Kale Chips

Options
Who's made them, tried them & what's the best way to cook them???

Replies

• sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I buy them premade a fair amount. My favorites are the Brad's Raw Foods - Vampire Killer kale chips. If you want to try making them yourself, here's a recipe: http://happyherbivore.com/2010/08/kale-chips/ I haven't tried it myself, but a friend has, and her recipes are usually really good.
  • smoniz89
    Options
    My sister and her husband try to eat paleo as much as often. She made these before and they were really good. I haven't attempted them yet but I sure will soon.

http://www.passionatepaleo.blogspot.ca/2012/12/sesame-kale-chips.html
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    <3 them...I buy them all green and leafy from the grocery store, spray them with PAM or toss them with olive oil, my son prefers them to have a sprinkling of onion soup mix, I prefer pepper, then we bake them at 375...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    they are addictive. i just eat them out of the bag. are they actually healthy?
  • motoole19
    motoole19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've made them several times. I've found that you need to start with good sized pieces of kale since they do shrink when they bake. I season mine with various things - salt & pepper, onion or garlic powder and sometimes red pepper flakes. They're good plain as well. I bake mine at 375 for about 7-10 minutes depending on the size.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I used to make them all the time in my dehydrator. I would just clean the kale, sprinkle with salt and pepper and dehydrate until crispy. So addictive!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Tried a few times but can't seem to get it right. The baking of the Kale makes my house reek so I've given up.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I make them all the time. thi sis copied from my post on a different thread on snacking:

you can make quite good kale chips by cutting kale leaves (with the ribs removed) in to bite sized pieces and spreading them out on a cookie sheet. spray the pan and the kale pieces with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt and bake at 275 for 20 minutes or so... watch them because they can burn easily - you want to catch them while they are still green but crunchy, once they are brown - they are ruined! if they are still wet, they need more time. they are super yummy and VERY low calorie... definitely fill the crunchy/salty bill.
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have made them with olive oil, and toss with sea salt and some sesame seeds, then bake :) Yum and healthy!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I HAVE THE BEST RECIPE!!
    Used only organic kale. I tried the regular and it tasted totally different(YUCK)
    1 bunch kale
    1.5 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. soy sauce

oven at 300

wash and dry kale. then tear off main stem and into about 4 inch pieces.
    mix oil and soy in big bowl and ad kale. mix till its covered.
    on cookie sheet put tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange kale in single layer on sheet.
    cook 13 min then check. after that cook 4 minutes at time till the are dark green almost brown. you can check if they are done but eating one. should be crispy and paper lite. I add more salt when I pull them out.
    makes about 6 servings at 32 calories each.
    will last 1 weeks in air tight container.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    They are ABSOLUTELY delicious. I buy Trader Joe's pre-washed kale because removing the stems can be a hassle and if you don't rinse all of the grit out when you do it yourself, it's disgusting.

Make sure the kale is dry (if you've rinsed it again out of preference), place flat on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 375 F for anywhere between 7-12 minutes. It really depends on your oven (mine tends to take a while). But you HAVE TO WATCH them when you make these (at least the first few times) because once they over cook they taste horrible and aren't salvagable.

Here's a chocolate covered kale recipe I've yet to try but plan to do so soon:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/chocolate-kale-chips-recipe/index.html
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I've had pretty good results with baby kale. I toss it with some bacon grease & massage it in pretty thoroughly & bake for 5-10 minutes. No extra seasoning needed. I leave the ribs on for a handle.

YUM!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I can't get them right, either. :brokenheart:
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    im going to try them , ive found a few recipes online just now , i just typed in Google , kale chips :)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I can never get mine quite right. Maybe I'll try some of these suggestions.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I love them also..............

Bake for a few minutes at 375 and i switch up between olive oil and filtered bacon grease also. If I use olive oil, I sprinkle a little salt..............if using the bacon grease, no extra salt needed.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump