons for trying it! Why are you trying it? :flowerforyou:

So Atkins with the addition of an egg restriction. Sounds good to me but I would keep the eggs!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not helpful. Isn't that what we're trying to be?

What is not helpful is people promoting fad diets that aren't sustainable for most people. Coming on here saying "she's a doctor so clearly she knows what she is talking about.". Maybe, maybe not, but people would also buy a book by a doctor that says eating only shoelaces was a good diet because people lost weight on it.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've just looked on her website and two of the first things I see are adverts for shakes and meals. She's not a Dr, just a nutritionist who is trying to sell products. I don't think any diet should involve cutting food stuffs out completely, and I just think this is another fad diet which isn't sustainable.

ETA - I also don't agree food intolerance is the cause of weight gain!

I want to disagree with the last sentence. I dropped 20 lbs by eliminating wheat and grains from my diet. I discovered a food intolerance to gluten, and I have the blood work to back that up. My RA factor went from high (23) to 14 (normal level) after three months, at which time I also had lost 20 lbs from eliminating those foods AND moderate exercise. My cholesterol also dropped 40 pts, even though I was still pounding the eggs and bacon.

(I don't follow any fad diets, I just found what works for me)

Fair enough. I doubt most people have gained weight due to food intolerances though, most of us gained weight because of eating too much.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

What is not helpful is people promoting fad diets that aren't sustainable for most people. Coming on here saying "she's a doctor so clearly she knows what she is talking about.". Maybe, maybe not, but people would also buy a book by a doctor that says eating only shoelaces was a good diet because people lost weight on it.

Ooooh!!! Good idea.... Now I just need to invest in shoelace companies. :laugh:
  • Bumbeen
    Options
    I've just looked on her website and two of the first things I see are adverts for shakes and meals. She's not a Dr, just a nutritionist who is trying to sell products. I don't think any diet should involve cutting food stuffs out completely, and I just think this is another fad diet which isn't sustainable.

I want to disagree with the last sentence. I dropped 20 lbs by eliminating wheat and grains from my diet. I discovered a food intolerance to gluten, and I have the blood work to back that up. My RA factor went from high (23) to 14 (normal level) after three months, at which time I also had lost 20 lbs from eliminating those foods AND moderate exercise. My cholesterol also dropped 40 pts, even though I was still pounding the eggs and bacon.

Fair enough. I doubt most people have gained weight due to food intolerances though, most of us gained weight because of eating too much.

Gluten promotes lepton resistance which makes your brain think you have less body fat than you actually do hence giving you a larger appetite than normal. You never see animals in the wild having to count calories because they've become overweight. There are complex biological processes causing us to eat too many calories.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    From the on-line dictionary
    DIET:
    1.what person or animal eats: the food that a person or animal usually consumes
    2.controlled intake of food: a controlled intake of food and drink designed for weight loss, for health or religious reasons, or to control or improve a medical condition
    3.regular intake of something: a continuous or daily experience of, or indulgence in, something other than food

#1 is why I say absolutely everyone is "on a diet".
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No offence, but diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. Can you go for the rest of your life without eating those foods? If you can't sustain this eating plan for the rest of your life, then it's not worth it IMO. But I'm not here to tell you what to do. Your body, your choice. Just make sure you're getting enough protein, fats and carbs from other sources, or vitamin supplements if needed.

As far as I am concerned, absolutely everybody is "on a diet". Calling it a "lifestyle change" is just semantics.

How are we "on a diet" being "on a diet" is restricting yourself, I don't restrict myself, I probably eat more than I ever have done and weigh less than I ever have in my entire adult life. Don't judge me by your standards.

ETA: Never mind, 1200cals or less, you're definitely on a diet!

Pathetic, right? I've been sick. Normally I have a hard time staying under 1500 calories.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'd like to say I'm surprised at the responses here but unfortunately I'm not. What's it to you if a stranger on a message board who did not ask for your opinion wants to cut gluten/soy/eggs or whatever out of their diet? Whether you like eggs or have lost 30 lbs eating nothing but eggs, soy and gluten is beside the point.

