How to start strength training?

Options
I have only ever done cardio exercise but recently I have wanted to start building muscle but I have no idea how to go about it!!!

I'm looking for recommendations on exercises to try at home

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping because I have the same question.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FoW will stop by with a very helpful link to a thread on this site that has much helpful information.

Until he gets here, I've found this link has the answers to almost all my fitness questions.

www.lmgtfy.com
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you can get out to a gym or have the money & space for a squat rack, then Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5 x 5 or NROLFW are the way to go.

That would be my preferred choice, but unfortunately cannot get out to a gym nor have room for a squat rack, but I still manage to hit most muscles doing a routine at home with adjustable dumbells and an incline/flat bench. There are plenty of routines online if you google 'dumbell routines' Just try to pick routines with compound moves and not isolation exercises if you can and you will benefit greatly.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Try these: http://stronglifts.com/ or this http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

I'm primarily bumping so female friends of mine can chime in here. You can also search for some of the older threads on this.

Good luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is awesome. I have been doing it for about 12 weeks and had big changes. I started with body weight strength training 2 months before that. Google nerd fitness and check out their strength training. It's a great start until you are ready for weights - if you're not now that is!! LOL
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I recently got hold of a set of resistance bands and was a little apprehensive at first but really like them and use them with www.liveexercise.com. Doing a 'live' routine seems to help rather than watching a vid etc. I tried free weights but ended up hurting myself. If you buy their bands you get a limited free access to their shows (not the cheapest bands but excellent quality).
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sorry -- whatever Jillian Michaels has told women is wrong. You cannot get REAL -- like "I can kick your *kitten*" -- muscles at home unless you have a full gym at home. Bodybuilding.com has great demo videos, but the equipment needed to gain REAL strength isn't a "towel and a few bottles of water".
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

FullofWin is busy winning at the moment, so I'll post his link for him
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

FullofWin is busy winning at the moment, so I'll post his link for him

Thx brah. Had to shoot some fools in Planetside 2
  • jess_austin
    Options
    Thank you very much everybody for your advice! After reading everything I am going to invest in a bench and some weights and definitely check out those links!! Thanks again!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    NROL will walk you through everything, including diet. I hear good things about Stronglifts too.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I am also just beginning strength training. I don't have a gym or any equiptment yet, so here is what I am doing - 3 sets of 15.

Squat
    Lunge
    Push Up (I'm doing a plank for now, but I'll get to push ups eventually)
    Tricep Dip
    Sit up
    Bicycle
    Crunch
    Bridge

This is mostly core work, since I need the core for everything else. When I'm less pathetic about these, I'll move on.

I love all the workout challenges I find online though. There are TV show strength challenges (everytime bart says man, push ups kind of thing) and commercial challenges. I'm going to do the buffy the vapire slayer one since I have all the seasons.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sorry -- whatever Jillian Michaels has told women is wrong. You cannot get REAL -- like "I can kick your *kitten*" -- muscles at home unless you have a full gym at home. Bodybuilding.com has great demo videos, but the equipment needed to gain REAL strength isn't a "towel and a few bottles of water".

Hahaha that is soooooo true. But what I really think she means is that sh can start the basic growth with some of her workouts since you are using hjandweights for the strenght circuits.

I have started off slow with machines to begin my strenght building but have been usig 5x5 to start my free weight training now ( and I am not going with super heavy freee weights since I was doing 55/65 with the machines) It's been two weeks so far and I have really noticed a difference :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Ahem, calisthenics.