Going to the bathroom

Options
I know this is TMI and possibly inappropriate but I was wondering if anyone else is having issues pooping. I used to be very regualr but since I started my new diet and workout I only go once every 3 days and it is not pleasant for me. I drink between 6 - 10 ounces of water a day. I don't know what I am doing wrong or maybe I need to just go see a dr.

Replies

• robinsnest02
    robinsnest02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you meant to put your drinking between 60-100 ounces of water a day. If not, that is where you're problem lies.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    6-10 ounces of water a day? I'm hoping that was a bit of a type. If not really increase your water.

Otherwise, ensure you are getting enough fiber and fat in your diet. Fiber along with lots of water help move things along... fat aids in that process as well.

Try adding a probiotic to your diet as well. It really does help!
  • 24redwine
    Options
    If you've cut out the fat and reduced your sugar intake, and perhaps don't have enough fiber....Make sure you are exercising, add sme healthy fiber to your diet, and keep up the water intake. Consider Metamucil...really works, but follow directions carefully. I'd recommend once a day only. If it's not better soon, yes call your doctor.
  • lisaaely
    Options
    Maybe too much/too little fiber?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you meant to put your drinking between 60-100 ounces of water a day. If not, that is where you're problem lies.

This. Plus, how much fiber are you getting?
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That's not fun! Sorry!

What kind of foods do you eat? Also, how long ago did you start your new diet? Sometimes the body just needs time to adjust.

Easiest answer - go to any drug store or grocery store and by an OTC stool softener. I'd at least try that before going to the doctor.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've heard this issue is common when changing how you eat. I switched up my diet and personally had this issue. I was eating a ton of veggies and meat (lots of fiber and water). Problem cleared up when I added in more healthy fats. I now eat half an avocado on my salads and use olive oil in my dressing. Fats are often the forgotten part of the equation for regularity.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    This could be the sign that you are not eating enough, or that you're not eating enough fiber. Do you track fiber? If you have trouble going to the bathroom (it was the case for me before), you could set up your fiber intake to 25 and it should helps. Also, do you eat enough fat? I've been told healthy fat + fiber + water was the key. Just my opinion, hope it helps :)
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Did you even try searching for this topic? I saw the exact same issue less than an hour ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/860939-haven-t-pooped-for-3-days
  • NanPeggy
    Options
    Try taking 2-3 tablespoons of Wheat Bran a day...Raw; not cooked in mufins or other things; Wheat Bran, not Oat Bran. I sprinkle it on cereal or other food; or mix it in juice even though it doesn't dissolve.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That's definitely not healthy-- increase your fluids (not just water, though you need way more of that too), and take a look at your food intake. Are you eating foods that are linked to irregularity? Are you getting any significant fiber? Have you drastically cut your calories? All of these factors can play into your digestive system. Try adding in more produce and yogurt, and avoid cheese.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I swear by psyllium husks. Add a tablespoon to a glass of water and drink, followed by another glass of water, or
    mix it in with yogurt. It works magic.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink like 6 - 10 cups of water...so IDK how many ounces that is.
  • annams76
    Options
    Did you even try searching for this topic? I saw the exact same issue less than an hour ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/860939-haven-t-pooped-for-3-days

No I did not search the topic but if you are not going to give any advise don't comment.
  • annams76
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advise. The water intake was a type-o I meant cups not ounces. I do track the fat and the fiber I eat and I thought I was doing well. I changed my diet over a month ago. I will definitely give some of these things a try. Thanks again.
  • chopsim104
    Options
    Fats are often the forgotten part of the equation for regularity.
    I agree with this. I have just rejoined after putting back 47lbs of the 60lbs i lost in 6 months last year.
    When i cut most of the fat out of my diet i couldnt go for days!! Added fat back in and hey voila.
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    Bump your fiber goal up to 25 and try adding chia seeds to things like oatmeal and smoothies. Great source of fiber. Should help.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine/ coffee from your diet? Coffee is a great regulator, and is perfectly healthy for you so long as you're not adding tons of sugar and creamer to it. If you've been eating the same way for a month, though, perhaps it is another factor unrelated to your diet change, and I would recommend seeing a doctor. Hope you get things sorted out soon!
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I drink like 6 - 10 cups of water...so IDK how many ounces that is.

48 - 80 ounces, if you are going by the standard 1 cup = 8 oz.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Haha, I actually had the opposite happen to me... I would maybe poop once a week, if I was lucky, but now that I've been watching my macros more, I poop with stunning regularity

...I had no idea how much I wanted to use that phrase until I typed it XD