Can I lose weight eating 1500 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• amanda19902012
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody! I feel a lot better now! =)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's about what I eat, and I've had no problem losing and maintaining.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    of course... calculate your BMR here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator then stay under it either with exercise or diet changes or rather both.

What? No!

BMR is what your body needs to SURVIVE even in a coma...

THEN you add calories based on your chosen activity level to get your TDEE... (as a mom of a 2 yr old, the op should NOT be set at sedentary, more like active)

The TDEE is the number you subtract the 500 from to get your 1 lb per week loss, NOT from your BMR. You should never subtract ANYTHING from your BMR...

^^This.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know this website says to aim for 1200 calories but I find myself going over to about 1500 calories. Can I still lose weight??

Did you use to eat 3000 before starting this site?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    of course... calculate your BMR here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator then stay under it either with exercise or diet changes or rather both.

So why in the world would MFP then take that figure times some multiplier, like 1.25 for sedentary, and then take a deficit?

Because you have the wrong idea of what BMR means.
  • guiltypleasure00
    Options
    Thank you for making this topic. My weight loss has slowed down and I've been really worried that I was somehow messing up my weight loss or being greedy and over eating because I kept going over 1200cals a day (not by much, just a bit).

I feel so relieved reading this thread!
  • millicentjefferies
    Options
    Hi!!!!! Help My BMR IS 1,813 from the calculation issued from this website.... I currently eat between 1200-1500 calories a day since November 03,2012 and has lost 28 pounds...along with half hour runs 3x a week....am i on the right track?? I cant run a longer length of time because of knee injuries,,,,,hence the lower calorie intake then suggested
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i am eating 1500 calories a day and doing an hour of exercise on my elliptical everyday. i am losing an average of a pound a day.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1700. I'm sure you will do on 1500
  • nikkoalminar
    Options
    thank you so much :) i thought i will not lose any weight if i exceed 1200 cal :3 sorry for my bad english :3
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this forum, I'm 5'6 and exercise regularly by walking.

I've been feeling terrible trying to stick to just 1400 calories a day.

I'm so confused with all the advice - I was told told to calc my TDEE and take away 500.

It's just not enough, in the afternoon I start to slow down and feel really tired and sick.. So I'm upping to 1700 a day - hey if it takes a year to lose a pound it's better than feeling I'll every day! :-)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this forum, I'm 5'6 and exercise regularly by walking.

I've been feeling terrible trying to stick to just 1400 calories a day.

I'm so confused with all the advice - I was told told to calc my TDEE and take away 500.

It's just not enough, in the afternoon I start to slow down and feel really tired and sick.. So I'm upping to 1700 a day - hey if it takes a year to lose a pound it's better than feeling I'll every day! :-)

Subtract 15 to 25% of your TDEE (higher end only if you have a lot of weight to lose) rather than a flat 500 calories. Depending on your stats and activity levels, 500 could be a large percent of your TDEE, causing you to undereat when you subtract it.