Treadmill

Options
Hello!
I can't run, yet. So on the treadmill I just walk. Generally I try to walk to a mile or more. But I want to focus more on time and not distance. What do you think is a good amount of time to just straight walk on a treadmill. What would you set as your incline and speed? Remember I can't run so not too fast :-)

Thanks!

Add me for motivation and support :)

Replies

• dlmcgo
    dlmcgo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't run yet either. My health problem involves my heart and lungs. I have no idea if what I'm doing is right or wrong! I warm-up at 1.5 for 5 min then go at 2.0 for 30 min. My plan is to increase my time by 15 minutes a week then work on speed later. I'm moving and that's all that matters to me!! Good luckt o you.
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    walk on incline majority of the time on the treadmill. it will make your butt shake less :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't run for medical reasons or you don't want to run because you think you can't? If you want to learn to run download the C25K app and teach yourself to run. FWIW, I walk at no less than 4 mph at a 1% incline.
  • Tiffanie0407
    Options
    I say maybe 3.0. Its not really fast but I walk no lesser than 3.5 or 4.0. I jogg to 5.0.You should probably stay on at least 10 to 15 minutes that should be the minimum.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Let me say I hate all cardio work. I find it boring. However, I have found I put it on the highest incline my treadmill has but it does not give me a number. I walk between 30 to 50 minutes each time. The ONLY way it works for me is to either read a book perferably with smutt or watch one of the few tv shows that I record.

I wear a fitbit and you do not burn that many calories on a treadmill so a minimum of 30 is what I would try. Remember do not worry about the speed at first because any walking is better than none.

Good Luck,
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find intervals to be infinitely better than just going at a steady state. That's what the couch to 5K program is really all about, too. Using those basic principles, I suggest you pick a speed that is pretty comfortable for you, whatever that is. Say 3.0 mph. Walk at that speed for 5 minutes. Then choose a speed that it will be a challenge to keep up for a minute. Maybe it's only 3.5mph, but maybe it's 4.5mph. I don't know. By the end of that minute you should barely be able to keep it up and very happy to go back to your starting speed of 3.0mph (or whatever your starting speed was). Stay at that speed for 2 minutes. Then do 1 minute on the faster speed again. Repeat the cycle until 30 minutes is up.

Do the same "program" for a week or so (I'd suggest 3-5 times), even if you feel like it's starting to get too easy. Then change your program. Keep the same speeds, but aim for 1.5 minutes on the slower speed, and 1.5 minutes on the faster speed, alternating for the 30 minutes. Then a week or so later, whenever you're starting to feel more comfortable with it, go for only 1 minute on the slower speed, and 2 minutes on the faster speed, alternating for 30 minutes. Then 1 minute on the slower speed, 3 minutes on the faster speed, alternating for 30 minutes. Etc, etc, etc.

Eventually you'll be able to do a full 30 minutes at the faster speed. And then you start over...only now that's your SLOWER speed! And eventually your faster speed will be a bit of a job. And then it will be a bit of a run. And then you'll be running for miles.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use my ability to talk as a good gauge. If you are going fast enough to hold a conversation with someone where you can get out 2-4 words per breath, that that is a good speed for me. It's a trick an old coach taught us and it keeps you in a good heart rate zone without having to have a heart rate monitor.
  • schlagers
    Options
    Here is a beginner workout I used to do: http://www.fitsugar.com/Cardio-Workout-Beginner-Treadmill-6856999

As you get better then up the incline a bit each time.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just started Couch to 5k (c25k). I am soooo not a runner, but I can do the little bursts. I run slowly compared to most, but I literally started yesterday. It is great if you just don't think you can or don't want to run. If you have a medical reason not to run, then just start adjusting the treadmill until you find something challenging, but doable for about thirty minutes to start. Everyone has different levels that feel right to them.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill to get my back used to it before I start running. I usually walk ~3.0 - 3.4 mph for about an hour. Once I'm comfortable with that, I increase the incline. After about a month, I'm walking at 3.5 at a 5% incline. Really gets the heart pumping!
    :)
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have a treadmill desk so I walk and work at the same time. I usually set it at 1% incline and 2.0 mph. I can walk for about 90 mins straight before I have to take a break. When I used to go to the gym I would walk 3.5-4.0 mph at 3-5% incline for about 30 mins. I get bored on the treadmill, that why I like to use it while I work because my brain is occupied and not thinking "is it over yet?". :) I agree with the other poster that says their heart gets pumping at 5% and you really feel it in your legs and butt!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    From what I have read and been told, 20 min minimum for cardio is a solid MINIMUM point. I would recommend at least 30 minutes.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have never heard of the Couch to 5K before. I will have to do some research.