Leslie Sansone's walk at home

Options
Hi there....I just recently started Leslie Sansone's walk at home boot camp. I wanted to hear from others who have done it and what success they have had at it? I figured it was just walking but she puts in kicks and other moves and seems to me to be a pretty good work out. Also was wondering what category you put it under in exercise. I haven't exercised in about a year so hoping this will be a good one to kick start me again:) Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie. I have a couple of her dvd's - the Walk away the Pounds series and also the 5 mile fat burning dvd. I definitely believe it has helped me with shedding some pounds! :smile:

I wear a heart rate monitor (HRM) to record how many calories are burnt during a session. I always log my Leslie exercise as "walking a very brisk pace, 4.0 mph" (I believe it says something to that affect). I burn anywhere from 230-300 calories each time.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • ITTYbitty04
    ITTYbitty04 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi I put mine under cardio. and log how long I did it for and it will give you the approximate calories burned. I usually wear my heart rate monitor and the totals for MFP and my HRM come in very close. I really love her DVD's and try to use them at least 4 days a week when I first get up.

you're welcome to add me as a friend if you need help or motivation, I'd be glad to help!
  • paleonyx
    paleonyx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never did the boot camp video but I LOVE Leslie! I did her videos for about 4 years until I moved on to P90x. I like her walk/kick video best. It's quick but intense. I think her videos are perfect for people just starting out, since you can move on to the more intense and longer workouts. Good luck!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do them and u can put them in as low impact aerobic or walking 4.0 that is what everyone one else has done so that is how i log mine my calorie burn is the same for each one
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I agree with forever28...i log mine under the walking @ 4.0 mph...since it starts off slow and the pace increases to at least 5.0 mph somewhere in there...
    I love the WAH workouts..it's pure genious!

but I have to ask..WHERE DID YOU FIND THE WALK AT HOME BOOTCAMP?!?!? i haven't heard of this one, and I must purchase it...
  • Senta7
    Senta7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi!
    I love Leslie's Walk at Home DVDs. I have the four mile one, Although I'm not fit enough to do the whole thing yet! And that's the cool thing. I can do one mile, or two on a good day and then skip to the cool down for a stretch. And miles 3 and 4 are waiting for me as I get fitter. As far as adding it to exercise, I add it under "walking" at a 4.0 Mile Per Hour Brisk Pace and then I put how many minutes I walked (One mile is 15, Two miles is 27, etc.) The way I came up with the four mile an hour pace is that the first mile on my DVD is a 15 minute mile, so if I walked four of those miles, it would take an hour. If you listen to Leslie on your DVD, she probably breaks down each mile for you. I have a feeling your DVD will be very similar with a 4 mile per hour pace. Most of her DVDs I've done are the same. You are doing so awesome! Congrats. Can I ask you what the 30 day challenge is? And how can I get my ticker on my posts? Thanks!
  • ITTYbitty04
    Options
    Hi forever28 I was wondering how long you do the walking DVD for? i usually do the 3 mile walking DVD and it takes about 50 minutes. My HRM usually says I burn about 400-450 calorie for the session. I am wondering if my HRM is over estimating or am I at about the right calorie burn? I know that it depends on the weight of the person that will determine their calorie burn. my totals are usually a little under what MFP calculates and sometimes I record a lowere calorie burn so as not to over estimate! What do you think? is that a good technique?

all helpful replies welcome:happy:
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I like the WAH DVD when it's rainy out and/or my child isn't cooperating enough for the gym. I'll average out my speed based on time/distance. For example: if you walk 60mins and complete 4mi, you're average walking speed is a 15min mile which is 4mph.

I LOVE how you can manipulate the workout to your level. Instead of the resistance band, I'll sometimes use 2lb or 3lb weights.

For ITTYbitty04, if you think the HRM is too high then estimate lower when you record your exercise calories. Or input the approximate speed and time and see what MFP estimates for you. Maybe it it accurate? Good luck!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great info. This is why mfp works so well. Everyone is willing to help everyone. The motivation is awesome! I purchased this dvd at Walmart but I had to go to several before I found it. This one has 2 figure 8 bands with it. I'm just starting out with it and have only got up to one mile. I'm going to try for 2 miles today. I was expecting just basic walking but "Wow" ,, it's so much more than that. I joined almost 3 weeks ago. The 30 day challenge is a challenge that my cousin and I started on here on Valentine's day. It run until March 16th and then we are going to start another one called Spring into Fitness. We are just a great group that helps motivate each other and we have daily challenges. The ultimate goal of course is to lose weight and inches but it has become so much more than that. You all are soooo great. Good luck to all of you on your weight loss journey. Feel free to add me as friend:)

Oh also someone asked about the ticker, go to tools, choose the one you want, then go to message boards, signature and copy and paste. I think that's right:) If that doesn't work, message me and I'll be glad to help. Took me forever to figure it out:)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oops it posted my last comment twice. Just removing it.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love WATP! i have her one, and five mile..and a few others i think..lol i like that she makes it different each time. do it as the cardio 4mph....

luck!
  • tracey986
    tracey986 Posts: 15
    Options
    It usually tells you on the back of the dvd what to put it under. Most of them are considered low impact aerobics.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is what I wrote IttyBitty if anyone is interested. :smile:

I use a Polar - f6 model HRM. I haven't did the Walk away the Pounds dvd in awhile since I bought the 5 mile fat burn.

It takes my husband and I about 37-40 mins (I think 37 mins) to do the 3 mile which burns closer to the lower ends of the 200's for me. The 4 mile takes around 45-50 something mins is closer to the lower end of the 300 calorie range for myself. I cannot remember the exact times. Sorry!

I currently weigh 224 lbs and I'm 5 ' 7".

Which HRM are you using? Also, does your HRM have a chest trap? Mine does so I know it is a pretty accurate reading of my heart.

~ Traci
  • ITTYbitty04
    Options
    I like the WAH DVD when it's rainy out and/or my child isn't cooperating enough for the gym. I'll average out my speed based on time/distance. For example: if you walk 60mins and complete 4mi, you're average walking speed is a 15min mile which is 4mph.

I LOVE how you can manipulate the workout to your level. Instead of the resistance band, I'll sometimes use 2lb or 3lb weights.

For ITTYbitty04, if you think the HRM is too high then estimate lower when you record your exercise calories. Or input the approximate speed and time and see what MFP estimates for you. Maybe it it accurate? Good luck!

thanks jill I think I will continue to scale down my calorie burn, what can it hurt? just means I'll be pleaseantly surprised if I lose alot of pounds the next time I weigh in!
  • redmohca89
    redmohca89 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi there. im currently doing Leslies videos on you tube.

her 1 mile and her 2 mile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgB_cqDiXs
    her 2 mile i burn according to my HRM 114- 120 calories.

if anyone else can tell me if they get similar results, it would be a great relief to know im not way off , or at least to find out its not an over estimate. thanks in advance :)
  • juniormints74
    juniormints74 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone explains the calorie burn here. I found it to be very helpful when logging :flowerforyou: :
    http://www.walkathome.com/exercise/calorie-burn-per-mile/