Deadlifts Squats Lunges

Options
Hello!

I have set up a home gym in the basement but when it comes to deadlifts, I only have a barbell with 10lbs on it to use. Do you guys think this weight is useful to me? I am working on losing 7 more lbs and to tone. Do you think I could do deadlifts with two 25lb dumbbells instead?

For squats, I hold a 25lbs dumbbell high up on my chest to do them. Is that a good weight?

For lunges, I usually don't hold weight. I just do 10-15reps * 3 sets on each leg. Sometimes I will hold my 2lb. dumbbells. Don't really use them too much - there are pretty darn light.

Replies

• doublegloucester
    Options
    you need to go and buy some bigger weights. i mean deadlifts are for back so maybe you should be going to 80llbs, or a bit less. i can't guage as I am doing 110kg but i am a bit bigger.

for fat burning i think intensity is the key and tone can only be the muscle growing against body fat reducing surely?

why don't you try this?

its called german volme training and works for those looking for quick results i.e. fast toning.

the tempo is 4 seconds down, explode up wit no rest during the set
    there is 90 seconds rest between the super sets and
    10 sets of supersets.

so basically part a of superset is the squat

do 10 reps at the tempo above, then straught into 10 reps of shoulder raises.
    once done rest for 90 seconds. then the same as above.
    repeat for 10 sets.

should be enough intensity and with the right weight you will see tone and fat drops quickly.

rest for a day

then you do supersets for back and rest for a day

then you do arms

try the first one and let me know.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My only caution about the german volume is that unless you are an experienced lifter and your technique is spot on its very easy to hurt yourself.
    Single leg deadlifts are a nice option, very focused for the proximal (top of the) hamstrings. Keeps your back out of it, works your balance, and you don't need as heavy of a weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    She has 10lb weights and a MAN is suggesting she deadlift 80? Some day, maybe.

OP: try to purchase a bar and a few weight plates. Play it again sports has them quite cheap (if you have one where you live)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    What about deadifting with my two 25lb dumbbells instead?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much does your bar weigh?

And heavy is what is heavy to you, not to anyone else - i.e. it is what challenges you for the set amount of reps.

Have you just started lifting?
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    put your two dumbells end to end in front of you and do deadlifts that way, also you can do shoulder presses or power cleans with the barbell , you can also do some bent over rows with the bar or singles with the dumbells . I would eventually look into some heavier plates or dumbells as you want to continue moving up. But for now the possibilities of what you can do with the dumbells are endless
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have set up a home gym in the basement but when it comes to deadlifts, I only have a barbell with 10lbs on it to use. Do you guys think this weight is useful to me? I am working on losing 7 more lbs and to tone. Do you think I could do deadlifts with two 25lb dumbbells instead?

For squats, I hold a 25lbs dumbbell high up on my chest to do them. Is that a good weight?

For lunges, I usually don't hold weight. I just do 10-15reps * 3 sets on each leg. Sometimes I will hold my 2lb. dumbbells. Don't really use them too much - there are pretty darn light.

yes you can deadlift with the dumbbells...the barbell could be useful too though according to what you have because they have weight as well...if you find the weight too light you could go to a one legged version..or more reps...find your comfort zone and then..go a little bit out of it..exampe if you're doing lunges..hold the weights..step up on a bench..step down into a reverse lunge...that will get the cals burning and the muscles pumped if done correctly...squats...again..if its too easy..find a way to make it more intense..such as doing speed squats or skaters
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts work much more of your body than your back. When I started to really focus on deadlifts I made radical changes in my physique.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options

OP: try to purchase a bar and a few weight plates. Play it again sports has them quite cheap (if you have one where you live)

I am a woman and I deadlift 135 right now.. We are much stronger than we imagine we are..

If you have an Olympic barbell, that itself weighs 45lbs. add 10lbs and that's already 55lbs. so recommending 80 is not far off.

Lunges can be done with dumbells in hand - get rid of the 2lb dumbbells...Try holding your 10lbs weights from the barbell in each hand.
    Try variations like the Bulgarian split squat - You tube it

Squatting with dumbbells is fine. You could also put the dumbbell behind your neck to simulate back squats, or just use the barbell for squats as well, with or without added weights.

These are all great exercises whether you do them body weight only, or with added weight.

Deadlift with dumbbells also works.

You should lift as heavy as you can, that what is going to give you the most benefit. 2lb weights will not help you at all...

Good luck!!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    also look up goblet squats

here is a link for dumbell deadlifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8YJ_tfLPJQ
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I started out deadlifts with 30lb and quickly realized I could do much, much more. I'm only on my second week of doing them, and I'm doing 80. She should totally gauge for herself and start light and focus on form—but 80lb deadlift is probably closer than some day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I started out deadlifts with 30lb and quickly realized I could do much, much more. I'm only on my second week of doing them, and I'm doing 80. She should totally gauge for herself and start light and focus on form—but 80lb deadlift is probably closer than some day.
    Please don't misunderstand me. Of course it's possible. You started with 30. She's on 10. Some day could be next week. My point stands. 80lbs could hurt her, depending on her size, her health her experience with deadlifts...And yes, she should start light, and focus on form...When the OP posted his recommendation, he had no profile photo. Nothing to indicate he was a man...just saying...

fwiw: I squat 120, currently. Haven't done deads in a while, so don't know what that might be.