Thank you! That was all I was asking for. Encouragement, not what works or doesn't work for others! Thanks very much for your courtesy.
  • VickieMW
    Options
    Good luck. I hope this works for you. :flowerforyou:
    Thanks! :smile:
  • VickieMW
    Options

Gluten promotes lepton resistance which makes your brain think you have less body fat than you actually do hence giving you a larger appetite than normal. You never see animals in the wild having to count calories because they've become overweight. There are complex biological processes causing us to eat too many calories.

Thank you! Most people don't read the whole book and don't understand WHY you drop the 7 foods regardless of the weight loss. I appreciate you words very much! Vickie
  • VickieMW
    Options
    I am starting a group where you need to be invited to join. If you are interested in this diet and a SAFE place to be encouraged and talk to other people on the diet please friend me and I will give you the link.

I won't come back here! Life is too short for rude people. :frown:

I wish everyone the best in what they are trying to help them in their weight loss journey.

For me it was more about getting my body and mind to feel better. This diet is working for me. I have found out that I am gluten intolerant. That was a shock. I don't like it but I hope in 3 months I can try gluten again.

Best of luck! Vickie :flowerforyou:
  • Bumbeen
    Options

Thank you! Most people don't read the whole book and don't understand WHY you drop the 7 foods regardless of the weight loss. I appreciate you words very much! Vickie

I have not read the book but I know all the foods you listed minus the eggs are problematic :). I think you should get some excellent results in reducing inflammation with the decrease of n-6 and grains. My parents both had rheumatoid arthritis and were able to get off their meds by cutting out industrial seed oils and grains.

Edit: you probably will not be able to eat gluten and remain healthy by the way so may just want to plan on eliminating that for good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This is why I have a problem with diets that cut out foods though BECAUSE too many people don't read the whole book. You know how many people deprive themselves of nutrients when cutting out foods that might be just fine for them to eat? If you have allergies or intolerances, fine, but it's not necessary for most people.
  • Julesconan
    Options
    Wow, the bullies are out in force! Everyone who undertakes a "fad" diet, usually will do so after looking into all harmfull side effects and after weighing up the pro's and con's for them personally.
    I am yet to meet someone who cares about themselves enough to go undertake a fad diet, that would had severe risk to their health and well being, It would really defeat the purpose.
    One of the most important systems offered by these "fads" is educating the dieter on the importance of maintennance after completing their programme, and if followed, people can be sucessful, much like I have been following my stint on HCG.
    People are here for support in their current challanges, if you have nothing but negative to offer, then you should comment and offer advice on a forum that you do support, as this kind of rallying and demeaning another will always be unwelcome.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow, the bullies are out in force! Everyone who undertakes a "fad" diet, usually will do so after looking into all harmfull side effects and after weighing up the pro's and con's for them personally.
    I am yet to meet someone who cares about themselves enough to go undertake a fad diet, that would had severe risk to their health and well being, It would really defeat the purpose.
    One of the most important systems offered by these "fads" is educating the dieter on the importance of maintennance after completing their programme, and if followed, people can be sucessful, much like I have been following my stint on HCG.
    People are here for support in their current challanges, if you have nothing but negative to offer, then you should comment and offer advice on a forum that you do support, as this kind of rallying and demeaning another will always be unwelcome.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. That word gets bandied around here so much it belittles the times people actually are bullied.

"Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants."

As many have explained, this is a public forum. If people do not want others to express an opinion then they should start a thread in a closed forum, as has been helpfully suggested by these 'bullies'.
  • Julesconan
    Options

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. That word gets bandied around here so much it belittles the times people actually are bullied.

"Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants."

As many have explained, this is a public forum. If people do not want others to express an opinion then they should start a thread in a closed forum, as has been helpfully suggested by these 'bullies'.
  • Julesconan
    Options
    So in your eyes, over 3 pages of negative comments from a combined force, is somehow NOT classed as using superior strength to influence another?? lol.
    I suggest you re-read your statement, as it has proved my point precisley.