Which should I trust more HRM or machines?

Options
I have been working out for a couple weeks now and on the machines I do enter all the information so I trusted the calorie burn. However I decided to go ahead and buy a HRM and it says on the elliptical I burn 377, but the machine says 550. I noticed on the treadmill it was almost same. Treadmill said 214, and HRM said 156. Which one should I go by for MFP?

Replies

• elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    HRM is real, machines are only a estimation, and they estimate way high all the time.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Go by the HRM. The machines are notorious for overestimating calorie burn.

I have a BMF, which can show calories burned for a workout. In order to get the treadmill to show about the same calorie burn as the BMF, I have to take 30 pounds off of the weight that I input into the machine.
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HRM, no question.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    According to some medical lab studies, an HRM often reads about 9% higher than true burn, but the machines are even worse. Go by your HRM. If you're concerned about accountability, subtract 9% from your HRM reading. I always figure it's better to overestimate food and underestimate exercise. I subtract 10% from my HRM.

Also, don't forget to update your weight in your HRM. I update mine every time I lose five pounds.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    According to some medical lab studies, an HRM often reads about 9% higher than true burn, but the machines are even worse. Go by your HRM. If you're concerned about accountability, subtract 9% from your HRM reading. I always figure it's better to overestimate food and underestimate exercise. I subtract 10% from my HRM.

Also, don't forget to update your weight in your HRM. I update mine every time I lose five pounds.

The comments in here are spot on. Overestimate food and underestimate exercise...it's a true zen saying. Oh by the way, go by the HRM
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    HRM. Hands down.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    HRM always
  • cardoza2011
    Options

Thanks I didn't think about doing that. I do need as much accuracy as possible.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    HRM is way more accurate, be aware though that even the best HRM's are only around 75% accurate :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For treadmills and basic stationary bikes, trust the machines. There is a known workload associated with these machines, so the calculation for cals burned is pretty accurate. For everything else, it's kind of a crapshoot, but a decent HRM that is setup correctly will likely be more accurate, though it's still just an estimate and is likely off to some extent.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The machines and the HRM are estimations. What is helpful is to be consistent on your logging using one method. My HRM (chest band) actually works with the Precor machines and gives about the same as the machine. Estimation programs like Noom, Endimondo etc don't know the intensity of things like inclines and tend to be less accurate. Using a consistent method is better than switching them up.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    HRM is real, machines are only a estimation, and they estimate way high all the time.
    No and no.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I would think it depends on the HRM. I have a bodymedia and it doesn't register my stationary bike very well. I can be on it for twenty min and it will register 2-5. I think it has something to do with lack of movement on the upper half of the body.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    The machines and the HRM are estimations. What is helpful is to be consistent on your logging using one method. My HRM (chest band) actually works with the Precor machines and gives about the same as the machine. Estimation programs like Noom, Endimondo etc don't know the intensity of things like inclines and tend to be less accurate. Using a consistent method is better than switching them up.

Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't much matter which you use. It matters far more that you are consistent. Pick one and use it. Then after a month or so you can gauge your results. If you are calculating a calorie deficit but gaining/maintaining, then your estimates are likely off (eating more than you think and/or burning less than you think). If you are calculating a surplus but are lose, then your estimates are likely off (eating less than you think and/or burning more than you think). Tweak as necessary.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    HRM. Hands down.

agreed
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

The comments in here are spot on. Overestimate food and underestimate exercise...it's a true zen saying. Oh by the way, go by the HRM

Overestimate food that you're unsure of. When you measure it yourself, no need to estimate.

I have found that at the gym, the elliptical and the arc trainer over estimate. The Treadmill is fairly close. The bike is underestimated by a great deal. This is in comparison to my Polar FT4 readings.
  • mommawarwick
    mommawarwick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    what HRM is recommended?