Hi everyone - Just getting started here! :-) Can you answer

Options
I'm new and just working my way around this fabulous site. One thing I have a question about: I thought I might be able to create a meal I made from a recipe by adding all the ingredients used in their full quantities, and then that there might be some feature that would allow me to break it up into actual serving sizes. Like "Lunch Portion Meal" and "Dinner Portion Meal" (because dinner would be a little bigger). For example, I made a big pot of vegetarian chili last night and added all the ingredients using the "Add Food" feature, but now there's no way to break out the actual portion sizes, or is there? Can someone help me? Can this feature be added if it doesn't already exist? This particular meal contains about 20 ingredients and is rather a pain to have to 1) break down the ingredients, and 2) create each meal over again based on the portion size. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Susan.

Replies

• susie0705
    Options
    Hi started a couple of weeks ago now. Doing ok. Lost 61bs so far! Not spoken to anyone yet. Any tips?
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm new and just working my way around this fabulous site. One thing I have a question about: I thought I might be able to create a meal I made from a recipe by adding all the ingredients used in their full quantities, and then that there might be some feature that would allow me to break it up into actual serving sizes. Like "Lunch Portion Meal" and "Dinner Portion Meal" (because dinner would be a little bigger). For example, I made a big pot of vegetarian chili last night and added all the ingredients using the "Add Food" feature, but now there's no way to break out the actual portion sizes, or is there? Can someone help me? Can this feature be added if it doesn't already exist? This particular meal contains about 20 ingredients and is rather a pain to have to 1) break down the ingredients, and 2) create each meal over again based on the portion size. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Susan.
    once you list all your ingredients, click on Remember Meal and name it whatever you want, and add how many servings and serving size; for example one of mine makes 6 1.5-cup servings. Once you save your meal, then you can delete all the individual ingredients and add the meal you just saved and if you ate 1/6 of the recipe, then you'd type .167 for the serving size. That's what I do and it works well. Hope this helps!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yes - Lilchino answered perfectly - the only thing I can add is -

Switch your dinner and lunch portions! The lunch one should be bigger, you don't want all that food sitting in your stomach when you go to sleep.

Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Dinner like a Pauper

It's a little strange from our western idea of when and how much to eat, but if you get used to it, you'll find you have quicker results!
  • Susan367
    Susan367 Posts: 3
    Options
    Six pounds?!! That's amazing. Advice? Well, sounds like you don't need any you're doing fine- but I just gave Slemma what I think is some good advice that I read in a health magazine somewhere and so I'll copy here for you: :wink:

Hi Slemma, I'm new here but I think we're probably going thru kind of the same trial- I've gained steadily for the last 2 years since I decided to put an end to all dieting efforts. Now I've realized that I've got to take a more sensible, long-term approach to being healthy. What's hard for me is that I know that being physicall active is an important component to any healthy lifestyle, but I live in the northeast, and am house-bound for six or seven months of the year because it's either to cold or too snowy outside. My solution was to join a local gym that lets me go month-to-month. Fall and winter I'm in the gym, and come spring and summer I cancel my membership and get active outside. I also read some really good advice about calories, the gyst of which was to eat what is "normal" for you for three weeks. The only change is that you must be strict with yourself about writing everything you eat down. Once the three weeks is over, calculate the average number of calories you consume each day by dividing your total calorie intake over the three weeks by 21. If for example you averaged 3,000 calories a day, then just subtract 500 calories a day from that. Over a week you would lose 3,500, which is equal to 1 pound of weight. If you did this for 10 weeks, you'd lose 10 lbs, and so on. Once your weight loss slowed, you'd do the three week calculation again, counting every calorie as before. If you were eating on average 2500 calories per day, you'd reduce it by another 500, and that should be enough to shock your body out of it's "set point." Of course, after another ten weeks you could potentially shed another 10 pounds, but once you reach 2,000 calories, I personally would begin adjusting the number of calories you cut back to something more doable, like 300, and then increasing the amount of time you exercise to make up for the other 200 calories, so you can continue to lose at a rate of 1 lb. per week, which is really a very sensible way of losing weight and keeping it off. That's what I'm doing. I figure it took me 10 years to put all this weight on, I certainly can't ask my body to lose it overnight. Best of luck!
  • pumpkinbran
    Options
    I haven't tried putting a meal in that way, but it sounds like a good idea. I've been using a website called http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. It let's me enter all the measured ingredients, add the number of servings, then calculates the nutritional information per serving. I then (shrink the window down so the MFP and the nutrition windows are next to each other) copy the information over to MFP and name the meal whatever (Mom's Famous Stew).

Steve - I really like the portion idea - breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, dinner like a Pauper.