Relapse, HARD

Options
Guys I just stepped on a scaled and scared myself. All the work I did last year has vanished. I have no idea what's happening!!! Yeah I haven't been eating the best, but I also haven't be eating any worse! Actually maybe a bit better. And my weight has gone through the roof! I'm terrified out of my mind, please someone help me!!

I already plan on getting some weights as soon as my tax refund comes back around, but until then what do I do???

I'm going to start calorie counting again, cut down. Running is pretty much out of the question though!! It's foggy all the time here and I have absolutely no warm clothing at all! Yeah, it's Oregon. I live in hell.

I can't go to a gym because there are none in the town that I live in, not even a Y. Hence why everyone is fat in this town. But I don't want to be one of them. Help me!! I need workout secrets now. Things you can do at home with nothing at all other than yourself. I live in a studio so there is barely any room, but I'm willing to give anything a try!

Replies

• closet_fatty
    Options
    I even gave up soda, and replaced it with water, and I've been blowing up like a balloon ever since! I drink at least 1 liter a day, usually more.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How much have you regained? According to your ticker, you lost 8 pounds? It's pretty easy to gain this back. Heck, I gained 3 pounds back over Christmas. Water weight can easily add 2 pounds. Don't beat yourself up. It's all part of the journey. Controlling your weight is a life-long battle, unfortunately. There are no shortcuts. Just start tracking religiously again.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    for some reason I have this vague idea that stretching can be slimming. research it maybe it would help.

indoors calisthenics, pilates with a ball, jumprope, jumping jacks, workout videos, video game movement stuff and the other day I burned over 400 calories just cleaning my house? maybe you can get a job as a maid, make money and burn calories, and learn cleaning tips. If you do share with me because I've always wanted to know how those ladies get those hotels so spic and span so fast...and PUHlease don't let this post devolve into scary stories about blacklights.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There are a TONNE of workout videos on YouTube, find some you love and go nuts. Turn up the music, shut the curtains & dance. Walk in the fog - fast so you warm up & don't need warm clothes. Buy a skipping rope, or make do with regular rope.

I love the gym & I run a bit, but my workouts are often just done at home because I can't always get out of the house, they're often my best workouts too.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There are many great DVDs out there and although you live in a studio apt, you can still do them just fine. Leslie Sansone have several walk at home videos and they are good. There are kettlebell workout, aerobic workouts etc.

I do not have a large living room, but in the corner are my hand weights, my kettle bell and resistance band. I too live in an area that is real foggy in the mornings and im also in the country so walking early is out of the question. Add steps to your day, every day. You can do this by parking as far away from the door as possible or when you are at the grocery store, go up and down every isle even if you do not need anything on that row. You can also add resistance to a grocery cart but going to the dog food isle first, putting a 50lb bag of dog food on the bottom of the cart and pushing it around as you shop. When you are done shopping, go back to the dog food isle and put it back on the shelf.

Get creative. Remember that this is a wonderful place to help get you through your day, so keep coming back
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Workout DVDs! I use DVDs and workout on floorspace that is roughly the size of a queen size bed. I used to do a lot of Wii fitness stuff and worked out in the same area. Walking is another good one because you can do it anywhere.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Definitely go on you tube and find workout videos - the 30 day shred is on there and that is very effective! I did it just in my living room so it can be done in a small space with water bottles or tins of soup for weights.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You're not overweight (unless I misread your weight and height), so maybe you don't need to have weight loss as your focus? Perhaps you have a choice of being lighter but always dieting and scale-watching, or maintaining a healthy higher weight without having to think too much about it. It's entirely up to you, of course, but if I was in your position, I'd go for the latter and just concentrating on eating and exercising well.

For home exercise I'm using You Are Your Own Gym. The author, Mark Lauren, has just brought out a book aimed at women called "Body By You", which I'm reading at the moment. These are body weight exercises to build strength, and minimal equipment and space is needed.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Many popular exercise videos are on youtube....track for a week religiously, drink water and work out at home, and step on the scale in a week. I cant always work out bc I am alone w my 3 year old for a couple of months, but we go for a brisk walk. 50 mins of walking is about 300-350 cals which is what I get from a 30 min of circuit training
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    I agree with the poster who suggested Leslie Sansone. I wear an HRM while doing her videos and I burn a ton of calories!!
  • bodyblunder
    bodyblunder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out too much because I know when I do that it's like a mud slide. I end up eating way too much comfort food since I'm doing horribly anyway. Aaaand if you've been working out muscle tends to weigh more than fat so it's natural for you to gain weight when you strength train. Doing workout videos is a great idea and there are tons of options out there. You might even be able to get one from your local library. It's natural to plateau or even backslide, but mixing it up helps keep it fresh. I'm totally with you. I gained 15 pounds in the last year and now I'm fighting back. I blame it on the wedding cake!

These are some suggestions to help get you back on track.
    1. Religiously track you calories.
    2. Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meat like chicken, turkey, and lean pork and beef.
    3. Try to cut out any processed foods and sweets. But don't completely deprive yourself and keep it under control with smaller portions or just a bite if you can manage it. I struggle with that one!
    4. Try new healthy recipes (check your local library or internet for ideas).
    5. Start getting a little more active. Start walking more if you can't run. Look for stairs in a local building, hotel, or store. Be creative! There are very effective exercises that don't require any weights or equipment at all. Lunges, squats, jogging in place, high knees (use your abs and pick up the speed), push ups, dips, jump squats, crunches, plank, plies, etc.
    6. And most importantly, Don't give up!!!

Good luck! I'm rooting for you!