Help I'm gaining weight on 1300 calories

Options
Everyone, I"m 5'3 175 pounds been doing this diet for two days, and I've gained a pound! Maybe the 1300 calories is too small an amount?? I've also been drinking tons of water, so could that be the reason? On other diets i usually loose around 6 or 7 pounds the first week, and then 1.5 or less after..but i've actually gained weight can't believe it. but i've been drinking more water on this. Someone help!! Has anyone else had this experience

Replies

• hardone1979
    Options
    two days is not enough time to gauge anything. Patience. Be honest about your calories, increase your physical activity, and give it 2-3 weeks. Your weight fluctuates day to day. last Friday I was 228, today after the weekend the scale says 231, by the time I hit Friday again I will be down to 227 or 226.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Chill out and weigh yourself after a week at least.
  • numberonecynic
    numberonecynic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two full days?
  • VSampler
    VSampler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself every Sat. morning before I do anything so I can see how my week went. then that makes me hit the gym before i make excuesed about what i have to do for the kids, hubby or around the house. take care of YOU first for once is my goal....

Hang in there.
  • ChristinaMikhail
    Options
    ok, maybe i'm just anxious haha, but do other people here lose on 1300 cals a day?
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Two full days?

This guy knows whats up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Scales do that. You should give your plan at least two weeks, not two days.
  • sarski77
    Options
    All it takes for me to gain 2lbs is to eat certain food, chickpeas for example.
    Give it time! You don't love 2lbs in 2 days and you certainly don't gain that amount in 2 days if you're sticking to 1300 calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ok, maybe i'm just anxious haha, but do other people here lose on 1300 cals a day?

It really depends on your current size and activity level. If you are going with 1300 be sure that is your net calorie amount (total calories minus exercise calories). If you eat 1300 total calores and then burn off 400 through exercise you are going to risk reducing the amount of calories you burn while at rest, making it harder to lose. If you burn 400, eat closer to 1700 total calories.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have some patience. I weighed in 3 pounds heavier today than I was yesterday; I certainly didn't truly gain 3 pounds.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Two full days?

^^^
    This!!!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself only once a week, at the same time each time. Only then can you get a better gauge of weightloss. Also take measurements each week.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1800 a day, but we're all different. :tongue:

Like everyone else said - it's only been two days. The scale showing a few pounds gained when you first start out is totally normal. Sore muscles will retain water to heal and repair themselves. Changing up your food intake can cause this too - gotta give your body time to adjust.

Give it time! You didn't gain all the weight overnight, you won't lose it overnight either. :smile:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate a lot at the beginning. It could be water retention (most likely). I used to gain weight whenever I started a diet. It took another couple of weeks for results to show. It's not fat weight, I promise!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fresh fruit and veg and limit salt, incase you are retaining water. That will encourage a light natural detox, and your body will let go of the water it's holding to dilute the toxins in your body. Natural teas instead of coffee too. Ans as everyone else is saying, be patient and you'll get there, coming off slower means you're more likely too keep it off too. I know it's so frustrating but hang in there :)
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 at 175 and I'm eating 1650 a day, or trying to at least. You need to figure out your BMR (how many calories your body needs to maintain basic functions) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, this depends on your activity level.) Then you want to eat between your BMR and your TDEE-20%. These numbers depend on a few factors, such as body fat percentage. My BMR is 1595 and my TDEE-20% is 1755. So I'm doing 1650 cals a day. I'm new here but from what I've read if you eat too little you can gain weight or plateau just like eating too much. So I would suggest looking into your BMR and TDEE and figuring out what your body needs. This explains it all
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here is a great calculator I found and use. Takes your height, weight, age, etc into consideration. I know my body being hypothyroid tends to not lose on such a low #. I feel good and lose when I eat anywhere from 1600-1750 in calories a day.

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/