Which running app do I trust most for calories burned?

Options
Hello. I'm new here and just getting started into running to try and knock off 100+ lbs. I've got a few apps on my iphone to help keep track of it all and to keep myself in check. However by going through a bunch of apps and trying them all out, I'm finding pretty big differences in calories burned. This really throws a wrench in me trying to keep to my calorie limit each day.

For instance, I just got back from a 2¼ mile jog and Runtastic reports me as burning 686 calories but mapmyrun only reports 395. With a difference of almost 300, that seems significant enough to make me question which is right and which I should stick with. 300 lost is almost a whole meal worked off.

I just want to do this right and as accurately as possible so I know I'm staying on track. I don't even mind switching to another app as long as it is accurate.

So which do I go with?

Thanks!

Replies

• czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Double check to make sure that your personal information is correct in runtastic. It seemed mine was way high and I checked and my weight was really off. I am not sure if on a sync with my phone if my weight went back to the default setting or what. Map my run could have the same issue - I am not familiar with it.
  • TeeShirtNinja
    Options
    I can assure my info is input 100% correct.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im also interested in experiences with runnings apps. The lower number seems right to me but it depends on your current weight.
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's totally accurate, but for the past year, I've been using the Nike+ app and I LOVE it! I'm 199lbs and have a lot to lose still, but I've lost 45 so far and I thank myfitnesspal and Nike+ for that! I also bought the Nike Fuel Band this Christmas and it's forced me to be more consistent with my runs. I use mapmyride for bike rides, but not for running. I'm super curious to see who else is using the Nike+ app?!?! I'm a slow runner, but on average, my 3 mile runs burn about 370-400 depending on my speed.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You just need to find the one you are most comfortable using. I also tried 3 different apps, all of them were wildly different in their calculations, and I ultimately went with the lowest of the 3 for me which was runtastic. The kicker for some of these is that if you "walk" any of your route, it's going to calculate based on a constant run (if that's what you have it set to, runtastic lets you choose). While their apps take distance and speed into account, it assumes that you are at a heart rate run at all times.

If you are doing an run/walk combination, the only true measure would be a HRM. I haven't found a website/app yet that lets you combine the two of them.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are burning ~700 cals for just over 2 miles, but that all depends i guess....

Regardless, the best bet is to get an HRM. Otherwise, I always go with the lower estimates, because apps/machines always overestimate calorie burn.
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your running is efficient, the rule of thumb is 100c / mile. A bit more if you're carrying a lot of excess weight. So cwashkowiak's report is the only one I believe. The rest are absurdly high - unless you are running up mountains or running through snow.
  • kaytbaggs
    kaytbaggs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It will do you a world of difference if you pick up a Heart Rate Monitor. Get one that has a chest strap. This will track your heart rate and it will give you your actual calories burned. Its the only thing that will be 100% accurate. As you run more and more you will get more and more in shape and burn less doing the same workout because your heart rate will come down as you get stronger.

Polar is a good basic model to start with and you can find them at target or best buy.

Happy running!!!
  • Chevygurl79
    Options
    I have found that Endomondo works the best for me. Have you tried taking your HR and doing the math from there to check? I used to do that before I bought my HRM (that my kids have now lost).
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper lets you choose whether you are walking or running or biking, etc, which seems to help make it more accurate.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can assure my info is input 100% correct.

Okay.. runtastic for me runs pretty close with my garmin. I agree though - it sounds high. For the most part they all use mathematical formulas...

I found this website
    http://easycalculation.com/health/heart-rate-calorie-burn.php

So if you put in your heart rate and time, it will give you an approximation of how many calories burned. I have a heart rate monitor strap with my garmin. Good luck!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight, but I am overweight and seem to burn about 100-110 calories per 10 minutes of running. Runtastic is the best app for me. I lose my GPS signal with MapMyRun quite often, so it's recording me at zero mph even when I'm running and I was getting readings of less than a mile and 100 calories burned for a half hour or more of jogging. I'm a slow runner, my pace is about 5 mph.

However, if you weight over 250 - and run fast - it's possible to be burning close to 200 calories per mile, I think.
  • TeeShirtNinja
    Options
    Thank you all for the fast replies! I don't have a HRM but will invest in one. I weigh 273 currently, I guess I'll go with the lower of the two until I can afford a HRM. I definitely do a run walk combo so it isn't consistent yet. My iPhone's gps doesn't lose connection so the distance and everything should be correct. It pegs me at doing an avg of 16:45 min/mi. My first one is around 14:30 but I find myself walking a lot more on the way back.